Author Topic: XP - Home Network Security  (Read 2208 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
XP - Home Network Security
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
HI all,
updated through the GUI , 2214 > 2215 and now I see there is something called "Home Network Security"
installed that wasn't there before.  (I can see this in control panel/ add-remove programs/avast / change)

Any info appreciated.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: XP - Home Network Security
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »
I suggest you read the announcements of releases on this webboard and the avast website.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:10:24 PM »
Thanks, I found the page below, so now i know what it is.
https://blog.avast.com/2014/11/04/avast-2015-new-feature-home-network-security-scanning/

The second point of my post is to ask why it was installed through a GUI update,
when it was not installed prior to said update ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:41:06 PM »
Thanks, I found the page below, so now i know what it is.
https://blog.avast.com/2014/11/04/avast-2015-new-feature-home-network-security-scanning/

The second point of my post is to ask why it was installed through a GUI update,
when it was not installed prior to said update ?

Sorry for the confusion on my part as to the meaning of your question.  You had said it was "updated through the GUI , 2214 > 2215" and so the only answer I can come up with considering I'm a bit confused as to the question is that as the link you posted above states as to part of the title to that link, it is an "Avast 2015 new feature" as the linked title states.  I apologize if your question means more than this, but it would appear it's as simple as that this is a "new feature" for Avast2015 and was not available on previous versions of Avast.  I must be missing something, but that's what I come up with as an answer, sorry if I've misunderstood your question (and if I have please clarify).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:44:56 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »
No, your question is valid, and occurred to me also.

I would have mentioned it myself, save for the fact that a 2nd XP PC has 2214 installed,
and while this component is available, it is not installed, since that instance of avast was from a clean, custom install.

So I'm reporting a PC that gained this component after updating through the GUI
when it was originally in the state described as above.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised - I've seen numerous reports of items mysteriously appearing after
such an update ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:25:06 AM »
Personally I think that is part of the problem, Avast is more and more trying to be all encompassing and thus try and do everything that has to do with security which can become not only a daunting task for an AV program in the first place but also for the most part result in an increasingly bloated application.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
A similar thing happened to me on an XP PC.
I upgraded AIS from 2214 to 2215 via the GUI and previously not-installed components were installed, most notably the Avast Firewall which hasn't worked for me with XP since version 2015.10.xxxx was introduced.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25