Author Topic: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!  (Read 67423 times)

mediterranean

ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!
« on: October 12, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
I noticed in the Task Manager that the system process ashServ.exe uses a substantial amount of CPU (50%) and runs for a loooooooong time in my Windows SP2 P4 2.8 system.

What gives?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:16:35 PM »
Have no clue, but I've noticed exactly the same thing last two days... booting into Windows after logging on lasts forever comparing to what it looked like before.

Alwil, what is happening ?

Note: Haven't installed any new program since two weeks ago...

Firewall: Kerio 4.2.0
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:06:51 PM »
No problems at all here.

mediterranean,

check if avast is scanning something and tell us what provider is causing this.

MrBabis

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:12:48 PM »
Did you chose to scan all files?
It makes slower on scan of zipped files.
And if you have too much downloads at the same time through web or some kind of P2P.

If so, you can exclude that folder where downloads is, and scan it after download completed.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 08:18:17 PM »
It's not during the downloads, and it's not related to any avast! provider. I am long enough in here to overlook it just like that.

I don't have any problems with avast! whatsoever, but the problem is I've noticed ashServ.exe is using CPU a lot during the Windows startup. Once it finishes, everything is fine.

No P2P started nor running at all... And not all files are chosen to be scanned. My avast! is properly tweaked and configured to fit my needs, and I never ever had those startup problems before.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MrBabis

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:54:38 PM »
May be it is good to do defrag of disk?

This will speed up disk reading and minimizing time for avast to scan files on start.

darth.mikey

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 10:11:54 PM »

That's always a good idea and you might try BootVis also to decrease those boot times(if you don't already have it ofcourse)  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:36:13 PM »

This will speed up disk reading and minimizing time for avast to scan files on start.

Mr.Babis, I am computer technician by profession and I do fix computers for living. Defragmenting of disks is so crucial, that there is no chance to forget to do it...

I repeat, once avast! is uninstalled, everything goes back to normal...

EDIT: Absolutely nothing is wrong with booting untill ashServ.exe kicks in...  ;) So, right now starting of Windows after logging in, takes around one minute... and it was always just few seconds...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:38:08 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

darth.mikey

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 10:41:31 PM »
So, right now starting of Windows after logging in, takes around one minute... and it was always just few seconds...

Same here...  :'(

darth.mikey

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 12:05:22 AM »
I just want to add that i've been noticing a bigger system drag lately on my machine , with avast! enabled, my multiplayer gaming suffers sudden drops in framerates from time to time however with avast! completely disabled everything is fine.And everything worked OK before with avast! enabled, i haven't been changing anything on my machine so there's something weird going on  i'm positive cause the ashServ.exe is eating more CPU than it used to ... ??? Also like Sasha said the boot time is now around 1 minute and before it was under 45 seconds i'm sure.....

Cheers

Mikey

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 12:25:01 AM »
It's not during the downloads, and it's not related to any avast! provider. I am long enough in here to overlook it just like that.

I don't have any problems with avast! whatsoever, but the problem is I've noticed ashServ.exe is using CPU a lot during the Windows startup. Once it finishes, everything is fine.

My avast! is properly tweaked and configured to fit my needs, and I never ever had those startup problems before.

I experienced a similar problem in that my boot time increased and I identified the problem as my very nosey firewall sticking its nose into hundreds of files, something of the order of 450-500 file accesses. Now this also started suddenly and I can't remember if it was after an avast program update or a firewall update.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14062.0

The upshot is I disabled the firewall totally on boot and start it with a batch file after boot. This works fine for me as I'm on dial-up and not connected to the internet shortly after boot as with broadband users.

So you might want to disable programs one at a time to see if you can find one that reduces the avast ashServ.exe activity, it isn't scanning unless there is file activity, a program opening, reading files, etc. so find what program is doing this and decide if it needs to run on boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 12:38:55 AM »
I totally understand you David, but this is what I have inside my startup items... and they were always there... nothing more nothing less...

The only thing to check now it Kerio... both, Miha (darth.mikey) and I, are using Kerio, so it could be that... maybe... I'll check...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 01:42:05 AM »
Mikey just asked me to post this instead of him... it's quite late in Slovenia and he went to bed...

his startup items list:

And this is a quote from his PM to me where he asked me to do this as a proof:

And also here's my startup list you can post it in that thread cause i'm going to bed REALLY...... 
Oh and also tell DavidR that my avast standard shield scanned list is 200-230 in case he wants to know but that Kerio may be to blame i agree research it like you said....hehe    ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 02:06:14 AM »
I have to agree with the rest of the folks who've experience an increase in system resources and a severe slowdown in system
startup.
ashServ.exe  is one culprit and Microsoft AntiSpyware is the other program that's causing delays.
Avast's ability do do a good job at protecting my system and do it without degrading my system was my main reason for
selecting it in the first place. Hopefully, this efficiency can be restored.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 02:55:30 AM »
I have to agree with the rest of the folks who've experience an increase in system resources and a severe slowdown in system
Microsoft AntiSpyware is the other program that's causing delays
I give up on it... It's a resource hog all the time, detects the same as the others and worse, more false positives.
Which on-access (resident) anti spyware are you using?
The best things in life are free.