Author Topic: RANDOM BSODS  (Read 11658 times)

XtremeKirby

Re: RANDOM BSODS
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 04:28:36 AM »
Oh great, after I thought my computer won't crash anymore it just did while using Firefox.  :'(

So I guess it isn't my Router's fault after all, but something else... Then it could have been Zonealarm as Turkey mentioned. I was browsing Devianart.com for a while and it just crashed suddenly. Could it be that the high amount of image downloads caused Zonealarm to just give up and crash the entire system? Or could it be my hardware firewall giving up and crashing? It just seemed to me that after the BSOD and my computer restarted, my internet gateway was deactivated for a minute (not the physical hardware, but the tray icon was grayscaled which means the homeportal was deactivated.) But I doubt this would be the problem, because it seemed like this was the first time I saw it deactivated.

Well, my only workaround as of now is using the older version of Zonealarm. Hope it really solves the problem.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 04:30:25 AM by XtremeKirby »

Mastertech

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 03:03:02 PM »
Kirby,

Post the full BSOD error message. The only things that can really cause them are drivers, viruses and defective or misconfigured Hardware.

Run through: Diagnose XP Guide and see if you find anything wrong. The diagnostics here are better then PC Doctor.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 03:10:05 PM by Mastertech »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 05:41:51 PM »
It's very strange, but the BSOD has absolutely no STOP error messages nor the 10 digit STOP number. Believe me, I would know the STOP messages (for example: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which actually happened to me a long time ago, not the current one) and the STOP numbers like 0x0000000CE or something similar.

But I DID NOT get any of the sort. I was wondering why as well. I don't remember what the other words said, but I know for sure it has no STOP error messages nor numbers nor does it state the driver causing the problem. Can anyone help me with this? I'm pretty sure a normal BSOD (if it is normal) has STOP numbers and messages, but the ones I currently are having doesn't have anything. And by the way, there was no error reporting after restarted stating that 'my computer has recovered from a serious problem'.

@Mastertech
Thanks for the link BTW, it looks helpful.

XKirby

EDIT: I checked the event log, and the event source was a Save Dump. It said: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805505a1). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. I have no idea what this means, an ideas are appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:08:26 PM by XtremeKirby »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 06:39:51 PM »
Can't you find anything here?
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

You could search Microsoft Knowleadge Database for 0x0000000CE or 0x000000c5

0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
An attempt occurred to touch invalid memory at a process IRQL that is too high. This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

Error Message:
STOP 0x000000C5 DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL {KB 291810} Win 2000
Computer May Hang During a Heavy Load with an Ericsson HIS Modem {KB 319810} Win 2000, Win XP
The best things in life are free.

XtremeKirby

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 01:41:24 AM »
A driver that has corrupted the system pool, eh? I believe it could be a software driver, because I don't really have much hardware drivers that wasn't pre-installed into my computer except a few (Flash Drive, MP3 Player, External Harddisk, Webcam, Router, and Camera) I doubt any of these may be causing a problem could they? Like Turkey said earlier that it was Zonealarm causing this problem. Does anyone else have a problem with ZA and BSODs? Or do you believe that my hardware that I listed could be causing a problem? I'm just wondering.

Thanks.
XKirby

Mastertech

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 02:44:41 AM »
I use Zonealarm all the time and have been for years and never got any BSOD with it. Currently I am using the ZA Security Suite. While the v6 is buggy, no serious crashes have been observed. With BSOD I always like to start by checking you RAM, use Memtest86+ and see if you find anything. With Driver related BSOD XP has always referenced the Driver causing the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 05:42:42 AM »
Like Turkey said earlier that it was Zonealarm causing this problem. Does anyone else have a problem with ZA and BSODs? Or do you believe that my hardware that I listed could be causing a problem? I'm just wondering.
Could be ZoneAlarm for sure... but, did you try to uninstall it and check?
The best things in life are free.