Author Topic: [SOLVED] AvastVBoxSVC.exe is always using 17-20% of my CPU power  (Read 3250 times)

REDACTED

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64. A few days ago Avast automatically updated to the latest program version (2015.10.2.2214) - It made explorer.exe crash initially during the first reboot after the update (black desktop background, only mouse cursor visible - Fixed only with a hard reset), but it hasn't happened during subsequent reboots, so I thought it was just a one-off glitch.

I'm not sure if it's related, but afterwards I also noticed that my CPU is constantly being partially used since I updated Avast, and sure enough, opening the task manager and showing all processes from all users reveals that AvastVBoxSVC.exe is always using between 17% and 20% of my CPU power no matter what I'm doing with the PC, even when idle with only Windows and a few background apps running.

My questions are: What does it do? Is it necessary? And is it supposed to be doing that?

I've tried to "fix" it by using the Avast repair tool under the Uninstall menu, but to no avail. My PC is an old mid-end desktop with minor cooling problems which I mainly use for gaming, so I'm not happy with my anti virus constantly using up a portion of my CPU power, considering previous versions of Avast didn't do this.

I'd appreciate any advice people could give me on this. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:02:27 PM by DarkHoodness »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AvastVBoxSVC.exe is always using 17-20% of my CPU power
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
you may try a new clean install and see if anything changes

Uninstall our software using avastclear  https://www.avast.com/en-eu/uninstall-utility

Download  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167184.0

use custom install and only install what you want....

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:27:48 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
Thank you, that was remarkably easy and seems to have solved it for now. AvastVBox now uses no CPU power. :)

I considered doing this earlier, but I wasn't sure if simply uninstalling Avast normally would have removed it completely for a fresh reinstall. AVs are funny that way.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
computers work in mysterious ways   ;D