Author Topic: About An Alternative Browser  (Read 4833 times)

Yinyang4evry1

About An Alternative Browser
« on: October 09, 2005, 10:14:17 PM »
Even if I were to use Firefox or Opera... Is it useless if I still have Internet Explorer as my default?

And if I were to change from Internet Explorer, don't I need to use it for some kind of updating or something?

Thanks ya'll,
tim ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: About An Alternative Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 10:27:26 PM »
Even if I were to use Firefox or Opera... Is it useless if I still have Internet Explorer as my default?
No, it's not.
You can use the 'safer' browser and problems (attacks, infections...) that happens into the browser will be prevented.

And if I were to change from Internet Explorer, don't I need to use it for some kind of updating or something?
What do you mean? You want to 'remove' IE from your computer? I won't do it...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:30:44 PM »
You don't have to use IE as your default browser, you can set firefox as your default browser.

IE is an integral part of the OS, which when compromised can also compromise the OS, it is used by other elements in windows to display, help files, OE preview pane, etc. so it is important to keep it up to date even if you don't intend to use it.

Windows Update requires that you use activeX and firefox doesn't have that. So you need to either use IE only for windows update (or what I do if need be use Avant to visit windows update).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 10:39:29 PM »
thnx ya'll

cheers,
tim 8)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 10:44:05 PM »
For those who want to check out different browsers:

http://browsers.evolt.org

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 10:54:04 PM »
Hi Yinyang4evry1,

You just leave IE on your computer, but you make sure you have all the latest updates, and changed the default settings to work safe. Then you download your safer browser of choice, either Firefox or Opera, and you take aboard into these browsers some sort of extra browser security. I for instance have Firefox with the following extra extensions AdBlock v5dz nightly 39, a program to prevent block all sort of items on a page, ads etc., NoScript 1.1.3.2 ,a program to temporarily block, allow, always block, allow Javascript on websites, Dr Web anti virus link checker 1.0.7, a scanner that pre-scans all hyperlinks with one click on the update server of Dr. Web in St. Petersburg. A Java Script alert to see if a page is spoofed, ConQuery with the searchengine for SpywareGuide.Com to see if a program is not a roque-program.
I think I have a lot aboard there to make my surfing a bit safer.
To look at the URL crap visited in Internet Explorer, in C: I installed spider 1.0.4.0 by Ward van Wanrooij that shows you the hidden files that are saved by IE. You can delete all your surfing tracks best with Steganos Internet Trace Destructor 7.0.9 Special Edition, there is a free version that works both for the files of Internet Explorer and Firefox as well.

Well have a go, there is more youcan do to make your browser into a bastion look: http://www.anonymizer.com , it is not completely anonymous and it can slow your surfing up, but if you do not want the traces. You leave them anyway.

Keep up safe browsing habits and HAVE FUN SAFE BROWSING,

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
okay i just tried set firefox to default but the computer wont do it
its been like this ever since i left my computer without ANY security when i first bought it

polonus, that saying on the bottom about how we slave and work for safer internet...

wasn't there a time when noone had to worry about it at all...
the good old days...though i wasn't there because had no computer back then

thnx,
tim ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:10:55 PM »
Yes Yinyang4evry1,

Yes that was in the good old days of the wooden dollar. In Paradise they only had RichTextFormat  ;D but then came in the Evil One with a load of malicious script,
and the paradise of the safe browsers was lost. This is the metaphor and this myth is very true to explain to-days sistuation. In to-days virtual world we live one level over hell.

your malware fighter,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

XtremeKirby

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 03:17:36 AM »
wasn't there a time when noone had to worry about it at all...
the good old days..

I miss my Windows 95... never actually had any problems with it, until I started deleting system files. Yes, I admit I was foolish back then, thought the system files was trash. LOL. But I got it back up and running in a flash. I just wish the new systems like Windows XP were that easy to fix, then I wouldn't have to worry about BSODs and such.  :-\

XKirby