Author Topic: Avast wont run in sys tray  (Read 16168 times)

grandpaj

Avast wont run in sys tray
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »
Hi

I have just installed Avast Home edition but for the life of me cant get it to load iin the sys tray at startup. Ive checked the settings and all "seems" to be OK. There must be something Ive missed. Can anyone help please.

OS XP home SP2
Also running, ZASS,ADaware,Spybot,Spyblaster,Ewido

Cheers
Grandpaj
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 09:12:37 AM by grandpaj »

peter1

Re: Avast wont run in sys tray
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 12:24:05 PM »
Grandpaj

Have you got show icon in systems tray ticked in Settings> Appearance?

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »
After checking what Peter said, can you try to repair your installation? Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Do you have (or had) any other antivirus in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

grandpaj

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:41:23 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your help, but Ive tried all of these. I am running ZASS but have had no prob in the past, mind you then I had XPPrSP2 installed. Maybe XPhome doesnt like these 2 running together although I doubt it. Unless I got a corrupt download, I did re download. So unfortunately I may have to go without Avast. On my previous installation I found it absolutely great.

Any further thoughts would still be appreciated. ( I have the same prob with Spybot, can't get teatimer to hold its setting)

Cheers

Grandpaj

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 10:55:59 PM »
I am running ZASS
What is ZASS ?

but have had no prob in the past, mind you then I had XPPrSP2 installed. Maybe XPhome doesnt like these 2 running together although I doubt it.
Windows Home or Professional work the same with avast!

I have the same prob with Spybot, can't get teatimer to hold its setting
What I can see is that you MUST disable TeaTimer to install avast! and get the icon.
TeaTimer will avoid the ashdisp.exe to be added into the startup registry entries.

grandpaj

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:22:05 AM »
Hi guys

That did the trick. Spybot although not showing in the sys tray was in fact running.o I disabled and all is sweet.

Many thanks

Grandpaj

rajhans

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:43:48 AM »
Well... I am a new face here :)  And I am facing a similar problem.

Since the problem and the PC environment in which it is happening seem almost akin, I am not repeating it.   8)  I followed through the remedial steps you suggested above.  But unlike Grandpaj I wast lucky.  :'(

There is one difference, however.  When I click on the Windows Security Alerts icon, I get to see a message under 'virus protection' which says "avast! antivirus 4.6.691 reports that it is upto date and virus scanning is on".  But, try whatever means, I cannot see the avast icon in my system tray. 

Any tips, please? :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:46:32 PM »
You to will have to answer the same questions Grandpaj answered so we know more about your system, otherwise we too will be repeating ourselves.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rajhans

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »
Ok... here it is... :)

Version 4.6.691 of  Avast Home edition Downloaded)
OS on my PC is Windows XP.
I use SP2 Firewall; Lavasoft Adaware;  Spyboat & Secretmaker.

The Resident scanner is set properly in the AVAST settings.  The icon, within a second or so of its appearance in the system tray,  vanishes, never to appear again. 

After  reading your advice to Grandpaj, I disabled the Firewall and the Spywares, making sure my system tray is vacant. Still, the AVAST icon that appeared, as narrated earlier, refused to stay on. ::)

Is there any way, I could get the 'eye' back, please?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 05:50:34 PM »
Did you try what Tech suggested uninstall, boot, install if all else failed?

Is ashDisp.exe showing in the Task Manager Process list?

I had no idea what secretmaker was but on checking it would appear that it could be causing conflict as it some of the areas may block or potentially conflict with avast and in cases like this rather than have a conflict avast doesn't install fully.

I suggest you uninstall avast, reboot, ensure that secretmaker is completely disabled ensure any resident functions, services and startup entires are disabled. Then install avast again and see if that allows for a full installation with avast.

If that works I would suggest you disable elements of secretmaker that are being covered by avast any anti-virus, trojan, functions that are resident otherwise you may have conflicts with two resident scanners scanning the same file/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 08:09:09 PM »
Tech, i think ZASS stands for ZoneAlarm Security Suite...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

peter1

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 02:11:57 AM »

Hi

In my humble opinion  Zone Alarm isn't good enough to be offered even as a free firewall. It's updates are unreliable and have been known to cause all sorts or problems. I know I used the blo*dy thing for about 18 months and most of my download problems could be traced to ZA.

For the last 2 years I've used Agnitum's Outpost as my firewall and it has never conflicted with a download, I have had no unauthorised intruders and it works. It's free also. ;D

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Outpost_Firewall_Free_d1056.html

Peter

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 03:55:58 PM »
Much as I hate to contradict you Peter1, but the free version of Outpost hasn't had any development in the time that you have used it, still on version 1.0. That scares me and was a major reason to upgrade to the Pro version which I have had for about a year, now on version 3.0. A firewall that isn't being actively developed is liable to exploit as the malware writers don't stop development of their ways to bypass firewalls.

Unfortunately, the pro version 3.0 is now in danger of getting bloated as it attempts to be all things to all men. It now has an Anti-Spyware Plug-in that can be resident, I tested it for a very short time (not conflicts with avast) and it added well over 1000 extra file accesses on boot during testing so it was disabled pronto.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 04:02:46 PM »
Much as I hate to contradict you Peter1, but the free version of Outpost hasn't had any development in the time that you have used it, still on version 1.0. That scares me and was a major reason to upgrade to the Pro version which I have had for about a year, now on version 3.0. A firewall that isn't being actively developed is liable to exploit as the malware writers don't stop development of their ways to bypass firewalls.
Fully agree... seems the company release the free version for advertisement and then let the users only with the Pro.
I hate when they change freeware policies  >:( :(
Whithout development, software dies. Just this.

Unfortunately, the pro version 3.0 is now in danger of getting bloated as it attempts to be all things to all men. It now has an Anti-Spyware Plug-in that can be resident, I tested it for a very short time (not conflicts with avast) and it added well over 1000 extra file accesses on boot during testing so it was disabled pronto.
I've tested that feature for a few days. Again, I agree with you, it's becoming a bloatware... ZA has both antispyware and antivirus...
On contrary, I think antispyware is nearer to antivirus technoloagy and not firewall.

peter1

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »
Much as I hate to contradict you Peter1, but the free version of Outpost hasn't had any development in the time that you have used it, still on version 1.0.

David

Thanks for that information. Now I realize I don't understand the purpose of a Firewall or what it does. In my ignorance I thought it blocked access to a PC and only allowed access to what the PC user had configured it to allow. If it does this how do you develop it?

It's not like an AV program which must be currently updated because new nasties are being created daily and new detection processes must be enter in to the program to combat these. So if the firewall only gives access to what the user permits how do you update that. Sometimes the user's brain might need updating but thats a different kettle of fish.

Peter sits back awaiting comments about how my brain needs updating asap. ;D

Peter