Author Topic: Why does aswFe.exe, supposedly the NG front end, randomly clock up high cpu  (Read 3562 times)

REDACTED

Why does the Avast process aswFe.exe, on occasion, force a cpu to work on overtime - what does this process do?

I have an older laptop (1.5ghz dual core, 2gb ram from around 2008 with windows 7, runs fine), but occasionally avast will cause the cpu to go crazy and shoot up to 80c+. It seems to be down to this single process. It normally runs at around 50c, 60c when hard working, then mysteriously shoots right up to 80c. I check out why, and it's the above process.

At first I thought a firewall used might be incompatible causing Avast to not work correctly (no doubt both program developers will blame each other-have tried both windows firewall and comodo-same issue), eg preventing any Avast process from working or sending-collecting online data etc, stuck in some sort of loop.
I have also had this issue on 8.1. On my new system from last year, it does the same, although the temp is nowhere near as high as you would expect, but it still overworks unnecessarily.

I am considering finding a lighter replacement for avast on both systems as no changes to any settings I have tried are causing this process to stop misbehaving. Does Avast have any plans of ever releasing a minimal version of it's software without an arguably bloated frontend, eg one that can work or switch to the classic windows shell, if this is what this process seemingly relates to? Being able to do so would likely improve efficiency on older systems, if this process was unused as a result. I know modern frontends are aimed towards newer systems, but there are plenty of older computer users out there in the home and business that need efficient anti-malware. I know some local businesses are still stuck on xp systems from 2000, so for systems with integrated graphics, I would wonder just how well avast now works compared to a few years ago :) Thanks for any info

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Since your post was about to leave page 1 on this board, I thought I'd refer you to this thread topic on the subject: Avast NG / Secure Virtual Machines renders Windows System Protection useless which may be of some help to you.  That is if you don't mind traversing through 4 pages of posts.  That said, the initial post may apply to your thoughts on the topic as to corroborating your experience.

And this topic may also be of help to you as well:  NG option no longer selectable choice during manual Install .

As to your question, I suspect Avast has no intentions of releasing a so called "lite" or "minimal" version of Avast, however that is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.