Author Topic: Do I need more than the Standard Shield?  (Read 6300 times)

avastman

Do I need more than the Standard Shield?
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:43:21 PM »
Hi.

If I'm using the Standard Shield, are any of the other on-access scanners truly required?

In other words, by using only the Standard Shield, am I significantly more vulnerable than if I run all of the on-access scanners?

I realize by using other on-access scanners that malware may be detected earlier and that some potentially dangerous activities may be blocked completely (which could protect me from malware not detected by Avast!).  But for malware detected by Avast!, am I actually leaving open any security holes by using only the Standard Shield?

Thanks!

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Do I need more than the Standard Shield?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:34:39 PM »
Hello avastman :)

IMHO the Standard Shield is the main on-access shield and it's OK if you use only it, but if you have programs like MSN, P2P programs, mail programs it is strongly recommended to use the appropriative Shield/Provider for the program ;)

Also if you use Internet you must use Web Shield too!!!
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:58:02 PM »
Yes, think of Standard Shield as a last line of defence and thing of your other providers as a first line of defence, their task in most cases is to detect a virus before it gets on to your HDD where it is more difficult to handle.

You need only have the providers that are applicable to what you do on the internet. If you don't use file sharing P2P then you don't need that provider, check the avast help file for a description of each of the providers and you will see if you require them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »
If the virus in question is being written to file and then executed - Standard shield will suffice. Otherwise not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:30:24 PM »
If the virus in question is being written to file and then executed - Standard shield will suffice. Otherwise not.
And IF the security level is let on HIGH, otherwise even the Standard Shield won't detect some infections.
I see not a reason to use only the Standard as dedicated providers will catch the virus first and better sometimes.

Web Shield, for instance, HTTP (web) traffic before it reaches the browser.

Web > Web Shield > Browser > Standard Shield

All data is first checked and then passed to the browser, and if the data is cached it can be also checked by Standard Shield.
So there is much smaller chance of getting infected by some exploit if the data is scanned before it actually hits the browser itself. In other words, the idea of the web shield is to scan the http stream, to detect any possible virus infection before it has time to get established on the local disk.

Besides this, avast is the first antivirus with a dedicated NNTP scanner for "News".
The best things in life are free.

avastman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 10:40:59 PM »
Thank you all for your advice!   :D

I wanted to avoid the overhead (cpu, memory, etc.) of the other on-access scanners if they were not important to my overall security.

I will experiment with a few and watch their resource usage.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
Well, for optimal protection you need 4 providers.

Standard Shield, teh basic form of protection
Network Shield, Sasser/Blaster like IDS protection
Web Shield, protection from browser exploits,ActiveX contrls and other web hazards
Internet Mail, even if you don't use any mail client it's still useful as Proactive module to detect Mass mail worms even if they are not detected by any other provider using signatures
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Peltz

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 05:12:43 PM »
Strange, but I haven't noticed any dramatic differences in Avast's memory usage no matter if I'm running only 1 provider or all 7 of them...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »
Strange, but I haven't noticed any dramatic differences in Avast's memory usage no matter if I'm running only 1 provider or all 7 of them...
The providers take memory ONLY when they're working and scanning, otherwise, thanks the programmers, not  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »
Well Netowrk Shield and P2P/IM Shields don't use any visually extra memory.
Internet Mail and Web Shield do. But not that much and most of the memory is actually shared with main process but only shown as separate in Task Manager.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 10:21:58 PM »
Well Netowrk Shield and P2P/IM Shields don't use any visually extra memory.
Internet Mail and Web Shield do. But not that much and most of the memory is actually shared with main process but only shown as separate in Task Manager.
Thanks for your explanation. I thought that Internet Mail and WebShield, when disabled, won't use resources...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »
Welli meant for runtime. I belive avast! unloads them if you Terminate those providers (Terminate button, not Pause!).