Author Topic: Outlook cannot establish connection with SMTP server  (Read 5388 times)

REDACTED

Outlook cannot establish connection with SMTP server
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:09 AM »
Avast version
2015-10-2-2214   date of  publication 02/03 /2015
Also :
2015-10-2-2214   date of publication 02/03 /2015

Hardware
Modem Orange, ADSL input, ethernet output connected with a cable to a PC equipped with Outlook 2003

Outlook mail servers
Input mail server (POP3) : pop.orange.fr  / 110, no SSL
Output mail server (SMTP) : smtp.orange.fr / 25, no SSL

Problem description :
Since the installation of AVAST 2015-10-2-2214, Outlook fails to send messages :

Error message :
La tâche «pop.orange.fr - Envoi» a signalé une erreur (0x800CCC0F) : «La connexion au serveur a été interrompue. Si ce problème persiste, contactez l'administrateur du serveur ou le fournisseur de services Internet (ISP).  Réponse du serveur : 421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 80.12.242.10:465, SSL_connect error 5:10054»

Question :
It seems that Outlook tries to establish a SSL connection with SMTP server, although there is not SSL configuration

I have checked that the problem is still there with Avast version 2015-10- 2- 2215 published on 23/03 /2015

Previous occurrence :
I have seen a similar problem mentioned  in the Avast forum - 2011
•   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=88207.0
This is why I wonder if it is not the same problem.
But the described solution do not apply on my computer: user interface seem different.

Can you help ?
Thank you in advance
François

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Outlook cannot establish connection with SMTP server
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »
You could first try a repair of Avast in Control Panel > Programs and Features > double/click Avast and try "Repair".  Be sure and reboot after.

If this doesn't work then a "clean install" would be the next thing to try.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:09:38 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:22:37 AM »
If the repair doesn't work here are two methods for a "clean install" posted previously on the board by these respective posters:

If the repair doesn't work, the clean install is the only option.

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.

or

If you have CCleaner you could alternatively try, LINK: Topic issue that a clean install resolved

Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
(Avast in Control Panel > Programs and Features > double/click Avast and try "Repair"). Thank you for your message
Sorry for this candid question

I do not know how to locate the "Control panel"  that you mention.
 is it a part of Windows ?  or of Avast window ?

Please note that my OS is Windows 7  French

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 03:53:08 AM »
Hello Lakrsrool
Solution n°1 (" repair")  did not work
but
Solution n°2 ( "clean de-install + re-install  version 2015.10.2.2215) solved the issue !!
Your procedure was quite clear.
Thank you a lot
François