Author Topic: Stolen phone and premium license  (Read 4225 times)

REDACTED

Stolen phone and premium license
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
My phone was stolen a few weeks ago and Avast marked it as lost. Anti-Theft is still active and I am receiving e-mails with its location. Now the phone is on and I want to take a photo with the frontal cam, get contact and calls data or tell the phone to send me a SMS, but Avast Mobile rejects all these commands because they need a premium license. But I have a premium license! I presume that my Gmail account have been deleted from the phone and that is the reason for the reject. So, what is the utility of a premium license if when is needed Avast is not capable to manage the special situation?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Stolen phone and premium license
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »
For some functions to work, the phone needs to be rooted as explained in the manual.
Just go to the police with all the information you have and they should be able to find your phone and get it back for you.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:19:24 PM »
The phone was rooted.
And yes, I reported the theft to police and I have provided all the information that I have, but I could provide even more if Avast was able to recognize my premium license, that is the reason because I pay for it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
Have you tried it through sms and through https://my.avast.com ?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »
Yes:

- through SMS: TAKE PICTURE and SEND SMS commands are only possible through web; GET DATA command needs the actual phone number, and the last avast e-mail about SIM card change only says: "New phone number: InfoSMS"

- through my.avast.com web: for all three commands I get the message "This feature requires a Mobile Premium license avast!"

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
Check if your license is still valid and not expired.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:29:54 PM »
License is valid until 25/08/2015:

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »
Strange, it should work in my opinion.
I suggest you submit a ticket and ask avast about this.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
Thanks, Eddy. I'll consider the ticket.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »
Juan Carlos30, I checked if there is a record for a license of Avast Mobile Premium for email address that's connected with your forum account. However there is no record.
I can see that you've submitted a ticket already. Let's move a conversation to this private channel. Please try to remember what GOOGLE account was on your phone, or provide more details about the order to help us to find your phone...
Quality is also a feature.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »
Juan Carlos30, I checked if there is a record for a license of Avast Mobile Premium for email address that's connected with your forum account. However there is no record.
I can see that you've submitted a ticket already. Let's move a conversation to this private channel. Please try to remember what GOOGLE account was on your phone, or provide more details about the order to help us to find your phone...

A summary - current version of anti-theft lost the license when a theft resets phone to factory settings. That's why Juan's phone in my.avast shows "no license" message. We are working on a fix for next version - to make it work even in these situations. Also a feature to upgrade an Anti-theft to Premium version after the phone was stolen is on the improvement list as it was requested by some users.

thank you
Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
That explain the issue with my stolen phone. I assume that the fix on next version will not be applicable if Anti-theft in the phone can't be updated (because is out of my control, of course).

Thanks anyway, lukas, you are very kind and helpful.