Author Topic: Anyone having problems with NetVeda?  (Read 14667 times)

fannymites

Anyone having problems with NetVeda?
« on: October 14, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
I'm trying out NetVeda Safety.Net firewall and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I'm getting the old problem of avast needing permission to access the net after every update which I've had with a couple of firewalls in the past but, after some searches, I haven't noticed any other people having this with NetVeda.

Secondly, I get quite a lot of warning pop-ups that the webshield is being blocked from connecting various restricted ports such as 1900, 445 etc but I only have webshield set to scan ports 80, 81 and 443.  Does anyone know why webshield would be trying to connect to these ports?  I use a fair few security apps and I'm 99.9% certain I don't have any trojans or anything.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Anyone having problems with NetVeda?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 05:33:20 PM »
I believe there have been a few threads relating to NetVeda so I would suggest a forum search.

I can't see how web shield is being blocked as it doesn't scan those ports. Other than NetVeda not being able to monitor the program attempting to use the local proxy of web shield in a similar way to the local proxy loopback issue with Sygate, where the only way for it to work was not to use the transparent proxy of web shield but to manually set your browser to use the a proxy localhost, port 12080.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 10:28:50 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »
As David R wrote, Web Shield uses local port of 12080.  So, I presume that you meant remote ports.  As far as I know, port 1900 and 455 are popular intrusion route.  Are you sure your computer hasn't been taken by a bot?

Web Shield is designed for HTTP port not HTTPS port.  It is useless to let Web Shield scan port 443 since the port is not designed to be read from outside.

fannymites

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:04:02 AM »
Ok first up, thanks for the info on port 443.  I do remember reading that some time ago but it must have slipped my mind.

After more searching of the forums and google I still didn't find similar problems relating to NetVeda but after some more detailed inspecting I've found answers to the problems.

First problem, regarding being asked for permission after an avast update.  When asked if I want to allow I had been selecting to allow always but for some reason in the NetVeda app trust settings it keeps showing as ask, rather than allow.  After changing it manually in the trust setting, avast updated itself earlier without NetVeda asking.  Problem solved.

Second problem, this has turned out to be cock-ups on my part, as so many problems turn out to be.  I had rules set to block the more dangerous ports but I had only half set them up so ports like 1900 were being blocked to all protocols and all directions and avast webshield was actually being blocked from using local port 1900 when connecting outbound.  I couldn't find any record of it being blocked to port 445 so I really don't know where I got that from.  Another mistake.  I really should get more sleep.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:41:30 AM »
It has been a journey but you have learnt something in the process and so have we. Interestingly I found about 15 hits (including this one) on the forum search for netveda in the avast 4 home/pro, general and off-topic forums. It also goes under the name Safety Net I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:08:32 AM »
Errr…fannymites seems to have the firewall block even Web Shield loopbacks, which is not helped by the search but spending time with firewall apps.  Yes, I myself made a lot of unbelievable mistakes before I became accustomed to Kerio.  :P

It is good that there was nothing serious, in any case.

Arup

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:58:28 PM »
Fannymites,

If you see my posts at Wilders, I have been one of the early users of NetVeda, sadly, this promising app has gone the Jetico way with no updates, it does have problems with Avast transparent scanning as well as updates, I stopped using it months back as anything that doesn't work with Avast is out of my system. Even the new ZAP6 gave me problems, Avast Web Shield as well as mail scanning stopped functioning so out it went from my system. The older version 5.5 ZAP although did not give me this problem. In your case, I would advise you to try out other firewalls.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »
In your case, I would advise you to try out other firewalls.
Kerio, Sygate and Outpost don't have problems with WebShield  8)
The best things in life are free.

Umath

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:34:31 PM »
Fannymites,

If you see my posts at Wilders, I have been one of the early users of NetVeda, sadly, this promising app has gone the Jetico way with no updates, it does have problems with Avast transparent scanning as well as updates, I stopped using it months back as anything that doesn't work with Avast is out of my system.

Then, this is what DavidR mentioned.  I missed to read his edited post.  :-[

In your case, I would advise you to try out other firewalls.
Kerio, Sygate and Outpost don't have problems with WebShield  8)

And Zone Alarm Free, I guess…and as DavidR wrote in the edited post, the loopback problem with Sygate (and Netvida) virtually disables the user to use Web Shield as a transparent proxy server.

Unfortunately, the lack of the number of firewall apps which can be used with Avast is a downer for Avast.  Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »
There is nothing stopping NetVeda's use with avast, you only need to manually set your browser to use the web shield proxy and don't use the transparent proxy of web shield as I mentioned in that post.

Umath

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »
There is nothing stopping NetVeda's use with avast, you only need to manually set your browser to use the web shield proxy and don't use the transparent proxy of web shield as I mentioned in that post.

as DavidR wrote in the edited post, the loopback problem with Sygate (and Netvida) virtually disables the user to use Web Shield as a transparent proxy server.

I think I understood you correctly, DavidR.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:06 PM »
Unfortunately, the lack of the number of firewall apps which can be used with Avast is a downer for Avast.  Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.
My reply was more related to your comment as it doesn't mean you can't use a firewall with avast, just that you would have to set up some of them not to use the transparent function of avast (just as non-NT based OSes have to) and set your browsers proxy to use web shield. You don't have to disable web shield.

Umath

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 04:08:40 PM »
Unfortunately, the lack of the number of firewall apps which can be used with Avast is a downer for Avast.  Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.
My reply was more related to your comment as it doesn't mean you can't use a firewall with avast, just that you would have to set up some of them not to use the transparent function of avast (just as non-NT based OSes have to) and set your browsers proxy to use web shield. You don't have to disable web shield.

Like with 95/98/Me system.  Doesn't it lower the security a bit?  I think Tech mentioned this while ago.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 04:17:37 PM »
And Zone Alarm Free, I guess…and as DavidR wrote in the edited post, the loopback problem with Sygate (and Netvida) virtually disables the user to use Web Shield as a transparent proxy server.
Sorry, forget to mention it. ZA free works perfectly with avast! and WebShield.

Unfortunately, the lack of the number of firewall apps which can be used with Avast is a downer for Avast.  Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.  :(
I don't think there are such few firewalls for that. Proxy - firewall - antivirus programs have issues each other. Sometimes is due to avast! but a lot of times is the other part. In this case, ZoneLabs driver conflict was never corrected by them. It's well known the problem is there and not here.
The best things in life are free.

Umath

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 04:30:25 PM »
I don't think there are such few firewalls for that. Proxy - firewall - antivirus programs have issues each other. Sometimes is due to avast! but a lot of times is the other part. In this case, ZoneLabs driver conflict was never corrected by them. It's well known the problem is there and not here.

The recent issue with Kerio and Sygate made me pessimistic but I guess I am O.K. now.  :D

Jokes aside, it's nice to know pros and cons of apps and their combinations.