Author Topic: How to uninstall SecureLine VPN?  (Read 67410 times)

REDACTED

Re: How to uninstall SecureLine VPN?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
Tumic,

I appreciate your honesty and I do understand the concept of freemium and Avast are certainly not the only company to use this model. I can also sympathise with companies needing to make money...otherwise they go bust! ...but as you've candidly said yourself, this isn't the way to go about it and almost 5000 views on this post already (presumably the tip of an irritated iceberg) would indicate that Avast have dropped the ball with this one. Let's hope your management team read these posts and realise that they got it wrong this time. AV companies more than almost any other need to be trusted implicitly and this "verging on the disingenuous" scam to hoodwink users certainly doesn't help to engender the trust Avast need to make fairly earned upsell money.

I'm sure you're having great fun dealing with the aftermath of another managers "great idea" ;-) ...sorry for your pain.

Patrick

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Just thought I'd register to let you know that I'm uninstalling Avast after SecureLine popped up at me this morning.  I was mad but willing to live with it sitting in the background, but now that it's in my face, I'm done.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
I'm not so much interested in bashing avast! as I like the antivirus product. I just in no way want the vpn product.

I tried a trial of the vpn product on my pc about a year ago, network access became very problematic and degraded, and it was h@ll trying to get it uninstalled from my PC. And, I am a technically savvy user. In the end, I had to completely deinstall all of everything avast!, and then reinstall just the virus checker.

That was a year ago, and now I am trying out a Mac again after 15 years. Cool machine, but while installing avast! the vpn addition crept on.

I can find no way of specifically uninstalling it. When it does come up, all I get is a message dialog that says: "Remote Service Error", and then "Installation could not be registered with the remote service, please try it again later."

I don't want to try it again later, I wangt to deinstall it. I do not get any menu option in Finder or otherwise that allows me to uninstall.

Thx for helping.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 10:42:01 PM »
I don't want to try it again later, I wangt to deinstall it. I do not get any menu option in Finder or otherwise that allows me to uninstall.

The option is in the SecureLine menu, not in Finder menu. Just open SecureLine and in the "File" menu choose "Uninstall SecureLine".
That's all.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 02:41:24 AM »
 >:(
Pass the word to the management that users are going to quit Avast in droves if this behavior doesn't stop. I was a very happy user for years but with this SecureLine in iOS having so many problems and now it installs without notification in MacOS, I am jut about ready to delete everywhere.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm completely new to Avast. Thanks to Avast team for this free product.

At the end of the installation on my Mac, I see Google Chrome and SecureLine VPN both installed as well.

I don't trust Chrome, I don't want it. I've already a VPN solution and I don't want SecureLine VPN.

Why is there no option to disable those software during the installation ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:36:43 PM by jumpinjack »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 10:52:59 AM »
Why is there no option to disable those software during the installation ?

There is such an option. You can select the installed components during installation like in any
other PKG (we use the standard Apple installer).

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
I just uninstall and restart the system but I can't connect to Internet via wi-fi. The router it's ok , just check with other devices. With the Mac via wifi I can't connect. How to solve this ? Already instal again the avast and uninstall again but the problem still there. Need yr help on this, please.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
This is COMPLETE BS! How can Avast betray my trust and install a program or addon WITHOUT my knowledge or consent?

I have recommended and installed Avast on over 100 devices and I will now remove it from every SINGLE one of them. If you betray my trust and shove something down my throat, I will stop using you and I already have.

Bye Avast! Good Riddance!

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
This is COMPLETE BS! How can Avast betray my trust and install a program or addon WITHOUT my knowledge or consent?

I have recommended and installed Avast on over 100 devices and I will now remove it from every SINGLE one of them. If you betray my trust and shove something down my throat, I will stop using you and I already have.

Bye Avast! Good Riddance!

Really?
Avast for Mac has been, for months, installing a browser extension (that is not needed for webshield to work) that is active by default and even gathers statistics about your traffic and people seem to be fine with it, however, if it's an app that only does anything if you actually launch it and activate it then it's a 'betrayal of your trust'?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:26:05 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline tiosancho

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:49 AM »
Avast for Mac has been, for months, installing a browser extension

What extension is that?  I don't see any listed on my computer.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 04:21:02 AM »
Avast for Mac has been, for months, installing a browser extension

What extension is that?  I don't see any listed on my computer.

Avast Online Security
I don't know if they still bundle it, I used to have to disable it before starting any browser after installing a new version of Avast.

The Chrome version:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/avast-online-security/gomekmidlodglbbmalcneegieacbdmki

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
----------[but the managers belive that this method will bring in more users (= more money), so it was done this way. And yes, it's as you write - the interests of our bank account come first. This is however nothing one should wonder about as making money IS the purpose of a company.

Making money? FAIL!!

I tried it, liked it, and purchased
Activation failed -- repeatedly over time.
Called tech support FAIL!!!  He told me: 1 An AV program must be interfering. 2. It won't run on a Mac  3. Will not escalate on the phone --go to Avast website.

Contacted my payment service for dispute resolution.  Dispute resolution immediately declined by vender (What? No "oopsie, let's fix this"?) -- FAIL!! 
Payment service escalated from resolution to claim mode.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 05:32:16 AM »
Avast is done. No more paying for lack of service and automated crap installed. I've had massive advertising the junk crap of private browsing, and after repeated "no thanks," then I get this bs. Bye Avast.