Author Topic: avast causing slow access to start button 'right-click' options.. any solution?  (Read 2898 times)

thedarkness

Hi, I have installed a fresh copy of avast free (no previous antivirus) on a 64-bit windows 8 system, newly updated to 8.1.
I have noticed on the desktop that if I right click on the start button to bring up the menu, and select a notable option such as 'control panel', the system can take 10+ seconds to finally appear. If I click on my own manually created control panel shortcut from the desktop however, most interestingly the switch is instantaneous with no lag. The lag via the right-click menu is not present when avast is uninstalled.

Any tips on how I can speed up this issue? I don't see any other problems at present. I installed avast before on a seperate 64-bit win 8 system in the past that caused the system to be unusable (the system struggled in loading the desktop fully, was possibly a conflict with zonealarm, but I now use privatefirewall with all avast services allowed). This new version is an improvement. Does anyone know what the most likely cause of such lag could be, regarding that it is only taking place via selecting options from the 'right-click' menu on the start button? Thanks for any info :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:45:15 AM by thedarkness »

REDACTED

I searched a lot and found only this topic which mention my problem
After installing Avast on Win XP SP3 the right click takes a long time for the menu to appear. After un-install the problem gone.
I like avast very much.

Is there a solution?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:26:44 PM by Abbie3 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Hm, never had any such problem on any system ranging from a Windows 8.1 tablet, weak laptop or high end PC.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

Thanks for your answer, What can i do to solve this problem ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Repair avast!:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> avast!
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'm experiencing the same, i.e., lags on right clicking on Windows Explorer...
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

I used avast for years, now it is lagging my right click and causing problems with fully installing updates and applications. Either they have been hacked by pay security apps, or they are done providing free service to the mass. Either way I see no response from this post since 2014, guess they are ready to lose their users as this is not the only free security available. I am done scratching my head stressing this problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0