Author Topic: incompatible antivirus?  (Read 12097 times)

dobbin

incompatible antivirus?
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:22:49 PM »

I used Avast with  NOD32, AVG, Antivir PE, BitDefender without problems.
I had problems when I used Avast and Norton Antivirus.  
Do You know if there are any problems using Avast and others antivirus?

dobbin

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:incompatible antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 09:45:23 PM »
Generally, there are many problems if you run two antiviruses (including their resident protections) simulatenously - and I'm quite sure it doesn't concern avast! only.

So yes, it certainly is very dangerous to run avast! together with Norton Antivirus (or AVG, for example). If you turn off the resident protections of all but one antivirus, then it should work - but according to users' experiences, it's often quite tricky to really disable the resident protection of some antiviruses.

dobbin

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 10:04:23 PM »
I always disable resident protection when I  install a new antivirus.
But sometimes this is not enough.
I think that  many people use two antivirus on their PC and I am interested to know if there are any problems.

dobbin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 10:53:51 PM »
I always disable resident protection when I  install a new antivirus.
But sometimes this is not enough.
I think that  many people use two antivirus on their PC and I am interested to know if there are any problems.

dobbin

Had the same problem with Norton that I removed.
Remove Norton is one of the most difficult things in earth...

Oooohhh, noooooo.... Norton again!!! Get away from it!!! Do not install more than one antivirus program (resident). Norton is the monster of the monsters... Never gets out of the registry... unless a lot of work can be done... But be happy, I´m here because I get rid from Norton, after Vlk and Kubecj precious help, lot of lost hours... But I´m here, I´m avast! To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth!
The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well.

I post the 'saga' here.

Take a deep breath  8)
The best things in life are free.

Waldo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 11:02:24 PM »
Running 2 Av's on 1 pc gives most of the times havoc.

Even if you manage to "really" disable the resident guard of one of them.

If you really want a good backupscanner use : Bitdefender 7 Free (wich doesn't contain a guard).

But a smarter thing to do is, to run a online scanner from time to time.

Pc Cillin :

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

RAV :

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php

There always updated and work just as good as the "full version" (for a on-demand scan).

I personaly don't recommend Panda's online scanner because the virus signatures of this one, can give fals alerts when using your main scanner (Avast). Although it's detection is very good (Panda) i would stay away from it.

Kind regards,

Waldo

dobbin

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 11:06:57 PM »
to Technical

the "saga" is very interesting. I usally use two antivirus on my Pc.
The best results it seems Avast + NOD32.dobbin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 11:09:29 PM »
to Technical

the "saga" is very interesting. I usally use two antivirus on my Pc.
The best results it seems Avast + NOD32.dobbin

No dobbin, listen what Waldo said: do not use two simultaneous antivirus... His suggestion of BidDefender 7.0 Free is the best (see links for downloading here.  ;)

dobbin

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 11:16:58 PM »
to Waldo: thanks for your post. I also use online scanner.
I have used BitDefender 7 free,but, if I remember, this antivirus have the resident guard.
Anyway I haven't any problems wih Avast and AVG and Antivir PE with have resident protection.
In my opinion if resident protection is disabled problems may be only with some antivirus (McAfee? PC Cillin?).dobbin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 11:23:19 PM »
to Waldo: thanks for your post. I also use online scanner.
I have used BitDefender 7 free,but, if I remember, this antivirus have the resident guard.

No, the Free version do not have an 'active' resident guard. See settings, the option is disabled  8)

Anyway I haven't any problems wih Avast and AVG and Antivir PE with have resident protection.
In my opinion if resident protection is disabled problems may be only with some antivirus (McAfee? PC Cillin?).dobbin

No, I don't think so... Windows Registry could have difficulties to handle two antivirus simultaneously right... You may have just a 'felling' of security and not security itself. I do not recommend two antivirus in the same system. Make a search on avast! forum for this thread...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 02:12:19 AM by Technical »

dobbin

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 11:27:54 PM »
No, I don't think so... Windows Registry could not handle two antivirus simultaneously right...

Why?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 11:37:56 PM »
I personally think it's not a registry problem... registry can hold many things simultaneously.
However, problems (conflicts) occur on the low level - file system filters etc.

dobbin

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 11:43:33 PM »
I personally think it's not a registry problem... registry can hold many things simultaneously. Sometimes conflicts may be on the low level - file system filters etc.  But, in my opinion, sometimes.
Avast is a well known product. I think  many people may be used two antivirus on is PC.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 02:16:50 AM »
I personally think it's not a registry problem... registry can hold many things simultaneously.
However, problems (conflicts) occur on the low level - file system filters etc.

Thanks Igor, you're right and I'm wrong. I edit my last post: Windows Registry could have difficulties. I do think this. Read my posts about Norton x avast (there are lots of posts about this).
Waldo is right too. But, of course, dobbin, you can think diffent than us...  ;D

Take care, see you round...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 02:24:20 AM »
Some related forums about the use of two antivirus simultaneously (in this case AVG and avast). Listen Vlk (our guru  ;D): http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=195;start=msg839#msg839

A seach in forums (or at www.wilders.org) will send you to a lot of explanations...  ;)

dobbin

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 06:13:32 AM »
Thank you for your replies and advice.