Author Topic: Anyone having problems with NetVeda?  (Read 14664 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Anyone having problems with NetVeda?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 06:19:28 PM »
Unfortunately, the lack of the number of firewall apps which can be used with Avast is a downer for Avast.  Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.
My reply was more related to your comment as it doesn't mean you can't use a firewall with avast, just that you would have to set up some of them not to use the transparent function of avast (just as non-NT based OSes have to) and set your browsers proxy to use web shield. You don't have to disable web shield.

Like with 95/98/Me system.  Doesn't it lower the security a bit?  I think Tech mentioned this while ago.

As far as I aware not it doesn't lower your security as you are still able to use web shield, just that you have to configure your browser to use it (not too difficult). It is certainly more secure than leaving the transparent proxy of web shield on when the firewall can't differentiate between the program using the web shield local host proxy. It is much more secure than disabling web shield completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 10:39:52 PM »
DavidR, I understood you alright. I think it is just the tone or my English.

Alternatively, you might like to stop using Web Shield, though.

I used the modal auxiliary verb "might" to indicate low possibility or unlikeliness.

Jarmo P

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 09:15:57 PM »
I came back to Sygate, even though it has the proxy issue, from Kerio 2.1.5, 2 days ago. I feel actually a bit safer with SPF than Kerio 2.1.5.

Heard so much of BSODs that could come with Kerio, I became a bit wary.
But in my experience it was a really good firewall.
It forgot it's settings when I accidentally ran it with SP2 firewall together, but never otherwise.
But forgetting it's rules, they were the allow ones, so I was still safe :)

It was a good experience.

As long as you don't use transparent proxy setting and configure your trusted browsers to avast WebShield only, it is a well behaved local proxy with SPF and I guess NetVeda too :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:24 PM »
I feel actually a bit safer with SPF than Kerio 2.1.5.
Why? And what about Kerio last version 4.2.1

Heard so much of BSODs that could come with Kerio, I became a bit wary.
But in my experience it was a really good firewall.
I haven't any... My experience is very good...

It forgot it's settings when I accidentally ran it with SP2 firewall together, but never otherwise.
Version 4 install disables SP2 firewall automatically.
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 10:26:08 PM »
Tech, my words were about my Kerio 2.1.5 experience, and as I said not much bad experiences expect with it. Only loosing rules and needing to load them back. An easy thing to do btw.
It was a side topic mention.

So Kerio 4.2.1 should not be commented by you. I have no experience with it. Happy you like it :P
I am not into firewall arguments, but you never understand :(

I posted mine cause the transparent proxy topic came out. And seems common with both Sygate and Netveda that they have local proxy issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »
I am not into firewall arguments, but you never understand :(
No, you're misundertanding me.
I'm not telling that we need to argument. I just want to share your knowleadge and learn...  :-[

Jarmo P

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 03:02:50 PM »
Well, Tech my friend, hehe.
I just installed Kerio 4.2.2, the latest.
So far so good.

Good thing is, it has ability to save configuration, same as KPF 2.1.5, unlike my trusted Sygate.

I am so far sticking to pure application rules.
I did not see the point of importing BZ's packet rules from my 2.1.5 install, since this firewall is so different from KPF 2.1.5.

Only shortcoming so far is that connection log, as I see is not sortable, like in SPF.

Will post in a new thread if any bad experiences happen.

Needles to say on my system is only now installed Kerio 4.2.2.
Some people try to have 2 firewalls installed, stupids.
Not knowing that even if they are not running same time, driver level conflicts can happen.

Hope my post does not upset you NetVeda user's reading this thread, since it is quite far off the topic :P

Jarmo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
I just installed Kerio 4.2.2, the latest.
I have troubles... takes all CPU at the logon time and does not release...  :'(
I rolled back my system to 4.2.1  ::)

Good thing is, it has ability to save configuration, same as KPF 2.1.5, unlike my trusted Sygate.
Safe and import configuration is a must have feature...

I did not see the point of importing BZ's packet rules from my 2.1.5 install, since this firewall is so different from KPF 2.1.5.
Tons of users recommended the BZ's rules... In fact they do not seem 'easy' to me, requires a lot of user intervention, etc.
I let the things like the default.

Only shortcoming so far is that connection log, as I see is not sortable, like in SPF.
Yeah, bad thing for Kerio.

Thanks.