Author Topic: Avast Outlook/Exchange provider service causes Outlook to crash  (Read 3075 times)

deffexor

Avast Outlook/Exchange provider service causes Outlook to crash
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:51 AM »
I recently replaced an old copy of Norton Anti-virus Corporate edition with Avast 4.x Home for someone running WinXP and using Outlook (2000, I think).

Works great except that when the person selects an email and hits their delete key, Outlook crashes.

I tried going into the control panel for the Outlook provider service and hitting "pause". But it has no effect. I also went into Outlook under Tools => Other => Advanced Settings => Add-in Manager and unchecked Avast 4 and restarted Outlook. The crashing stopped.

I've already pulled this person's hard drive from their computer and put it in my personal machine (which is clean) and used an external USB Hard drive enclosure to house their drive. I scanned the whole thing with Avast. No viruses were found. So I'm pretty sure their computer is free of viruses and spyware.

Since this person only uses Outlook for POP3 accounts, is it safe to leave the Outlook module/add-in disabled? Do they still get email protection with the regular Avast mail scanner? Or do I need to try to figure out why the Outlook/Exchange module is causing Outlook to crash when they send emails to the trash.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Outlook/Exchange provider service causes Outlook to crash
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:20:47 AM »
All kinds of problems can appear if Norton isn't completely uninstalled before installing another av.

1) Delete Norton completely
How to completely remove Norton (Symantec): http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
2) Delete Avast
3) Reboot
4) Install Avast

That should solve it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Outlook/Exchange provider service causes Outlook to crash
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:44:33 PM »
I recently replaced an old copy of Norton Anti-virus Corporate edition with Avast 4.x Home for someone running WinXP and using Outlook (2000, I think).
Corporate Edition  ::)
Hope Symantec could guide you on uninstallation. Like Eddy said, the major problem seems to be this.

Since this person only uses Outlook for POP3 accounts, is it safe to leave the Outlook module/add-in disabled? Do they still get email protection with the regular Avast mail scanner? Or do I need to try to figure out why the Outlook/Exchange module is causing Outlook to crash when they send emails to the trash.
If you uninstall Outlook plugin, the Internet Mail provider should scan your email into MS Outlook too. But, correcting the problem in the deep (removing Norton) will be better.
The best things in life are free.