Author Topic: Updated to latest version of Avast!, AvastEmergencyUpdate no longer works.  (Read 8299 times)

REDACTED

So I installed the latest version of avast from scratch. (Via avastclear) and it seems that it fixed my web shield crashing issue, but now I have a new issue in where the AvastEmergencyUpdate file no longer works, I click on it to auto-create a scheduled task like I did in the previous versions but when I do, the process doesn't activate at all, as seen in my process monitor logs.

I can't create a scheduled task for it either, reinstalled it like 2-3 times now, not sure what's going on. :/ Emergency Update is an important part of receiving updates too, isn't it?

It seems a lot of components aren't working in this new version either, I have the rootkit scan option activated but on startup, it never scans. And there's a much lower memory usage, as if some things in the program are not starting.

In regards to the EmergencyUpdate problem... I can't get it to work at all, running the .exe from the avast folder does nothing, the process monitor shows no exe running in the HDD at all. I've never had this problem before and doing a fresh reinstall doesn't help, tried about 3 times now.

Can someone help? :/ I was hesitant to update as it is, and finally mustered the courage to do it today and have created more problems than I had before.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:02:43 PM by Braver »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Avast creates it own task for emergency update, there is no need for you to do anything :)

REDACTED

Avast creates it own task for emergency update, there is no need for you to do anything :)

It didn't though. I checked the Task Manager and there is no sign of Avast! Emergency Update at all. Also... when you check the option "perform a root scan on startup" or something like that, before (on previous version), I was monitoring these scans and it always had a CATROOT scan done on startup. As of this version it does no scan at all. Is this normal?

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !

It didn't though. I checked the Task Manager and there is no sign of Avast! Emergency Update at all. Also... when you check the option "perform a root scan on startup" or something like that, before (on previous version), I was monitoring these scans and it always had a CATROOT scan done on startup. As of this version it does no scan at all. Is this normal?

From my perspective I can only say that in version 2014 there will be an Avast Emergency updater in the task scheduler.

I've personally disabled it because it is my understanding that it is used exclusively for updating the Avast program and since I'm using Avast2014 there is no reason for this.

I would like verification from somebody however that this is correct, that is that this emergency updater is for the sole purpose to update the Avast program?  THANKS!!!
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Since it is a scheduled task, you will not see it in the taskmanager until it actually is running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

As far as I'm aware, the Emergency Update process is only on the Task Manager whilst it is running the check for and update if one is present. After that it closes.

I have only ever seen it if I get Task Manger open very quickly after boot, after a short time it is gone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Yes, of course it would be absolutely correct to say that the executable "Avast Emergency Updater" process and/or application would only be present in the "Task Manager" in the event that it were running, on the other hand it is always present in the "Task Scheduler" (which is where I disabled it, for the reason I've already posted).  It is my understanding it is for the exclusive purpose of updating the Avast program (of which I had requested verification, but I'm pretty certain this must be the case).
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Yes, of course it would be absolutely correct to say that the executable "Avast Emergency Updater" process and/or application would only be present in the "Task Manager" in the event that it were running, on the other hand it is always present in the "Task Scheduler" (which is where I disabled it, for the reason I've already posted).  It is my understanding it is for the exclusive purpose of updating the Avast program (of which I had requested verification, but I'm pretty certain this must be the case).

It doesn't update the Avast Program.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
From Igor:
The emergency updater is meant only for (hypothetical) cases when something (a bad program update, a bad virus definition update) breaks avast! in such a way that its unable to update anymore in the usual way. So, instead of releasing some fix on the web and telling the users to download and run it manually (which might be hard for many users) - this would be the way to deliver it automatically. So the "emergency update" is something like "emergency repair if something went really wrong".

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !

It doesn't update the Avast Program.

It was my understanding that it would, it appears my opinion is corroborated, refer to Eddy's post above in which case under certain circumstances it actually would apparently.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
I would add that I understand that is not the usual manner in which the Avast program is updated in that the "Avast Emergency Updater" would necessarily update the Avast Program only in certain unique circumstances.  I was unaware that this would also apply to the "virus data base" as well which I find a bit odd considering that the "virus data base" is updated all the time so one would think that it would just be a matter of the next update to the VPS data base is all that would be necessary.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Braver, it occurs to me that perhaps the utilization of the "Emergency Updater" was perhaps how the 2208 version was delivered which would possibly explain why those third-party download sites had such small size download files for that version of Avast (as you might recall when referred to them as possibly a bit "dodgy"), otherwise I have no explanation for that oddity.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Braver, it occurs to me that perhaps the utilization of the "Emergency Updater" was perhaps how the 2208 version was delivered which would possibly explain why those third-party download sites had such small size download files for that version of Avast (as you might recall when referred to them as possibly a bit "dodgy"), otherwise I have no explanation for that oddity.

The Emergency Updater has never changed my program version.

REDACTED

yah i notice the normal AvastEmergencyUpdate task that has been in Task Scheduler forever is no longer there is with up.

Note not talking about it not show up in taskmanager talking about there is no entry for it in task scheduler anymore

REDACTED

I did manage to find the Avast Emergency Update in Task Scheduler. Problem is, it's in the actually Task Library, whilst before it actually used to be in my full list of Scheduled Tasks.

Also... whenever I did a fresh reinstall of any version of the program... usually I would manually open the AvastEmUpdate.exe (as reinstalliing Avast! bugs the task out a lot. Uninstalling doesn't actually remove the task... and then when you reinstall, it removes the task) and it would run in the hard drive activity in my process monitor and that would automatically create a task for it in the list.; But this time, clicking on the process does nothing. It doesn't even seem to run.

Overall, though... the install of 2012 seems to be Ok for now, no web shield crashing, for sure. I know what the EmUpdate does, but it's an integral part of the program, is it not? It's supposed to be the backup process for when VPS updates or anything in general fails to do so.

It says the next time the process will run is later today so I'll see if it creates one later.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:58:17 AM by Braver »