Author Topic: Avast wont run in sys tray  (Read 16115 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast wont run in sys tray
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 08:08:17 PM »
Blocking access to your system is only part of the equation and this outpost 1.0 does well enough. The problem with this is there are many devious types out there to deceive you into clicking a link, etc. that you inadvertently download something malicious. This is not blocked by a firewall as it is a user initiated download and will pass right through your firewall as it should, otherwise legitimate downloads would also be blocked.

The real work nowadays is outbound protection, stopping what has entered your system from phoning home with your user names, passwords, etc. or downloading more of the same, which will also waltz straight through your firewall (initiated by something/one on your system).

It is possible for a program (malicious) to launch another legitimate program and have it do its bidding. Outpost pro has a hidden process check to cater for this and works very well for what are termed leak tests. However, I have recently raised a support request and a Agnitum forum thread about an exploit that can bypass even that check. So it is essential to keep a firewall up to date to counter these developments.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the free firewalls are likely to keep up as this development costs money.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 10:22:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I doubt that the free firewalls are likely to keep up as this development costs money.
The companies could use the policy of free for home and paid for commercial use. Thanks Alwil  :)
The best things in life are free.

peter1

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 01:01:28 AM »
The real work nowadays is outbound protection, stopping what has entered your system from phoning home with your user names, passwords, etc.

David I agree with you but I've got to allow it through my Outpost undeveloped firewall so it's my decision not the firewalls. Do you agree that I have the ultimate decision on what goes through my firewall. OK things might get in under a false name or in disguise but surely a competent PC user will immediately notice changes in their PCs behavior and rectify it.

As for the idea that corporate business users should pay for the freeloading home users it doesn't deserve my expletive comment even though I'm a freeloading home user. There's more to it than that or can you explain after years of advert support the free Opera browser it has now become an ad free browser anyone can download for zilch.

David look back at my comment about the free Opera browser then explain your doubts. ::)

Peter

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 01:54:02 AM »
The real work nowadays is outbound protection, stopping what has entered your system from phoning home with your user names, passwords, etc.

David I agree with you but I've got to allow it through my Outpost undeveloped firewall so it's my decision not the firewalls. Do you agree that I have the ultimate decision on what goes through my firewall. OK things might get in under a false name or in disguise but surely a competent PC user will immediately notice changes in their PCs behavior and rectify it.
No I don't agree that ultimately you have the choice of what goes through your firewall. That is the whole point programs can exploit the firewall and you will never now it is making an outbound connection, re read what I said.
Spyware and malware may well not want you to know and go to lengths to either hide or keep a low profile so you don't see an appreciable change in your PCs behaviour, not to mention the competency of the user most are ignorant of the subtleties of malware.

As for the idea that corporate business users should pay for the freeloading home users it doesn't deserve my expletive comment even though I'm a freeloading home user. There's more to it than that or can you explain after years of advert support the free Opera browser it has now become an ad free browser anyone can download for zilch.
Effectively they had to, it had less than 1% share of the browser market and it wasn't going anywhere, that would obviously change when it became free without ads (I didn't swallow the altruistic drivel drivel they had on the web site when it went free). I have no idea how they could give up the ad stream revenue, obviously they found a way, why they didn't do this sooner is the question.

David look back at my comment about the free Opera browser then explain your doubts. ::)

I have and I can't understand how they could do it without the ad revenue supporting the free product otherwise they would have done it in the first place.

Most of the free firewalls don't have the full functionality or protection of the paid for version and that is why many but the pro version. Development costs money and if you only have a free product someone has to pay or you need a generous benefactor.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peter1

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 03:07:35 AM »
David

Just lets agree to differ :-*

You believe everybody's out for money and I believe there are benefactors, sitting on their millions wanting to help their less well of brethren in any way they can.

Of course I don't believe that but it's a possibility I mean look at Opera, the safest browser on-line :)

Why are you panicking about outward breeches of the firewall? I mean an alien dialer is hardly likely to sneak out as part of OE or IE so the user has to authorize it. Are you saying all users are fools? All right David I know I'm taking firewall protection to it's basic level but if it's configured correctly and it does what it says it does what's wrong with that. Is it wrong to put the onus of protection on the user especially if it's a freebie?

Peter

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
I certainly don't intent to waste any further time on it, your system, your choice, your risk.

peter1

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
The problem with this is there are many devious types out there to deceive you into clicking a link, etc. that you inadvertently download something malicious.

David

The way I see this as in the above case it's not a firewall error it's a user error. The firewall's still doing what it is meant to do that is following the user's instructions as to what to allow into or out of the users PC.

Surely if you have downloaded a premium number dialer by mistake it still has to get the user's permission to go through the firewall to access the net and the same goes for tracking cookies and Trojans so ultimately the user controls a firewall and if it allows only what the user wants through it then it is doing it's job. The development you are talking about isn't really about the firewall but about the accessories that cover users mistakes and rectify them. Is that right or is it completely nuts? ::)

Peter

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 06:25:37 PM »
Surely if you have downloaded a premium number dialer by mistake it still has to get the user's permission to go through the firewall to access the net
Re read what I have said previously about bypassing the firewall.

This is my last comment in this matter I don't intend to waste any more time trying to convince you., either you see it or you don't.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:27:34 PM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 06:35:52 PM »
The development you are talking about isn't really about the firewall but about the accessories that cover users mistakes and rectify them. Is that right or is it completely nuts? ::)
Development is absolutely necessary: new ways of bypassing the firewall require new ways of prevention.
The user action could or could not be required. For instance, at startup and shutdown permanent connected machines, code injection, etc. etc.

colt-pixy

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 05:10:32 PM »
Hi. I have been using Avast for months with no problems. About 15 minutes ago it disappeared from my system tray and I registered here to ask about it.....found this thread.
I use XP home edition. Have been using Zone Alarm for a while too with no conflicts.
Going to try Tech's advice above and see if I can get it back in the tray.

colt-pixy

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »
I tried the repair and that did not work. Avast still is not in the system tray. I checked Avast/Settings/Appearance and the boxes are checked for it to be in the tray.
I do not understand why it would disappear after being there for several months.  Do I really have to uninstall/reinstall?

peter1

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi

Have you checked to see if Avast is running?

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 06:22:15 PM »
I do not understand why it would disappear after being there for several months.
Because other programs could remove the ashDisp.exe entry from the Registry Startup items.
Maybe you running Spysweeper, maybe WinPatrol... and they've blocked the avast! entry there.

Do I really have to uninstall/reinstall?
A repair (disabling other programs that monitor your system) should be enough.

colt-pixy

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 07:22:24 PM »
Avast was still running even though it was not in the system tray. I don't know what caused the problem but it was not Avast or Zone Alarm. I restored my computer to an earlier date and the icon returned. I did the restore because I noticed other programs (camera software) were not working properly either.
I ran a virus scan and AdAware and nothing came up. Wish I knew how to properly use Hijack This. I do not know much about computers so I try to learn something new every day about it. I try to be careful and in the 6 years I have been online I have never had a trojan or virus problem.
Everything seems to be running fine now. Going to go see if I can figure out what happened. Thank you for taking the time to try to help me. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
I ran a virus scan and AdAware and nothing came up.
Are you using Ad-Watch (a part of Ad-Aware) continuosly?