Author Topic: Mobile Internet Does Not Reconnect  (Read 8188 times)

Offline buckley.andy

Mobile Internet Does Not Reconnect
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
I've started to use the avast battery saver. When it sleeps and turns off my mobile data it then doesn't switch the mobile data back on when wake the phone to use it. I'm assuming this should be how it works so can anyone tell me what might be going on here?

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Mobile Internet Does Not Reconnect
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
Hi Andy,

this seems like a bug. If you have the "Internet" option in the active Profile set to "Optimized ON", and the "Internet optimization period" option in Advanced settings set to "X minutes", the internet should be turned back on once you turn the screen on.

Could you tell me what device, carrier and OS version do you have?

Thanks

Ondra

Offline buckley.andy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »
HTC One on Virgin Mobile (Canada). OS is 4.1.1

Thanks.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
Is it HTC One M7? There's a lot of "Ones" :) Also could you please check that there's no "confirm dialog" or something of that sort when we try to turn the mobile data on? Some carriers like to put things like that in their phones. You can also check if some other apps (widgets maybe) are able to turn mobile data on, because it might happen that the dialog won't appear in our case, because we do it pretty quickly after the screen gets back on, while the device is still locked.

Thanks

Ondra

Offline buckley.andy

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »
Sorry it's a HTC One S.

And there are no dialogs that appear. I've used Juice Defender in the past which has the same functionality and that worked without any issue. I do have a home screen widget for turning mobile data on and off but i'm not sure if that would be the issue.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »
Unfortunately we don't have One S here, so I can't try to reproduce it :(. I'll file a bug and ask around the company if anyone has it.

With the widget I just meant that you should try it if it works. I see that you've tried other apps that work, so that's sorted.

What is weird is that turning mobile data OFF works, but turning it ON doesn't. Could you try to set the Internet to OFF and see if it behaves the same? Thanks.

Also, what version of Battery Saver do you have? You can find it on the About screen - in "three dot menu" on home screen.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:54:59 PM by Ondrej Cermak »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
Hello,

I am having the same problem as buckley. Wifi and Mobile don't seem to connect when I wake the phone up. I am using a Samsung Galaxy SIII SC-06D. I'm also not sure if it is actually checking my emails and instant messages every 5min. (the setting a chose). It seems to do a lot of catching up once I wake it up after more than 30 minutes. I'll continue to watch it.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi LeviXIII,

what version of Android is that? Also what carrier do you have?

Also this https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=170607.0 might be the same issue. Are you able to receive calls/texts when this happens?

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
Thanks for replying. There is no problem with receiving calls. I've since just turned off the app because of missing important messages. I hope you guys can recreate the problem. My android version # is 4.1.2 Model number of my phone SC-06D.

EDIT: My carrier is NTT Docomo. It is a Japanese android phone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:11:52 AM by LeviXIII »

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »
We're getting reports of switching of mobile data failing on some phones because the manufacturer/carrier probably decided that an additional permission is needed to do that (which we can't get because it's a system permission), but unfortunately that doesn't happen on any phones we have here, so I suspect it's a modification done by local carriers. I'll check if we could get some of them.

LeviXIII, could you please check with the newest version (1.2.1057) - edit two profiles so one would turn mobile data on (Internet Always ON) and the other would turn it off (Internet Always OFF), and try to switch between them in Manual mode and see if it does anything with Mobile data? Also do you know any other app that somehow switches mobile data on/off and actually works on your phone?

Thanks,

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 02:21:10 AM »
I tried the test in Manual Mode and it seems to be working now (after the update). I'll try it in automatic mode next. Thanks for working on it.