Author Topic: Folders snatched and imprisoned in the chest - how do I get them out?  (Read 2467 times)

REDACTED

That about says it all.  I plugged a USB drive into my laptop, one I've plugged in there many times before and when I went to open a folder, it announced that it had detected a threat in the file and was therefore putting the whole thing in the chest.  When I tried to declare this a "false positive" it asked me what the file was and who had published it.  As it hadn't told me what specific file was causing the trouble, I had no idea, and I'd lost the whole folder.  This happened again to a second folder I tried to open, and they've now disappeared off of my USB drive.  How do I get them back?

Many thanks,

Adam K

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Folders snatched and imprisoned in the chest - how do I get them out?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »
Before trying to get them back, it is better to check for malware first:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
Download MCShield to your desktop and install
It will initially run a scan and show the result as a toaster by the system clock
Then in the control centre select scanner and tick unhide items on flash drives

Plug in the drive and McShield will start a scan

Then get the log which will be located under the logs tab on the main page

And post that

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for this.  I downloaded and ran Malware without the USB drive in (assuming my folders were somewhere in the Avast chest on the laptop) and it came up blank, with nothing detected.

I then stuck the drive in, I'm afraid hadn't started MCShield up first - it started scanning immediately, told me the drive was infected and scanned away.  At the end it put up a log which said "traces of file replicators have been found!" and then worked its magic.  I was worried it was locking all of these away, as a lot of the are irreplaceable (my USB drive is my backup) but once it was done, everything was okay and I could access it.

Except I still don't know where the two missing folders are.  Again, how can I access them? 

MCShield insists it's still running, so I'll assume it's swept everything, but...i want my folders back!

What do I do next?

Many thanks,

Adam K

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
What do I do next?
post MCShield log as instructed.....

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »
Hi, sorry, I didn't get notified of your reply.  But, to be honest, I'm not sure what you meant by "Post MCShield".

Anyway, Avast told me to do a complete re-boot which it checked along the way.  It came up with two infected files - interestingly, only one of them was the one in the chest.  then my SuperAntiSpyware software updated and ran a scan and after that it rebooted again and after that...it was all fine.

So, thank you for your help and patience.  I will certainly be using MCShield and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware regularly from now on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »
When you run McShield, it creates a log - open the McShield Interface and look in the Logs tab.

That is the log they want you to post/attach.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security