Author Topic: Does anyone use the Excite.com startpage portal?  (Read 20985 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Does anyone use the Excite.com startpage portal?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
Hi bob3160,

Here actually Google via Google's Adsense could/should have stopped this by blocking this criminal fraudulous BHO abuse. And we can only speculate why they didn't  do so already after they cleansed 192 ad-injecting extensions recently.
But to go and uninstall a browser because you insist on visiting a website with  infectious external links is weird behavior and over the top, "I want this now and instantly and when I cannot get what I want I use another browser!". Even will consider it as a server issue because I won't assume my favorite start page has a malicious browser hijacker link that was not seen for what it was. Why users have MBAM and SAS and adblockers, because often these craploaders are being tolerated because the money they generate is money and the browser user is the product. I repeat this is no browser issue and that website is malicious as Zulu Zscaler scan insists - the infection is not browser dependant. The website is fine minus these two external links. Believe me I have seen thousands of such links in the last years I do cold reconnaissance website analyzing.

Avast does not alert these issues as this is Adware just like some bundled download crap is not being alerted outside PUP mode.
But Google should alert because it is a breach of their Adsense policy terms, but they condone these practices when it is put out before the end-user first in whatever obscure way. I do not like my browser settings being altered  >:( without permission.
Excite com should not want to be associated with BHO links either!

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
Just noticed this with the HTTP Switchboard quote: "From now on, it is suggested to install µMatrix instead: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/%C2%B5matrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf"

So what's up with that?

I don't get it, recommending in the HTTP Switchboard to use another extension instead?  ???
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Hi laksrool,

Same issue as with Disconnect. Sometimes new extensions function better or have a wider action range.
Whenever the extension developer suggests this, it is best to use the latest version of that new extension.
Just like uBlock is better than Adblock Plus as it does not show ads that Google paid them to circumvent,
or Bing or Yahoo for that matter. Wladimir Palant's extension has an independant bureau in Germany,
that makes an awful  lot of money by not blocking certain ads from Big Commerce like Google, Bing and Yahoo
to mention just the top three.

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:14:13 PM »
Blocking these issues in Google Chrome can best be achieved through toggling the marvellous HTTP Switchboard extension, one of the best extensions that recently came to the Google Chrome browser next to ScriptSafe, that blocks this.
Actually Google should have blocked this Adsense abuse from cyber criminals by following their Adsense policy, read: http://stayaway2.blogspot.nl/2014/04/malicious-google-ads-wwwmapsgalaxycom.html
But Google's preaching and Google's everyday's lenient practices are two different sides of the coin, often marketeers and the old god mammon win and flip the coin(s) up their side....  ;D

polonus

So then the "HTTP Switchboard" and "ScriptSafe" are Chrome extensions?  I could use something like the FF "NoScript" for Chrome (when I end up having to use Chrome that is, since it seems like a lot of websites cater to Chrome at the expense of FF or IE).
<snip>

For Chrome browser I believe it is called NotScript add-on and works in the same way as NoScript.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
OK, I see the "HTTP Switchboard" extension is the predecessor to the "uMatrix" extension that are offered by the same developer.  So far uMatrix looks good.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »
Hi laksrool,

You do not have to use Google Chrome. Same extensions also work on the Sleipnir6 browser.
When you use Sleipnir (the top Japanese browser) in your part of the world,
you have less exposure as malcreants are more familiar with Google Chrome.
Just a suggestion.

On the other hand I always use Google Chrome inside sandboxie and
after 5 days I cleanse to start a fresh sandbox install from exported bookmarks and settings.
Works fine for me and is quite quite secure.
The remainder of the laptop is cleansed with CCleaner once in a while.
Cannot remember an issue here.

pol

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Why would you remove chrome when a website you use has a security risk ???

The removal tool is to scan for problems with the browser and remove them if there are any, not remove the Chrome browser itself.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
But just at this point the Google removal tool won't help you. That is modern marketing policy for you.
That is the respect they pay to the end user and his privacy. It is non-existent and that is why what you do using their browser is still free!
You live in the days of everybody wanting to earn on those ad-bundling dollars, and jumping that band-waggon.
Not fifteen years ago.
This is the new legit and illegit industry and Google has turned a blind eye there.
Money is money whatever the clicks that generate it.
Be it benign adclicks or adclicks that will ruin the computer settings of the end-user.
That is the acctual factual situation we live in and you yourself  have to bring the tools into position to block the developers and marketeers that want to score cheap money on unaware user clicks from doing what you do not want.
Come on, we aren't Ripp van Winkles that been sleeping under a stone.

polonus

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
polonus, so if my results using the "software removal tool" you suggested for me to use is "no programs found" then I should NOT have any concerns about what you referred to previously regarding a "sneaky browser hijacker" (a pop-up ads virus downloader)" as reported by the Zulu Zscaler scan report: -ak.imgfarm.com pop-up ads, RIGHT?

