Author Topic: My add-on is rated 2 stars in FF, but rated 5 start in Chrome  (Read 4243 times)

REDACTED

Hello! I'm the developer of the multibrowser add-on called "Godville UI+". I want to ask why my add-on is rated 2 stars in FF, but rated 5 start in Chrome?

What can I do in order that my FF users don't get proposals from Avast! to remove it?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: My add-on is rated 2 stars in FF, but rated 5 start in Chrome
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
I want to ask why my add-on is rated 2 stars in FF, but rated 5 start in Chrome?
Because avast is using a entirely other algorithm to create the rating. What is used is explained on the avast blog website as well as in threads on this webboard.
What can I do in order that my FF users don't get proposals from Avast! to remove it?
Basically nothing. It is up to the user if he wants to remove it or ignore the message from avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
Hello! I'm the developer of the multibrowser add-on called "Godville UI+". I want to ask why my add-on is rated 2 stars in FF, but rated 5 start in Chrome?
<snip image>

I don't know for sure why the different rating between the browsers - only possibility is it is more popular in Chrome than Firefox, spread across avast users.

You can certainly contact avast with the quandary:
There is an on-line contact form, http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles for:  * Sales inquiries; Technical issues; etc.

I would also give a link back to this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
I think the OP means the Chrome store and the avast rating in FF.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
Because avast is using a entirely other algorithm to create the rating. What is used is explained on the avast blog website as well as in threads on this webboard.

I don't know for sure why the different rating between the browsers - only possibility is it is more popular in Chrome than Firefox, spread across avast users.

For what I've found I learned that an add-on reputation is all about whether an add-on is from Chrome Webstore or AMO (addons.mozilla.org) and users install/remove rate. It's not about security, so scam add-ons for Chrome might get high reputation. And if someone not from the target audience of my add-on installs it by mistake and then removes it - bam! reputation goes down. I've read that despite being good add-on it might have bad reputation, so avast! will propose to remove it. What's the point of that? I don't understand.

I think that avast! thinks, that all add-ons for FF not from AMO is bad. And it happened that my add-on for FF is hosted by github, and add-on for Chrome is published on Chrome WebStore.

P.S.: and captchas are really hard. I changed it ~10 times before I could recognize the letters.

I think the OP means the Chrome store and the avast rating in FF.

You think? I posted the image showing my issue in the first post.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:43:48 PM by Badluck Dicey »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
As an avast user I can only suggest using the contact form, anything else is outside of my control.

The captchas are only for the first 3 posts, an anti spam measure (why they need to be hard), unfortunately all new forum members suffer as a result.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
You can certainly contact avast with the quandary:
There is an on-line contact form, http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles for:  * Sales inquiries; Technical issues; etc.

I would also give a link back to this topic.
As an avast user I can only suggest using the contact form, anything else is outside of my control.

So I did. Thanks.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Hello,
thanks for notice. I got reply from BCU developers, that this should be fixed now.

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
Hello,
thanks for notice. I got reply from BCU developers, that this should be fixed now.

Milos
It's indeed fixed now. Thank you very much.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 05:36:48 PM »
So then Badluck, I think you'd agree that it's certainly a good thing you took the time to bring this up.  :)  Sure makes you wonder what was the deal in the first place.  ???
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
Hello,

Milos
It's indeed fixed now. Thank you very much.

Certainly worth the hassle with captcha, happy that you have it resolved.