Author Topic: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!  (Read 67427 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: ashServ.exe uses 50% CPU!
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »
But, are you sure it's the P2P provider which is checking that file, I mean, couldn't it be the Internet Mail Provider?
If you exclude utorrent.exe process of Mail provider scanning, will it help? (see details clicking 'Settings' in my signature and browsing for section [MailScanner] in the avast4.ini file).
Is utorrent using port 25 ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Wilson

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
I can tell it's the P2P provider because I kept an eye on the "Last Scanned" line in the P2P Shield tab and it showed a file belonging to a torrent I was downloading (a large ISO) at the exact point the spikes occured, and it's the only one that had this activity to match it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »
Is utorrent using port 25 ???
Most probably not... it was just a guess... using TCPView from www.sysinternals.com the user could check this.

I can tell it's the P2P provider because I kept an eye on the "Last Scanned" line in the P2P Shield tab and it showed a file belonging to a torrent I was downloading (a large ISO) at the exact point the spikes occured, and it's the only one that had this activity to match it.
I think you can exclude *.ISO files from being scanned by P2P provider (on-access exclusions) but unfortunatelly, utorrent does not allow to scan downloaded files after the download is finished  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
Tech & bob3160,

a while ago avast added utorrent.exe to the list of processes automatically excluded in the Internet Mail scanner (just confirmed it is still there).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2006, 11:49:49 PM »
Tech & bob3160, a while ago avast added utorrent.exe to the list of processes automatically excluded in the Internet Mail scanner (just confirmed it is still there).
You're right... in my case, new knowledge is replacing the old ones... I'm becoming old  :'(
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2006, 01:44:53 AM »
tech-hi-very nice faq,links,settings,cleaning and control information on the bottom in your profile section

looked at it today and very helpful on some of the information i was wondering about and some tests that were helpful-thank you(i know it took a-lot of time to put together)

sorry this post had nothing to do with this topic but i had to mention what was on the bottom of your profile section so people would know and might be of help to someone.

and thank you for the comment on your above post about being old,i'm already past the half century mark :o ::) :-[
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:12:35 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
This is still occurring for us even after eliminating those shields.  I had it occur to someone while he was scrolling some code in in VS.NET 2005...and, it's just started happening to me as I type this forum post.  I feel like I'm typing this on a 286...massive HD activity and aswServ.exe using 99% CPU + 90MB+ RAM.

The managed clients are controlled by ADNM... didn't the administrator run a scan of the system at this moment? Or, isn't there a scheduled scan set to be run every... don't know, day, week, ...?

AMG

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »
This is still occurring for us even after eliminating those shields.  I had it occur to someone while he was scrolling some code in in VS.NET 2005...and, it's just started happening to me as I type this forum post.  I feel like I'm typing this on a 286...massive HD activity and aswServ.exe using 99% CPU + 90MB+ RAM.

The managed clients are controlled by ADNM... didn't the administrator run a scan of the system at this moment? Or, isn't there a scheduled scan set to be run every... don't know, day, week, ...?

Yes, the managed clients do receive their configuration via the ADNM.  There seems to be a language translation issue here...but, I am assuming you are asking...

1 - Was a system scan initiated via the ADNM console when the CPU spike occurs?

2 - If a system scan wasn't manually initiated by the ADNM console when the CPU spike occurs, then was this caused by a scheduled scan?

The answer to both questions would be "no".

To reply to another poster in this forum...I do appreciate the help from everyone and of course no disrespect was intended. A couple points of feedback to share...

1 - I'm having a technical issue not with a free product but one that I paid for.  It's the antivirus software used by an entire company.  It's having a technical problem that makes computers unusable for 3-15 seconds while an Avast component takes control of the system.  That's simply not something that I can continue with.  I have e-mailed Alwil technical support, however, as yet I have not received a reply.

2 - Product unfamiliarity, lack of a formal moderator to move/direct my post to an appropriate thread, and a very obvious language barrier are all reasons I commented that this may not be the correct place for me to receive help.

This is the only place I know to go for help (until Alwil steps in).  Again, these issues are not something I'm blaming on you (or any else trying to help).  I really do appreciate everyone that has tried to help, and, even everyone who has even taken the time to read about my probem.  This is a great community with many dedicated and talented people.

AMG

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »
My latest attempt at resolving this issue myself may have some positive results...

...I've added an exclusion for "hiberfil.sys" to the standard scanner.  Many of our systems are configured to use hibernation, and, the hiberfil.sys is a very large file.  So far my own system is not having any problem with most providers re-enabled and that exclusion set.  My fingers are crossed... :D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »
If aswServ.exe is using that much CPU, it must be scanning something. Either a scheduled task is running, or the resident protection is processing something. In the later case, open the "On-Access Scanner" window (normally it's accessed by left-clicking the avast! tray icon, but it can be disabled for the managed clients), select the particular resident providers in the detailed view and watch the "Last scanned" field.
Or, you may want to use heavy weapons like File Monitor - but it's necessary to find out what is being scanned.

And yes, these posts should be in the ADNM forum, but it's a little too late to attempt to split them.

AMG

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
I've pushed the "hiberfil.sys" change out to all workstations, and, I'll gather that information from client systems if this is reported again.

Again, not intending anything but constructive criticism...but, can you folks make it a little more apparent that managed client questions belong in the ADNM forum?  The ADNM is a separate component from the managed client (at least in my eyes), and, I could find no other threads regarding the managed client in there within recent history.

Finally, is there a way for me to lower the aswServ.exe process priority?  This is one thing I would really like to do...I don't want any processes running above normal on these systems...

AMG

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2006, 06:29:34 PM »
OK, I watched the Avast event viewer and have narrowed down another cause of this to be the updating of the virus definitions.  I'll put a separate post in to inquire if there is a way to only allow definition updates outside of certain hours (e.g. outside of business hours).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2006, 07:05:10 PM »
Finally, is there a way for me to lower the aswServ.exe process priority?  This is one thing I would really like to do...I don't want any processes running above normal on these systems...

I don't think so.

How long do these "spikes" take? The original post referred to long-term CPU consuption.
If it's just a few seconds, then yes, it might be VPS update.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:08:48 PM by igor »

AMG

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »
The spikes depend on system configuration...our fastest systems typically clear out after 5-10 seconds...but slower systems can be help hostage for over a minute.  I believe it may have been a combo of the hibernation file and the updating.  The following thread (thanks Vik!) may have put me on the right track...and may help anyone else experiencing the freeze-ups caused by clients being configured to auto-update:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21779.0

F_Sake

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2006, 02:52:39 AM »
Hi first post but this thread just solved my problem so I thought I would reply with my 2 pence.

I was getting bad CPU spikes (approx 10 second spike every 60 seconds I think). I had got to the point where I knew it was Avast that was causing it. Turns out its definatly the P2P scanner for me. every minute or there about the P2P scanner is scanning the ISO that I am downloading via Utorrent. This throws the CPU to 100% and renders my PC completly unuseable for those 10 seconds.

I know this has been mentioned before but I thought I would put my situation in as well to show that this is affecting more and more people.