Author Topic: Avast wont run in sys tray  (Read 16116 times)

peter1

Re: Avast wont run in sys tray
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 01:08:11 AM »
Are you using Ad-Watch (a part of Ad-Aware) continuosly?

Tech

It's only part of Ad-Aware Pro. So why do you think Ad-Aware Pro was the Ad-Aware being used. For God's sake man/woman if you've spent multiple £s buying your PC it's natural to use the freebie. It's been nearly 3 years since I upgraded, more money, but until someone can point out a paid for version of a program does a better job than the free one I'll stick with the free one. As far as the afore mentioned ad watch goes anyone who cares about security doesn't use IE as their default browser but that's another story. ;D Most other browsers have their own pop-up blocker so the situation doesn't arise.

Peter

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 01:23:25 AM »
It's only part of Ad-Aware Pro. So why do you think Ad-Aware Pro was the Ad-Aware being used. For God's sake man/woman if you've spent multiple £s buying your PC it's natural to use the freebie.

Not wanting to put words into Tech's mouth but he doesn't know because 'colt-pixy' didn't mention what version of adaware they had, so he is just covering the bases.
I believe the only reason he mentioned it because elements like ad-Watch and Tea-Timer can and have interfered with ashDisp.exe in the past.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peter1

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2005, 01:36:46 AM »
Hi David

We met again after our contretemps over firewalls.  ???

Anyway Tech is probably right covering the Ad-Aware Pro option since it matters in this case but you never commented on my supposition that IE users are daredevils/lacking in grey matter. You don't use it as your browser, do you? ::)

Peter

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2005, 01:45:36 AM »
I didn't mention it because it has no relevance to the problem of avast not running in sys tray, but no I don't use it because it is a magnet for adware and spyware. However, if you take the right precautions you can secure IE to a reasonable degree, especially if you are using DropMyRights to limit the rights of the browser.

This will stop many malware infections dead (not able to create registry entries of put files in the system folders, etc.) and severely limit the potential damage. So it is quite possible to use IE without being a dare devil or lacking in grey matter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2005, 01:49:30 AM »
I believe the only reason he mentioned it because elements like ad-Watch and Tea-Timer can and have interfered with ashDisp.exe in the past.
Yes. David read my mind. But, sorry, I forgot it is only present into the Pro version.
But, anyway, any other freeware that monitors startup? Process Guard (free version), TeaTimer, WinPatrol?
Other possibility: registry cleaners. Do you use any?
The best things in life are free.

peter1

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2005, 02:17:51 AM »
However, if you take the right precautions you can secure IE to a reasonable degree, especially if you are using DropMyRights to limit the rights of the browser.

David

There we go again, starting out from different corners. Why go out of your way doing extra work to make your browser secure when you can download for zilch Opera or Firefox which up to now do not have the IE liabilities that 90% of the M$ upgrades try to correct. I could be wrong but I think you use IE as your default browser and if you do could you tell me why? ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2005, 03:01:49 PM »
As usual you are wrong, IE isn't my default browser, all you need do is look at my signature to find that out (no mention of IE).

Also note, I take the same precaution with any browser, email client, etc. and always run it using dropmyrights.

And NO here we don't go again, as talking to you really is a waste of time as you appear to be some kind of wind up merchant always taking an opposite view.

colt-pixy

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2005, 06:05:47 PM »
I never figured out what caused it to disappear. I have not picked up any adware/malware, no viruses, no trojans. I do not use IE I use FireFox 1.0.7
I was not anywhere new on the web at the time.
My mouse died the night before and caused weirdness when it did. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

MrBabis

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2005, 06:43:51 PM »
You can look in settings show/hide icon in tray.

colt-pixy

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2005, 09:24:53 PM »
You can look in settings show/hide icon in tray.
I did that was checked like it was supposed to be. The icon returned to the tray after I restored my computer to last week.