Author Topic: a2  (Read 3962 times)

justin1278

a2
« on: October 07, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »
will a2 conflict with avast?

MFB

Re: a2
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:20:55 AM »
You mean a-squared?  Nope, most of us use avast! along with a-squared perfectly fine. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:54:30 PM »
will a2 conflict with avast?
For sure, the free non-resident version will not conflict.
I never tested the paied version with resident guard but, as far I know, it won't conflict either  :)
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »
ok thanks

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:07:37 AM »
I was considering using A2 for a backup Scanner to Avast but I don't like the interface with all of the buttons for the paid version when I only want a FREE version.

I was wondering what would be a good FREE backup AV scanner.

There are the following FREE version's for Scanning available that I know of:
A2 Squared
Bitdefender
AVG 6 Free version

That all install software on the PC

Then there are the FREE Online versions:
Kapersky Online
Panda ActiveScan Online

I'm not real excited about how well AVG updates their Virus Database.  I've already said what I don't like about A2, otherwise it looks very good.  Kapersky look okay.  I like how Panda ActiveScan offers a button to launch their scan quickly, but then again they download 8 MB of ActiveX Controls for the Online Scan (which I suppose Kapersky will do also probably for the Onlline Scan).

What I would like is a reliable FREE Virus scanner backup that has a small footprint and doesn't make an issue that there is a paid version which is "a lot better".  Also if Online Scanners do not have to download a Virus Signature Database that would be a good thing as long as a Dial-up would not be a problem considering the time needed to scan the entire system.

My Questions:
1) I was wondering if the Online versions would save on storage as far as not only the software, but ALSO as far as the SIGNATURE DATABASE not being uploaded if it is accessed Online ?

2) Do the Online versions use a Database Onsite ?  If so then why does Panda Activescan have Automatic Updates as a feature of the Online Scan ?

3) If the Online Scan still downloads the Virus Signature Database to the PC then what would be the advantage of having Online Scanning ?

4) Also would Online Scanning not be advisable for Dial-up ?

5) Suggestions or recommendations ?

Thanks in advance (I was unable to search this topic out in the forum)  ;D

If there is a link then by all means just kindly link me up  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »
Hi lakrsrool,

Check out the possibilities here:

http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/antivir.htm
http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/antivir2.htm

AntiVir have apparently added incremental updates, so hopefully their updates are now faster.

Ewido is good. From experience, I'd say the detection rate is possibly better than a2.

http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/antitrojan.htm
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 09:32:01 AM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »
AntiVir have apparently added incremental updates, so hopefully their updates are now faster.
But the servers are bad or too busy... it's not easy, at least here, get the AntiVir updates... the user has a lot of trouble to get connection to their update servers... I know it could be temporary or in my country but, after all, updates are updates... if you can't get it, they're not that good  :P
The best things in life are free.