Author Topic: RANDOM BSODS  (Read 11659 times)

XtremeKirby

RANDOM BSODS
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:36:32 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been getting random BSODs lately. It is getting very annoying. I would be running an program, like say Firefox, then my system would just crash and a BSOD would appear. Many of the parameters stated in the BSODs have 0x000000c5 or 0x100000c5.

I reformatted my hard drive just last week, and after a week or so, random BSODs would start to appear. I had three from the time I reformatted my HD. Two of them (as stated in Event Log) stated that my system rebooted from a bug check, so I have no idea what error it is. One of them stated a BAD POOL CALLER or something similar.

So the problem is, how to I prevent these from happening. It occur to me, that it only happens when I am running a program that uses the internet, like say Firefox or Maxthon. It wouldn't cause a BSOD immediately but somewhere as I am using the program. But it wouldn't happen if I am running Firefox, but using iTunes. But when I switch from iTunes to Firefox, then after a while when I am still running Firefox, BSOD!

Of the three BSODs I had so far, the programs I remember using when they happen where: Firefox, Maxthon, AIM, and Dreamweaver. All which have something to do with the internet, so my best guess is, that it has something to do with it. When using programs like: MS Word, in computer games, iTunes, etc. it doesn't seem to crash.

So could it be these programs? Could it be drivers? Could it also be a faulty memory stick? I only have one memory stick (512MB one). I checked the memory with PC Doctor (an application preloaded with my machine when I bought it, that helps diagnose problems with some system hardware) and my memory passed the test. So could it be a memory fault, or is PC doctor just not good enough?

I really need solutions and answers. Not only is it my PC i am using now, but my other PC as well. Exact same thing happens. The two PCs has almost the same programs installed, kinda like a duplicate. However, the other PC is new, and bought within 6 months. My PC, that I am using now, is about 2 years.

My system specifications:
Windows XP Home SP2
Intel Pentium 4 at 2.53GHZ
512MB RAM (1 stick)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller
2WIRE Homeportal Router
avast! antivirus
Zonealarm
...if you need more, don't hesitate to ask...

Sorry for the long post. I just have to figure out what is causing the BSODs and I figure the best place is to ask the good folks at avast! forum. If there is any more information needed please ask. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just so it won't waste any time, I don't really need information about STOP errors and such. I know how to find information about those.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 03:34:11 AM by XtremeKirby »

MFB

Re: RANDOM BSODS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 02:44:07 AM »
Looking at your sig, you got the latest version of Zone Alarm, try removing your latest Zone Alarm (you should also reboot as well) and install this early version:

Click here to download

I've recieved a BSOD when I surf the web with Firefox as well, found out that it was the problem from latest version of Zone Alarm.  I'm curious on how long  you had the latest version on your PC before the BSOD occurd.  For now, try to do what I posted above and see if it works.    :)

Of the three BSODs I had so far, the programs I remember suing when they happen where: Firefox, Maxthon, AIM, and Dreamweaver.

Whoah you try to sue them cause you recieved the BSOD on your PC?  Isn't that a bit extreme?  :-\ :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 03:02:03 AM by Turkey »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:19:02 AM »
Looking at your sig, you got the latest version of Zone Alarm, try removing your latest Zone Alarm (you should also reboot as well) and install this early version:

Thanks Turkey, I would give it a try. I would try to stay on the internet for a prolong period of time to test it out.

I'm curious on how long  you had the latest version on your PC before the BSOD occurd.

I'm not sure. I also had the lastest version of ZA on my other computer as well.

Whoah you try to sue them cause you recieved the BSOD on your PC?  Isn't that a bit extreme?  Undecided Shocked
LOL.  ;D Whoops.  :o Typo.  ;D I never even saw that myself, you are very observant.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 03:33:36 AM by XtremeKirby »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:45:03 AM »
Hello  XtremeKirby,

Just wanted to say, I'm having the same problem as you. I've even reformated my system a week ago to get rid of BSOD, but seems the problem remains, as time to time I get BSOD when surfing the net, and it's not Firefox fault. What's for sure. It happens for me with Firefox, with IE and with Opera. It may be ZA, as my system is "clean" after reinstallation, but I have the same thing...  :-\

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 06:09:07 AM »

I've been running ZA 6.0.667.0  Pro without a problem I have read that the free version does have quite

a few problems.When I first installed the latest version of ZA I turned off all privacy settings as they have

been causing issues for some user for a long time now. Try turning these off to see if it makes any

difference. If you think about it you probably have other programs on your system that deal with

Cookie Control> Ad Blocking > and Mobile code control that could be causing an adverse impact on your

system after all how many programs do you need to deal with these issues. Most browser these days

deal with cookies Mobile code and Ad Blocking.  Just a thought ???
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

XtremeKirby

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 01:04:37 AM »
Hm... The moment I opened Firefox, my system crashed. Wierd... I was on the system for like about 20 minutes without any crashes, but the moment I opened an internet program, BSOD! And Zonealarm wasn't even on! I turned it off too.

I decided to reinstall my ADSL router. My cousin, who had a similar problem before, using the exact same brand router that I have. My main system is connected the main router via an Ethernet port. My other computer is connected to the router via a wireless ethernet client. I would see if uninstalling them both and reinstall fresh would solve the BSOD problem.

@ p3t3rb0nn,
I don't think I have any adblocking or cookie control program other than the built in adblock in Firefox. I turned off the privacy settings in ZA when it started conlficting with Webshield, so I had the adblocker and cookie control thing gone for a while, but the BSOD still happens.

