Author Topic: Updated to latest version of Avast!, AvastEmergencyUpdate no longer works.  (Read 8284 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
yah i notice the normal AvastEmergencyUpdate task that has been in Task Scheduler forever is no longer there is with up.

Note not talking about it not show up in taskmanager talking about there is no entry for it in task scheduler anymore

Apparently it used to be in the regular list of "Scheduled Tasks" (as it is in my 2014 version) of which you recall as well in your past Avast version(s), but as you're pointing out it "is no longer there" and it would now appear that for Avast2015 it is apparently in the "Task Library" so says Braver on the previous page 1.  So check that out according to Braver as I am not using Avast2015.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

The scheduled task AvastEmUpdate in my Task Library just activated moments ago and created a task in the main Task Manager. Seems the new version is designed to create one automatically and starting the .exe prematurely doesn't work anymore.

Just wanna put it out there. For those who may want to know how the new process works.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:21:34 AM by Braver »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
The scheduled task AvastEmUpdate in my Task Library just activated moments ago and created a task in the main Task Manager. Seems the new version is designed to create one automatically and starting the .exe prematurely doesn't work anymore.

Just wanna put it out there. For those who may want to know how the new process works.

OK, that's interesting and I guess we don't really know what Avast just did (what update if any).  I'm assuming that older versions do not get updated as the version remains static once Avast moves on to the next major version (as my version remains 2014.0.9.2021 for example).

So, is Avast updating the Virus Definitions?

So of course this changes all the time but as of this time I have the following (see attached), so is your Virus definitions different (could be by the time you look).  One point however, it would seem that my Virus definitions are pretty darn current as the date of 3/25/15 11:42:39 (most recent 2nd attachment) which is pretty close the exact same time I started this post.  And as I've posted before I have the AvastEmUpdate.exe disable in the Task Scheduler.  Sure would be nice to know what exactly Avast is doing regarding these "emergency updates".

Addendum: the posting date/time never matches my current local time btw.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:55:13 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

OK, that's interesting and I guess we don't really know what Avast just did (what update if any).  I'm assuming that older versions do not get updated as the version remains static once Avast moves on to the next major version (as my version remains 2014.0.9.2021 for example).

So, is Avast updating the Virus Definitions?

So of course this changes all the time but as of this time I have the following (see attached), so is your Virus definitions different (could be by the time you look).  One point however, it would seem that my Virus definitions are pretty darn current as the date of 3/25/15 11:42:39 (most recent 2nd attachment) which is pretty close the exact same time I started this post.  And as I've posted before I have the AvastEmUpdate.exe disable in the Task Scheduler.  Sure would be nice to know what exactly Avast is doing regarding these "emergency updates".

Addendum: the posting date/time never matches my current local time btw.

The Emergency Update is basically just a backup I think for the virus/program updates or definitions. If it were to fail, I think the Emergency Update would download it instead, or something like that.

I also think that it allows Avast! to download updates immediately that Avast! staff may deem to be "critical"... it's just that yeah, in previous versions of Avast! (2015.10.0.2208 and versions in 2014) automatically create a task for the AvastEmUpdate but it seems in this version that the process isn't automatically created but you have to wait until the first task process in the library to activate before it self-creates itself.

Also... your and my virus definition update times will be the same, as the definitions/streams are generally released at the same time for everyone. But in general, it would also depend on when you get Avast! to search for updates... I personally have it look for them every 120 minutes.

That's my take on it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:07:21 AM by Braver »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
I could be wrong here, but Avast had upgraded my Avast program last year from and older version I had at the time even though I've always had Avast Program Updates set to "manual" as I prefer to be the one to decide when I might be interested in upgrading to the next version as I like to check it out before hand.  The explanations I got on this board was that perhaps Avast was no longer able to support my version at that time hence the "forced" upgrade of the Avast Program.  That may be, but I still contend that Avast should notify the user if this is the situation instead of taking the prerogative upon themselves to push the update of the Avast program in opposition to the setting I had for updates.

It has occurred to me that perhaps this "emergency update" is what Avast used as the method to to push the upgrade of my program version in conflict with my update setting of "manual" only for Program Updates.

So based on my suspicions in this regard I have "disabled" the module in the "Task Scheduler".  I'm at a bit of a quandary as to whether this is a good idea or not, but I certainly do not want Avast updating my Program version of Avast on my personal property without my permission.  My quandary on this revolves around the concern I have if in fact Virus Definition updates might be compromised as a result of setting the emergency update module to "disable" in the "Task Scheduler", which is why I'd like to know more about what it's used for and what risk there may possibly be by disabling it.  As I said before it would seem to me that Virus Definitions get regularly updated all the time so I can't see why the "emergency updater" would need to be used for this. I understand the idea of problems occurring with updates that would require the "emergency updater" to be used, but I would still think this would mos likely really only apply to Program Updates as opposed to Virus Definition updates and if this is the case then I don't have to be concerned.

REDACTED

I could be wrong here, but Avast had upgraded my Avast program last year from and older version I had at the time even though I've always had Avast Program Updates set to "manual" as I prefer to be the one to decide when I might be interested in upgrading to the next version as I like to check it out before hand.  The explanations I got on this board was that perhaps Avast was no longer able to support my version at that time hence the "forced" upgrade of the Avast Program.  That may be, but I still contend that Avast should notify the user if this is the situation instead of taking the prerogative upon themselves to push the update of the Avast program in opposition to the setting I had for updates.

It has occurred to me that perhaps this "emergency update" is what Avast used as the method to to push the upgrade of my program version in conflict with my update setting of "manual" only for Program Updates.

So based on my suspicions in this regard I have "disabled" the module in the "Task Scheduler".  I'm at a bit of a quandary as to whether this is a good idea or not, but I certainly do not want Avast updating my Program version of Avast on my personal property without my permission.  My quandary on this revolves around the concern I have if in fact Virus Definition updates might be compromised as a result of setting the emergency update module to "disable" in the "Task Scheduler", which is why I'd like to know more about what it's used for and what risk there may possibly be by disabling it.  As I said before it would seem to me that Virus Definitions get regularly updated all the time so I can't see why the "emergency updater" would need to be used for this. I understand the idea of problems occurring with updates that would require the "emergency updater" to be used, but I would still think this would mos likely really only apply to Program Updates as opposed to Virus Definition updates and if this is the case then I don't have to be concerned.

It's up to you as to whether you think it's necessary or not. I can tell you for a certainty though that the AvastEmUpdate has NEVER updated my program... from experience. I think it's just used for definitions or important "hidden" updates. I think that sometimes, avast! staff release updates that aren't seen by the user such as program stability stuff and whatnot. I could be completely wrong here.

I, myself... would not really disable it... as I feel it's something that would keep my program and security stable. I mean, as long as your virus definitions update never fails or such, then I guess you'd be fine... but I guess the process is there, just in case the worst happens. :)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Well, it works as this one is waiting untill I reboot :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Well, it works as this one is waiting untill I reboot :)

Greetz, Red.

Same here and I just rebooted.