Author Topic: How to uninstall SecureLine VPN?  (Read 67413 times)

REDACTED

How to uninstall SecureLine VPN?
« on: April 04, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
i don't want it to run, and don't want it on my taskbar...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:36:53 PM by tumic »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: mac how to uninstall secure line VPN on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
There's no SecureLine for OS X, afaik.
If you mean SL for iOS, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=57.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
It came with the latest beta version. I think there's an uninstaller in the application package.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »
It came with the latest beta version.
Interesting, thanks. Wonder why the devs didn't share that info with us. ::)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline joelw135

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
It came with the latest beta version. I think there's an uninstaller in the application package.

I figured it out, but it takes quick reactions. First went to Library/ Launch Agents then removed the file for the VPN next reboot and launch file manager and drag the VPN to the trash real fast before it loads and then remove the trash. Hasn't shown up in activity monitor since. I am not sure what else it effects but so far no problems.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:04:50 PM by joelw135 »

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »
This is news to me, I'm running the latest version of Avast for Mac and I have no traces of this Secure Line thing on my this system.
Does it only install if it's a fresh install of Avast?

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
Hello,
  Avast SecureLine is at this moment installed in a beta channel, to all users it will be released approximatelly in two weaks.

In order to uninstall the SecureLine, open its window using the menubar icon and click "Uninstall" in File menu.

Martin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:30:03 PM by krahulik »

REDACTED

Re: How to uninstall SecureLine VPN?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
Can you give us a hint on how to access the menu to uninstall it?  I've been using PCs since 1984 and I can't figure it out.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 05:17:35 AM »
I used an app uninstaller (AppZapper, but there are others) to wipe both SecureLine and Avast anti-virus for Mac off my machine.

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Hi,
  if you would like to uninstall the SecureLine application, you can just launch it (i.e using Finder) and use File->Uninstall menu.

Best Regards,
  Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
I am actually pretty annoyed that avast installed an application without asking. I expect you to prevent rogue programs and viruses from installing and not add more to the pile. This is the second time your software has added something that I had to go out of my way to remove.  A VPN application is not an upgrade.... it is a completely unrelated piece of software that I did not ask for and it makes me second guess using your product entirely.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:34:48 AM by james.pageau »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
I completely agree with James on this one.. How is a VPN in any possible way related to what is essentially antivirus software? Im mean, I can't see it, can you explain it to me perhaps?
You'll notice I'm quite annoyed with this..  :) It's just that I absolutely loathe software randomly installing other software that I did not ask for and thus do not need...

Anyway I got rid of it by moving it to trash.. Hope it's a permanent fix.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
I cannot for the life of me understand the thought process with this. Avast managers sit down and say "hey guys and gals, we need to monetise our free service. Shall we just install some new software without warning and then ask for some money?" ...it really is beyond moronic. If YOU'D ASKED US if we wanted a VPN service installed then at least we'd have had a choice, but no, you decided to be dumb in the interests of your bank account. I've been using Avast for donkeys years and have recommended and installed it on so, so many friends and families pc's (instead of AVG), but it's hard to trust you after this stupid stunt. It's like the Amazon Prime 30 day trial thing, where they hope users forget to cancel the trial...except that they were at least asked in the first place. Very, very, very disappointing, not to say annoying too. 1 out of 10. Must try harder.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:03:51 AM »
Avast managers sit down and say "hey guys and gals, we need to monetise our free service. Shall we just install some new software without warning and then ask for some money?"

Yes, this is exactly how it works. Its called the "freemium" business model and is used by Avast for years. What's new is, that its becoming a little bit more aggressive...

If YOU'D ASKED US if we wanted a VPN service installed then at least we'd have had a choice, but no, you decided to be dumb in the interests of your bank account.

You still have the choice. You can choose not to use SecureLine and uninstall it. We (the developers) also don't love this new behavior and would prefer the "traditional" method of installing based on user selection (rather than un-installing based on user selection), but the managers belive that this method will bring in more users (= more money), so it was done this way. And yes, it's as you write - the interests of our bank account come first. This is however nothing one should wonder about as making money IS the purpose of a company.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
You still have the choice. You can choose not to use SecureLine and uninstall it. We (the developers) also don't love this new behavior and would prefer the "traditional" method of installing based on user selection (rather than un-installing based on user selection), but the managers belive that this method will bring in more users (= more money), so it was done this way. And yes, it's as you write - the interests of our bank account come first. This is however nothing one should wonder about as making money IS the purpose of a company.

You should probably start looking for a new job. If your management is pushing for behavior like this your company won't be around for long. Security products are sold based on trust and your management is using your reputation to scrub toilets.