Author Topic: Veoh Player Being Blocked  (Read 3114 times)

REDACTED

Veoh Player Being Blocked
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

Today I tried to download the Veoh web player.  First Avast stopped the download and blocked the download page.  So I thought I'd be sneaky and turn off the Web Shield to download it.  As soon as I tried to install it, Avast went nuts and told me to reboot and do a boot scan.  In the boot scan in Win32 there was an installation file, PUP-gen, which is now sitting in the virus vault and I wasn't aware PUP files were considered viruses.

Every forum or Q&A site I have visited that isn't trying to sell me their shady software says Veoh is safe.  But Avast is blocking it.  Any suggestions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Veoh Player Being Blocked
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
http://www.pcinfected.com/veoh-web-player-toolbar-removal/

The Veoh Web Player Toolbar is frequently categorized as a browser hijacker because it takes control of the Web browser and does things the user may not have specifically requested. For example, even if you set your “home” page, Veoh Web Player Toolbar will display its own site (http://search.conduit.com/). Or when you try to get to Google or Bing to perform a search, the browser will redirect to Veoh Web Player Customized Web Search (search.conduit.com). A toolbar will also appear at the top of your browser window.

It’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.

I recomend running a scan with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner to remove all the crap you may have

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:32:59 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
Conduit, eh?  I had trouble with that one a few years back and even after Malware Bytes and a few others, I had to go into the registry and manually remove things, line by line. 

Avast wouldn't let me install and after seeing that, I'm going to avoid Veoh.  I run Malware Bytes on a regular basis and the most it ever finds is a cookie it doesn't like.  I will download AdwCleaner, but I haven't seen any suspicious things listed in my list of installed programs and I can still get to Google. 

Thanks for the information on how it installs Conduit.  I still shudder at the thought of that experience.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
I run Malware Bytes on a regular basis and the most it ever finds is a cookie it doesn't like.
very strange .... as Malwarebytes does not target cookies   ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
I suggest you let one of the malware fighters have a look:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0