Author Topic: IE Won't Connect To HTTPS Sites After Avast Install  (Read 2018 times)

REDACTED

IE Won't Connect To HTTPS Sites After Avast Install
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
Just as the title says, IE will not connect to any https sites, including Microsoft. I have re-registered a whole bunch of dlls and still nothing. I have put Avast and Avast "exe" programs into the exceptions of my Windows Firewall and still nothing. I turned off Webshield and still nothing. I even put IE into the exceptions of the Windows Firewall and still nothingdprktt. Firefox still works, but I need IE on occasion for some websites. How do you fix this? If no fix, I am going to have to uninstall Avast and try some other antivirus.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: IE Won't Connect To HTTPS Sites After Avast Install
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
What OS/SP ?
What exact version of avast ?
What exact version of IE ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or did you)

There is no need to use IE for any website.
All websites should work with Opera, FF, Chrome and other well known browsers.
If it website doesn't, it is very poorly programmed and not trusted.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:59:09 AM »
I'm using XP home. Avast 8.0.1489. I have limited resources on my computer. Ram is only 512MB. No other security related software. My IE is just a backup browser version 6. The newer ones will not run on my computer as I have tried them. And I have encountered quite a few TRUSTED sites that do not play well with Firefox. The one thing I do know is that IE worked just fine before I installed Avast and now it doesn't.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »
You still haven't mentioned what service pack of XP you are running?

The version of avast you are using is also very outdated :o

I'd use the avastclear tool to completely remove the version you have then custom install the latest version https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=168376.0 un-ticking all the unnecessary items from the centre column.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:08:57 AM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:06:56 AM »
The last stable Avast 8 series was the 1497.376. It is hard to say what is going on there since you are not even running IE 8.

... The one thing I do know is that IE worked just fine before I installed Avast and now it doesn't...

So what was your AV before Avast ? Did you run its respective removal utility before installing Avast ?