Author Topic: Can't update database  (Read 4402 times)

Scodlet3000

Can't update database
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:21:30 PM »
I hadn’t done an update for a while (current version of virus database: 0535-2, 31/08/05) when I recently tried to download the latest version of the virus database and initially got the following message:-

“Error: Cannot connect to server.”

Then after a minute or two an avast message window pops up saying:-

“Cannot connect to download17.avast.com (67.19.216.186:80).” – along with a list of possible reasons why this might be.  I don’t believe the problem is related to any of the listed possibilities as I haven’t changed anything since the last time I did an update.

I believe that my pc is infected by something that is blocking my ability to download updates.

I am also having problems downloading updates for Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Can someone please help me as to what to do or try next?

Thank you.

P.S.

1. I do have a copy of the log file for the attempted download if that is of any use.

2. The Avast version that I have is ‘4.5 Home Edition’

3. The message window that pops up seems to indicate a different server address every time?!  Is this correct?  Examples are: as mentioned above, also:-

Cannot connect to download8.avast.com (67.15.104.48:80).
Cannot connect to download6.avast.com (67.15.0.83:80).
Etc ….

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can't update database
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
Make sure Avast has the correct permissions in your firewall.

To clean a system from malware (and protect it against) follow the instructions in the malware removal section on this website: http://mrspock.dsmirc.co.uk

Yes it is correct that Avast tries to connect to another server when the first one failed. All servers are in a file called server.def

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 03:12:07 PM »
What is your firewall, it is possible that it may be blocking avast.setup which needs internet access as it is required to carry out the auto updates. If it is blocked, delete the entry and do a manual update, that should trigger the firewall check, answer yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Scodlet3000

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 05:09:03 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall.

I've checked the permissions (and deleted them) but there doesn't seem to be a problem there - as far as I can understand (i.e. i'm no expert).  And, as I mentioned originally - I haven't changed anything (including firewall options) since the last time I did an avast update ?

Any ideas ?  Much appreciated.

P.S. I'm on dial-up not broadband so I always do my updates manually.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:27:02 PM »
I'm on dial-up as well, so no problem there, I have mine to check and notify me "Ask when update is available" rather than "manual" which would disable the automatic update.

I also note that you state that you have version 4.5, the latest version is 4.6.691 so if that is correct then it has been a considerable time since you updated.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. However, since your program would appear to be well out of date, it may be advisable to download avast again, uninstall the current version, boot and install the latest version.
If you haven't kept a copy of the registration key you can register again and get a new one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 07:11:25 PM »
 :)  Have you checked "Date and Time" in your Control Panel
     to make sure it is up-to-date ? If not, this could cause
     problems updating anything. A recent visit to the
     Spybot/Net-Integration.net forums shows a problem with
     bad "checksums" that have "delayed" updates, though
    "manual" ones are available. See their "Spybot 1.x" forum.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:15:18 PM by Spiritsongs »

Scodlet3000

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »
Cheers for your comments DavidR.  I will try what you suggest.  Re. upgrading to the latest version - I have a quick / simple question (which I've been meaning to ask for some time - for this and for other programs) - what happens to 'items' that have been placed in the Virus Chest (as well as specific settings etc ...) ?

And many thanks also to Spiritsongs.  What you say is very interesting as the symptoms you mention (i.e. 'bad checksums') are exactly what I was getting when trying to update Spybot.  Unfortunately, my pc's system date and time are fine so ...?  I have been trying to check the forum but it appears to be down just now but will try again later.  Question: When you say "manual ones are available" - do you mean downloading the updates manually should be ok? - because that is not what I am finding > I am seeing the 'bad checksum' problem when doing a manual download?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »
Re. upgrading to the latest version - I have a quick / simple question (which I've been meaning to ask for some time - for this and for other programs) - what happens to 'items' that have been placed in the Virus Chest (as well as specific settings etc ...) ?
If you uninstall the old version, you'll lose the settings and the items on Chest.
If you just upgrade (overinstall) they will continue there.

When you say "manual ones are available" - do you mean downloading the updates manually should be ok? - because that is not what I am finding > I am seeing the 'bad checksum' problem when doing a manual download?
I think he's talking about downloading the file from the website and running, not into the program.
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe
The best things in life are free.