Author Topic: AVAST Network scan and router conundrums  (Read 16528 times)

Offline Alexwarnum

AVAST Network scan and router conundrums
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
Hello :D
I have two issues, one regarding AVAST scan and other concerning some router questions.

1. So, just for kicks I ran AVAST network scan (using AVAST Free, fully updated) and it found that "Your router is accessible from the internet". Now, I have ASUS RT-N10E router, and it was just factory resetted the other day. In AVAST help window with solutions, for ASUS it says to turn off "Enable web access from WAN" and it is disabled already by default.

Anything else I can do to fix this? Some of the settings on the router are:

- SSID is not hidden
- Solid passwords for both router itself and WiFi with WPA2/AES
- Latest firmware installed
- It's operating mode is "IP Sharing Mode (Default)" - more on this later in second issue
- WPS is disabled (don't use it, don't need it)
- Wireless MAC filter is disabled as well as regular MAC filter
- Firewall is enabled (everything else in it is disabled though, like "enable web access from wan")

2. The other thing is that I'm not so sure about some settings and such. My network setup looks something like this:

ISP optical cable coming from the outside of the house >> Optical Modem/Router >> LAN cable to ASUS RT-N10E >> 3 LAN cables from ASUS (to PC, XBox and PS3) and WiFi

So, here are my questions about all that:

a) Cable modem/router is setup so that I can't change default USER/PASS  :P
Now, that modem is accessible only through my LAN and ASUS router is "protected" with good passwords and encryption. Is this ok? Or should I be able to change Modem's pass as well? Plus, could this be the problem for my AVAST network scan result (when I click "go to router settings" in avast it opens ASUS login page, not modem's)?

b) There are DNS problems with my ISP now and then and I have to use Open DNS and Google Public DNS and they work very well.
Can I input those public DNS directly to router or even cable modem and not only change in Windows network settings (or leave it to pull automatically DNS from ISP, in this case open DNS from modem)? Pros, cons for that (not public DNS, but inputing public dns into router/modem)?

c) My ASUS RT-N10E is running in IP Sharing Mode (Default), but there is also Access Point Mode. Which should I use in my current setup as described above, where I use modem>router>other wired and wireless stuff? Or is Access Point only for WiFi?

d) Should I change RT-N10E domain name in Settings (under LAN/ LAN-IP)? What does this do actually and does it have an effect on anything important?

e) Under LAN settings for ASUS, there is LAN-Route, it says "Enable static routes" and it's disabled. Is this ok? what does this do?

f) My cable modem IP ends in 1.1 but ASUS is 2.1, and it won't work if I set ASUS to end in 1.2 or 1.3. Why is this? Will this change if I use Access Point mode instead of IP sharing?

Sorry for the bunch of questions but I'm a total noob when it comes to network settings and hope some answers here would help me learn something new and helpful. Basicaly I'm asking what is the safest and most secure way for the setup describe above (modem>router>pc,xbox,ps3,wifi) to work properly?

Thanks in advance :D

Offline Alexwarnum

Re: AVAST Network scan and router conundrums
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
Aw shucks, I posted on the wrong subforum, wanted to post in it General, not here :P Can you move it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alexwarnum

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST Network scan and router conundrums
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0