Author Topic: Strange Behavior of Right Click Context Menu Scans  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
Strange Behavior of Right Click Context Menu Scans
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
Occasionally, I use the right click context menu option on an individual file and select "Scan **** file" to manually scan single files or folders. Since updating to Avast  4.6.731 I haven't used this option until now.

I find this "manual quick scan" method works fine when logged in as an Administrator account user, however when logged in on any of my "Limited User" accounts, the "Right Click Option" results in the Avast Quick Scanner popup (as normal), BUT it is instantly followed by this unusual MS Office Outlook popup stating "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run MS Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client."
This occurs after attempting to "right click scan" any type of file (pdf, jpg, txt, html,,, etc).
The scan engine is stalled until I click "OK" on the Outlook popup. After that, then it appears to scan the file or folder.

BTW,, my default email program is Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7,, and I have never used Outlook at all.

I included an attachment showing the screenshot of this unusual popup.

Any help/guidance please,, thanks.
Acco
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Delta

Re: Strange Behavior of Right Click Context Menu Scans
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:11:14 PM »
Hi,

welcome to the forum :)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17433.0 (Ignore the troll at the end)
A few of us have found this already, it is annoying but the scan seems to finish correctly. I hope it is fixed soon :)

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »
Thanks Delta!
 :-[ Duh,, it looks like I posted without looking for similar posts first.
Not entirely tho,, as I looked a few days ago, finding nothing, so spent the last few days double-checking program settings, defaults, registry errors, and lastly a complete re-install of Avast.
Didn't realize 2 similar posts just came in recently. My bad,,,
Hope someonesolves it...

Thanks,
Acco

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:53:06 AM »
Spent the last few days double-checking program settings, defaults, registry errors, and lastly a complete re-install of Avast.
Didn't realize 2 similar posts just came in recently.
Acco, always believe in forums  8)
By the way, this problem is not solved yet  :'(

At least, it continues here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17433.0

Any comment Vojtech?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 10:13:09 AM »
Whoever is experiencing the problem - please, open regedit and check the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
- what is the default value of this key? (i.e. when you select it, what is the top line in the right panel?)

Additionally, if this value is XXXXXXX, please check the value called DllPath in the subkey
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\XXXXXXX
What does it contain?

Thanks.

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 04:50:35 PM »
Hello Igor,
Thanks for quickly looking into this problem.
Here's a screenshot of my registry data.

As you can see, the popup text shows under the value "PreFirstRun".
Also, the dll path for the subkey "Mozilla Thunderbird" shows the following:
DLLPath..............C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\mozMapi32.dll

Thanks,
Acco

**** Late Edit***: For this problem, please allow this thead to die, and refer future posts/replies to user jd500c 's thread, listed below. I copied my posting info over to jd500c's thread. Both threads involve the same problem.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17433.0

Thanks,
Acco
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 11:51:10 PM by Acco »