Author Topic: Can't boot computer - last file to load in safe mode is aswrvrt.sys  (Read 6112 times)

REDACTED

Hi, I have seen similar topics related to not being able to boot my computer.  When I turn on the computer, it acts like it is starting windows but then screen goes blank and hangs.  There is a white arrow cursor that I can move around the screen but the screen is blank and the computer will not progress from this state.

If I attempt to start the computer in safe mode by pressing F8 on startup, it shows me a list of windows files that are loading.  The last one listed is "aswrvrt.sys", and then the screen goes blank with the arrow and hangs.

Ideally, I'd like to resolve the issue but I would settle for recovering a few recently updated files and calling it a day.  Open to suggestions on where to go here.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can't boot computer - last file to load in safe mode is aswrvrt.sys
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:19:09 AM »
See: "If you cannot  Boot the computer"
Instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Hi, thanks for the link.  The instructions were great but unfortunately the results - not so much.  I made the boot CD/DVD and attempted to boot from it.  Got the message saying "Starting Reatogo-X-PE " (so far so good).  After about 3 minutes, I get a "Microsoft Windows XP" screen (for about 10 seconds) and then I get a blue screen with the message below... Any other ideas or things to try? 

Thanks in advance, Tony

Bluescreen Message below:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.  Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP:  0x0000007B  (0xF78DA528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »
That means inaccessible device...  What version of windows do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
Windows 7 ... sorry but I don't know if it is 32 or 64 bit (it is a Dell Inspiron Core i5 laptop - about 3 years old if that helps?)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »
This works best from a USB stick 4GB will be big enough

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

1.  Rufus 

For 64bit systems  
2. Windows 7 64bit RC
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 

For 32bit systems
2.  Windows 7 RC
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool  

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus

Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon. 

Press Start Burn

Then copy FRST to the same USB   

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer.  First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB 
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

Windows 7 and Vista screenshots 

When you reboot you will  see this.
 Click repair my computer  

Select your operating system  

Select Command prompt 

At the command prompt type the following  :

notepad and press Enter
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad. 
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe  or  e:\frst.exe dependant on system
 and press Enter 
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive. 
The tool will start to run. 
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. 

Press Scan button. 
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
This may be a dumb question but where do I get an ISO file for Windows 7 for Rufus?  I have a Dell and do not have Windows disks if that is what I need.

Not sure if this helps, but I found a bootable repair disk (DVD) that I made a while back.  Using it, I can get to a command prompt but when I boot up in that mode, it doesn't recognize the USB drive so can't run the FRST tool.

By the way, thank you very much for the assistance.  It feels like I'm getting closer to something!  Tony

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:09 AM »
Saga continues ... I created the bootable USB drive with Rufus using the ISO file - thank you.  I was able to boot and get to a DOS prompt and open notepad.  It tells me I have the drives as specified below.  From this I assume it is the F: drive that is my USB device with the FRST64 file, but in this state the F drive is not readable.  When I attempt to execute "f:\frst64.exe" a new window pops up that says "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1."  If I try a "dir f:" dos comes back with "The device is not ready".

Other thoughts?

Hard Disk Drives (3)
  RECOVERY (C:)
  OS (D:)
  Boot (X:)

Devices with Removable Storage (2)
  CD DRIVE (E:)
  Removable Disk (F:)

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:41:09 AM »
Finally managed to boot and then also be able to use the USB drive that I booted from to run the FRST64.exe tool.  Results are attached.   I assume this means something to you?? 

And again, thank you very much for your assistance - very much appreciated!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
Hi two things to try :

First we will run a chkdsk from the recovery console Command Prompt

At the command prompt type the following and press enter :

chkdsk c: /r

Allow this to complete and then try a reboot.  If it should fail to boot then do the following

Download the attached Fixlist.txt to the same USB as FRST
Start FRST as before and press fix
Allow to complete and then try another reboot

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
chkdsk of my c: drive ran without errors
chkdsk of my d: drive is in process and is very busy.  Had about 10 minutes of scrolling "recovering_ophaned_file" messages.  I'm about 20 minutes in and stuck at 11% but still working.  I'll try to let it finish.

What is interesting:  In this mode, my install and data seems to be on the d: drive and there is a separate "recovery" partition that I guess I didn't realize was there that is listed as my c: drive.  I'm used to seeing my data on the c: drive and I don't recall ever seeing the recovery partition.

Anyway, I was able to pull files I really need off the d: drive last night using the DOS copy commands so I'm a bit less stressed today. 

Is it possible to tell at this point if this is a hardware or a malware issue?

I'll repost if/when chkdsk completes.  Thanks again for the super support! 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:30 PM »
Not overly sure at this stage, a few Avast files appear to be corrupted this may be due to drive errors.  But, the FRST fix will disable all those drivers if chkdsk does not fix it 

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:21:17 PM »
Reboot after running CHKDSK - Did not work
I then ran FRST64.exe with the fix file you sent on the USB drive and hit the "fix" button - Computer did not boot after this either.

Any other options or should I go ahead and replace the drive?  I actually have one that I think will work.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
I should imagine that the safe mode now hangs on mup.sys which would indicate a windows file system problem

Do you have a disc image or backup ?

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »
Drat, changed the drive already so not sure where it hangs in safe mode ... you want me to put it back in and check?

On your second point, apparently I do not have a disc image to install.  I thought my recovery disk had one but I was wrong.  Do I need to get this from Dell or Microsoft or do I need to repurchase Windows 7?