Well I would get back to see if it was the router that was causing the trouble.

Thanks all.

P.S. This is actually off topic but... does anyone know how to operate an external harddrive? I have a Maxtor external HD and it has an external power source and connects via USB. I was wondering the safest way to disconnect it from my computer? I tried disconnecting it via Safely Remove Hardware, but it said the device is currently in use, please try again later... So, instead I shutdown my computer, then disconnect the USB. Then I would disconnect the power source. Is this safe? The power light is still on when I disconnect the power source, but the busy light isn't on though. So is it safe to do what I did, or is their a better way to do it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 03:34:05 AM »
XtremeKirby, sometimes it's not enough just disable the firewall like you've done.
System crashes because of drivers, Windows Registry, conflicts.
Maybe it's time to change for Kerio or Outpost (free). Maybe just uninstall and go back to version 5.5
After having a lot of problems like this one I NEVER install an update of the firewall without having the good old one setup file in a backup folder  8)
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 03:39:07 AM »
Or use link that I provided above to get the latest early version before the latest version.   :)

XtremeKirby

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 04:24:42 AM »
Oh... so my problem might not be fixed yet?  :-\ Hm...? After reinstalling the router, it seems to be okay on both systems. So far no slow downs or BSODS. But on the other hand, what can you actually test with an hour of activity?  ???

Maybe it's time to change for Kerio or Outpost (free). Maybe just uninstall and go back to version 5.5
I'll wait for another BSOD to come up. If it does then, I would try to use the older 5.5 version Turkey gave me. I'm one of those people that like to keep stuff updated. LOL. (I got the older version downloaded to my system and its ready to go whenever I need it!  ;) )

Thanks again,
xKirby

MFB

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 04:49:54 AM »
I'm one of those people that like to keep stuff updated. LOL.

Me too, but sometimes its best if you down't upgrade it just yet.  The version you just downloaded from the link I posted is version 6.0.631.003 which was the last ver 6 of Zone Alarm before the new version gave me the BSOD.  6.0.631.003  in my PC seems perfectly fine, you shouldn't get any problems from that version.   :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 04:19:23 PM »
Howdy XtremeKirby,

Bill Gates encountered the BSOD himself when demonstrating Win98, so it is a random and common thing. Sometimes it can be a structural thing, programs conflicting, driver problems: the dibeng.dll problem was a renowned one.
If it has to do with accessing  illegal memory of the kernel it could be a forebode of hardware problems. About other things we can read here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000224.htm. Clean out the crap in your computer definitely helps, If bad memory is yer hick-up use these free programs:
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 04:25:19 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »
I used to get a lot of BSOD's on my Compaq until I went to the website and downloaded a lot of updates. Some were drivers and some were to flush the BIOS (whatever that means!?) I hardly ever get them now. Try your computer manufacturer's website, if they have one.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 10:17:28 PM »
some were to flush the BIOS (whatever that means!?)
I think that is meant to be flash the BIOS to update it to the latest BIOS.

Try searching for the Stop error code in google, that is what I did when I got what appeared to be random BSODs and you may find that they aren't so random. I still get the occasionally get stop 0X0000008e and afterwards it usualy generates others on reboot 00000007e.

This forum link helped me to narrow it down to probably poor memory http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1031315908

I have two sticks of mixed origin a 512MB and a 256MB stick. The only common denominator was the greatest majority had two memory sticks and XP, as the processors and video cards differed but tended to be AMD and Nvidia graphic chips.

This may well not be the same stop error/s as yours but that web site annoyances.org is likely to cover many others.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 11:05:24 PM »
Flish, Flash, Floosh, Flush whatever.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

XtremeKirby

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
I used to get a lot of BSOD's on my Compaq until I went to the website and downloaded a lot of updates. Some were drivers and some were to flush the BIOS (whatever that means!?) I hardly ever get them now. Try your computer manufacturer's website, if they have one.
Hey, what a coincidence! Both of my computers are Compaqs! Its seems like I have most of the necessary driver updates, including the BIOS update.

I also checked by system with PC Doctor, the utility that was built in to my computer. It checks the system for hardware issues. I checked the Memory Module, and the program said my memory stick is fine, all the tests pass. (I only have one 512mb stick BTW)

some were to flush the BIOS (whatever that means!?)
I still get the occasionally get stop 0X0000008e and afterwards it usualy generates others on reboot 00000007e.
BSODs are annoying. When I leave my desk wth my computer on and come back down the hall and see a blue reflection on the door, right away it must be a BSOD. I don't like the color blue anymore...  :'(

My cousin once had random BSODs as well. Both of his computers where connected the same way as I did, with the main router installed on one computer, and a Wireless transmitter on the other. Well, one day, he just decided to unplug the Wireless Transmitter and guess what? The computer with the main router started getting random restarts as soon as his computer turns on. The other computer was already crashing every 30 minutes, so he totally reformatted both computers and started fresh, and seemed like the BSODs never occured again, as far as I know.

Therefore, it seemed like both of my computers are being stable. So crashes so far. Already on for an hour and nothing. Usually when I am on firefox for this long, it would just crash. I cross my fingers and hope it solves the problem.  8)

Thanks for everything you guys.
@polonus and DavidR: I am going to bookmark those pages you gave me, as it would come in handy someday. Thanks!
XKirby