So then I'm "clean" in that regard?

Your more knowledgeable in the area of computer security than I'd ever even dream of knowing even if I had another entire lifetime a lot of which I have no idea what your talking about unfortunately, but I certainly do appreciate the help concerning what doesn't go right over my head.  ;)

There is so much on computer security it is overwhelming for me as  to what is the best way to go.  Maybe I'll try the "uMatrix" extension as it's got good reviews.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
WOWEE, AM I A HAPPY CAMPER!!!

The Excite.com portal is BACK UP!!

Presumably their "server issues" they said the were having in a limited area has finally been solved.  YAY!!

I am so glad it's not an infection issue, but then I couldn't see how it could have been impacting the Excite startpage for all of our 4 household computers all at once most of which we don't hardly use at all.

I'm good again.  ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Sorry, but some folks just seem perfectly happy wearing their blinders even if
the dangers have been pointed out to them.
Good luck and enjoy your homepage.  :(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
bob3160, in case you're interested because you were kind enough to refer me to another startpage option.

Attached is just a very small fraction of my ExciteStartpage which amounts to far less than just 10% of the entire page.  The page includes daily reminders, as I said literally 100's of bookmarks, news literally from any source you can imagine, quotes of the day, on this day, emails, dictionaries, words of the day and on and on like this, along with weather from as many locations as you want from anywhere around the world as well as searches, cartoons, games, news paper links from any where around the world, top box office, favorite columnists, movie listings from anywhere you set it up for, TV program reminders, entire TV schedule for any area you want that can extend for the next three weeks or more and on and on.... The startpage seems virtually limitless in size and what can be included.

Like I said this attachment represents less than 10% of the entire page, but gives you a taste as to what you can do.

Addendum: I decided to add a second attachment just showing part of the TV listing that can be searched for the 3+ weeks.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
Sorry, but some folks just seem perfectly happy wearing their blinders even if
the dangers have been pointed out to them.
Good luck and enjoy your homepage.  :(

I've been using this startpage since 1995 like I said (20 years now) and I've never had an infection due to it, not even now as it turns out it WAS a "server issue" obviously.

I'll go with 20 years of no problems considering the efficacy of the start page.  I suppose there are so many ways to get infected, I'm just going to be as careful as possible and use as safety measures such as Disconnect, NoScript, APB along with Avast, windows defender and Spywareblaster and hope for the best.

I've learned a lot as to what I can add to the Chrome browser (even though I rarely us it) because with all of the discussion here it became a concern for me.

But as it turns out, no infection, just a "server down" is all I've had problems with for now 20 years using the startpage, not a bad record if you ask me.  ;)

Considering I don't likely have another 20 years, I'm good.  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
I can get all of that with the website I posted but it doesn't have any security warnings.
I don't use it as my home page because I don't have the time to wait for all that stuff to load.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
I can get all of that with the website I posted but it doesn't have any security warnings.
I don't use it as my home page because I don't have the time to wait for all that stuff to load.  :)

Mine loads completely in 10 seconds, tried it twice just now in FF both times the same.  I can live with waiting 10 seconds for the advantages of having everything I need at my fingertips.

Like as said, however, I do appreciate your recommendation.  You ought to try the one you recommended Hubbley or something like that.

As to the risk with my page, I block everything with NoScript except the domain name itself, so for what it's worth I presume I'm safe.  Besides that I posted a number of security check web sites on the first page that all say my start page is SAFE.  While maybe they are all wrong, I think just using the startpage every time I go on line for 20 years and without any issues is a record that sort of speaks for itself.

You'd probably be the first to say you can never be sure, you might try Hubbley and get infected in some way the first day, who can be sure?

All I can say is that while I'm sure there are risks with almost any thing you do on the web including my startpage, the 20 year record of not having any problems as a result of the startpage at least helps relieve me a little of all the anxiety you have raised in me with your well intended warnings (of which I do appreciate).  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:47:53 PM by lakrsrool »