Author Topic: How do I add Avast scan on the context / popup menu (Right-click menu)?  (Read 16360 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: How do I add Avast scan on the context / popup menu (Right-click menu)?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
When you posted quote: "I've noticed that the Avast scan is no longer on the right click menu when selecting something to scan", what you're right/clicking on to get the context menu for either files or folders would apply to your respective "File Manager" function for your OS.   

In the case of Windows it is either "Windows Explorer" unless your OS is WIN8 in which case it is called "File Explorer", in any case whatever the "File Manager" is called this is what your using to right/click on either the files and or folders listed in the "File Manager", RIGHT?

Because outside of the OS's "File Manager" there are some places the right/click context menu does not apply to the Avast scanner.

That is correct. Also the files I'm trying to scan are in either the "Downloads" folder or the "Documents" folder.

And you are selecting one file at a time?  (because selecting too many files can change the context menu as well)

Addendum: Btw, did you reboot after following the install steps provided by Alikhan?

Just checking  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:56:14 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
Well, he'll analyse the system if there are any conflicts with avast etc. Doesn't need to be an issue with malware. He'll reply to the thread when he's online.

How will he analyse my computer? Will he connect to it via online connection?

He'll request logs from software. It's up to you if you want to do it or not. There won't be any private information in logs etc.

Well if it's only log files, then that won't be a problem.

When you posted quote: "I've noticed that the Avast scan is no longer on the right click menu when selecting something to scan", what you're right/clicking on to get the context menu for either files or folders would apply to your respective "File Manager" function for your OS.   

In the case of Windows it is either "Windows Explorer" unless your OS is WIN8 in which case it is called "File Explorer", in any case whatever the "File Manager" is called this is what your using to right/click on either the files and or folders listed in the "File Manager", RIGHT?

Because outside of the OS's "File Manager" there are some places the right/click context menu does not apply to the Avast scanner.

That is correct. Also the files I'm trying to scan are in either the "Downloads" folder or the "Documents" folder.

And you are selecting one file at a time?  (because selecting too many files can change the context menu as well)

Addendum: Btw, did you reboot after following the install steps provided by Alikhan?

Just checking  ;)

Yeah I rebooted the computer. I had to anyway to get out of safe mode.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »
Well, he'll analyse the system if there are any conflicts with avast etc. Doesn't need to be an issue with malware. He'll reply to the thread when he's online.

How will he analyse my computer? Will he connect to it via online connection?

He'll request logs from software. It's up to you if you want to do it or not. There won't be any private information in logs etc.

Well if it's only log files, then that won't be a problem.

Just checking  ;)

Yeah I rebooted the computer. I had to anyway to get out of safe mode.

Wait a second, did you install avast in safe mode? He's asking did you reboot after the install?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »
You should definitely wait for the "malware analyst" to get in touch with you that Alikhan has arranged.  Doing so will eliminate any possible issues that may exist that is causing the missing Avast context menu scanner.

That said FYI, (to do this is for EXPERIENCED users ONLY) there is a way to Add Any Application Shortcut to Windows Explorer’s Context Menu

Again, this is really intended for information purposes ONLY and clearly must be done by an experienced person.  But I thought I'd just put this out there so that you know that this can be done and if by chance this issue is not ultimately resolved then perhaps you would know someone familiar with making changes to the computer registry.  It is a simple tweak, but you should know that making changes to the registry can also cause a lot of damage if it's not done correctly to the point the computer will not even work properly if a mistake is made.  (of course the registry should always be backed up prior to making changes as well, which an experience person would know about as well, just in case a problem arises as a result of the change to the registry).
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 12:14:25 AM »
I'll wait to do anything. It's better to do it with an experts assistance. Thank you all for your help though.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
jamie64326, after the install was done in "Safe Mode" and you then exited "Safe Mode", did you do a reboot (restart) your computer after you exited "Safe Mode"?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »
jamie64326, after the install was done in "Safe Mode" and you then exited "Safe Mode", did you do a reboot (restart) your computer after you exited "Safe Mode"?

I think there is a confusion.

You boot into safe mode and run avast clear from there.

You then boot into normal mode and remove the drivers.

You boot into normal mode again and install avast.

Then there is a final reboot in normal mode.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 12:49:07 AM »
After running "Avast Clear" in "Safe Mode" and then exiting "Safe Mode" then what your saying is to reboot again after going into "System Manager" to find what you referred to as "hidden devices" related to Avast that need to be removed in order to then install Avast and then of course reboot after the final step which is the clean install.

All boots are normal boots except for the "Safe Mode" that "Avast Clear" needs.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 01:18:17 AM »

I think there is a confusion.

You boot into safe mode and run avast clear from there.

You then boot into normal mode and remove the drivers.

You boot into normal mode again and install avast.

Then there is a final reboot in normal mode.

I guess there was some confusion then, seeing that it wasn't clear in your instructions to uninstall the drivers in safe mode or not. Do I try it again?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 01:29:55 AM »
You can also remove drivers in safe mode.

The issue would be if you installed avast in safe mode.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 01:42:18 AM »

Well that's what I did. I uninstalled Avast in safe mode with the cleaner I think it was, and the drivers also in safe mode. Then I rebooted and installed Avast again.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »

Well that's what I did. I uninstalled Avast in safe mode with the cleaner I think it was, and the drivers also in safe mode. Then I rebooted and installed Avast again.

And then I hope you rebooted again.   Therein lies the critical factor here.  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »

And then I hope you rebooted again.   Therein lies the critical factor here.  :)

In which I just performed once again to make sure. No changes.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 02:34:11 AM »
So still no Avast Scanner in the right/click context menu.  :(

Darn, I was hoping this would be the answer as simple as it is.  The "clean install" should have fixed this problem for you.

Well, all that's left apparently is to wait for the "malware analyst" to show up in this thread topic.  To be honest this is not at all a very common problem to my knowledge.

Sorry about that.  :-[

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
I find this strange also. Especially that before I did a factory reset on the computer, I've had no issues with Avast,