Author Topic: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!  (Read 67424 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 03:08:26 AM »
Absolutely nothing except SpywareBlaster which is best of the best IMHO. Never ever had any problems with it... such a wonderful product. Besides that I have Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy only. Nothing else... and system is clean and running great. Ad-Aware never finds anything, second opinion I get from Spybot and sometimes I visit TrenMicro's Housecall where I also run some spyware tests... nothing, nothing... SpwareBlaster does it's job perfectly... and as far as I know, it doesn't interfere with avast! in any way...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 03:14:33 AM »
Absolutely nothing except SpywareBlaster which is best of the best IMHO. Never ever had any problems with it... such a wonderful product. Besides that I have Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy only. Nothing else... and system is clean and running great. Ad-Aware never finds anything, second opinion I get from Spybot and sometimes I visit TrenMicro's Housecall where I also run some spyware tests... nothing, nothing... SpwareBlaster does it's job perfectly... and as far as I know, it doesn't interfere with avast! in any way...
It's not enough to me Sasha... very disapointing on blocking new spyware detections... even updating it almots just in time, spyware blaster is not as good as it seems it was.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 04:02:03 AM »
Anyway, after installing it (few months ago) nothing goes through... Ad-aware, Spybot, not Bazooka can find anything any more. It does it's job.

However, this is not a spyware/adware issue, we are talking about ashServ.exe and it's excesive CPU usage... As I mentioned before, once avast! is uninstalled, Windows starting time immediatelly goes back to normal. I tried it two times... always the same story.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

darth.mikey

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
I give up on it... It's a resource hog all the time, detects the same as the others and worse, more false positives.
Which on-access (resident) anti spyware are you using?

Tech you're so right about MS Anti Spyware it is a huge resource hog, i gave up on it months ago...  ::)
I'm only using Ad-Aware for my resident anti-spyware protection along with SpywareBlaster and Spybot(only the SDhelper without TeaTimer)....  ;)

Cheers

Mikey

darth.mikey

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 11:43:29 AM »
As I mentioned before, once avast! is uninstalled, Windows starting time immediatelly goes back to normal. I tried it two times... always the same story.

Same goes for me guys(i just tried it out a couple minutes ago)...  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 04:01:15 PM »
Lets get this straight ashServ.exe doesn't just increase its activity (cpu use %) it has to be scanning something, what you have to find is the program that is causing the file access activity that causes avast to scan the file.

The CCleaner, MS Startup list shown are not the only programs that start on boot I use Code Stuff Starter and that shows more (insluding the ones that I have disabled), but even so the Task Manager will show what is starting in the way of services.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
However, this is not a spyware/adware issue, we are talking about ashServ.exe and it's excessive CPU usage...

As I mentioned before, once avast! is uninstalled, Windows starting time immediately goes back to normal. I tried it two times... always the same story.
ashServ.exe doesn't initiate activity it responds to activity, so can't have excessive cpu activity.

Absolutely true if you uninstall avast nothing will be scanned, that doesn't mean that ashServ.exe is the culprit. You have to find the program that has excessive file accesses during boot, disable or uninstall that and you will see a reduction in cpu activity because ashServ.exe doesn't have to scan the file accesses for that program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 04:11:19 PM »
Those things are easily checked if you simple use msconfig... see yourself that there is nothing unusual... and best of all, absolutely nothing that wasn't before in there. As I sadid before, I haven't installed any new application since 2 weeks ago...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »
However, this is not a spyware/adware issue, we are talking about ashServ.exe and it's excessive CPU usage...

As I mentioned before, once avast! is uninstalled, Windows starting time immediately goes back to normal. I tried it two times... always the same story.
ashServ.exe doesn't initiate activity it responds to activity, so can't have excessive cpu activity.

Absolutely true if you uninstall avast nothing will be scanned, that doesn't mean that ashServ.exe is the culprit. You have to find the program that has excessive file accesses during boot, disable or uninstall that and you will see a reduction in cpu activity because ashServ.exe doesn't have to scan the file accesses for that program.

I uninstalled Kerio yesterda, relied on Windows SP2 Firewall and mu router... nothing has changed. PopPeeper is mail notification program unbelievable small and not causing these things. IU'm using it more than one year without any problems. Those things are the only things started... other stuff that can be seen in msconfig are the stuff that was always there... Indexing services are disabled forever in my system btw...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 04:14:41 PM »

David
Certain programs and services are load at boot time because they are required. Others are loaded for convenience.
If the same program is loaded each time, then there are faster ways to compare it to what was loaded the last time than scanning the file.
It should not be necessary to rescan the files each time. It's the constant rescanning that's taking so long.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:39 PM »
Exactly my point... once ashServ.exe is done, which is around just few seconds, it goes back to 75% of CPU usage at one point... and it does that during the whole minute... I repeat when I start task manager there is nothing unusual loaded, nothing that wasn't before in there...

EDIT: Btw, LifeView HID Service is my TV/SVHS capture card and I have it more than one year now. I also tried to uninstall it completely just for the fun of it... not just uninstall drivers, but physically remove the PCI card from the slot... same thing...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 04:25:24 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 04:51:14 PM »
We have not had any program changes to avast recently that would have changed how ashServ.exe works so it can't of its own volition start scanning files for no reason. So what else has changed to cause the increased activity?

I was probably one of the first to bring this up and as a result of extensive testing totally disabled my firewall on boot as it made 450-500 file accesses, now they weren't all to the same files, yes log and ini files will have multiple accesses, but that doesn't make up the entire file access load.

Yes I think that Alwil should improve the boot up scan and as far as I'm aware it shouldn't  scan multiple accesses to the same file as is the case in standard shield. However, because this is so early in the boot it may not be able to store and access the information in the avast files I just don't know and it was something that I don't feel was very well answered by the Alwil Team I the thread I created.

Perhaps there should be different levels of scanning at boot that could be included in the settings, low (just those files that are loaded, normal (Loaded and important system files) and paranoid (???) which would increase the number of files scanned.
There are files in my Program Files folders (I have two) that are scanned on boot that aren't used from one week to the next, so only files that are actually opened to run or for modification should be scanned by default.

darth.mikey

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2005, 04:58:01 PM »
I have to say i have much more "clean" startup than you DavidR(and BTW i don't even use Msconfig i have other program for that  ;D...) and it has been like that for ages no changes no new programs that add to startup, the only thing that i think of at the moment that has changed is the MS updates that were added recently..... Sasha my services look very similar i may have 1 or 2 more (i'll post a screenshot later right now i have to EAT haha) And did i mention my C: partition is defraged as hell(i use PerfectDisk for that).I'm sorry but it really looks like there's something going on with avast!  :'(

cheers  friends

Mikey

darth.mikey

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 05:15:47 PM »
Perhaps there should be different levels of scanning at boot that could be included in the settings, low (just those files that are loaded, normal (Loaded and important system files) and paranoid (???) which would increase the number of files scanned.
There are files in my Program Files folders (I have two) that are scanned on boot that aren't used from one week to the next, so only files that are actually opened to run or for modification should be scanned by default.

Yes that's a pretty good idea David  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 05:26:22 PM »
I have to say i have much more "clean" startup than you DavidR(and BTW i don't even use Msconfig i have other program for that  ;D...) and it has been like that for ages no changes no new programs that add to startup, the only thing that i think of at the moment that has changed is the MS updates that were added recently.....
But I'm not noticing the same effect considering that your start up is cleaner than mine  ;D not to mention I don't have a super fast system.

I don't use msconfig either, just used it as an example that msconfig (for those that use it) doesn't show everything my default is CodeStuff Starter.