Author Topic: Avast creates thousands of 0-byte files on SD card  (Read 3284 times)

REDACTED

Avast creates thousands of 0-byte files on SD card
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
Hi all,

I noticed my SD card on Android 4.4.4 (Moto G) was slow to explore, and this was due to thousands of 0-byte files without extension at the top directory of the SD card.
The file is always empty and named after the same pattern, like a Windows registry key. Only hex characters, 32 of them, grouped as 8-4-4-4-12.
Example :
/storage/sdcard1/ab490a24-0a6c-47eb-80a8-037d06a5a165

These files need to be removed manually. I noticed they appeared only when some activity happened on the phone. They stopped being created when I de-activated the Avast App-shield and File-shield.

Therefore I think it comes from Avast. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick to stop that, or if it's a bug?

Thanks,

jb

REDACTED

Re: Avast creates thousands of 0-byte files on SD card
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:44 AM »
Hey jb,

I have the same issue, can confirm Avast Mobile is creating a large number of these null files, usually 4 or 5 a day, but sometimes dozens created in a short period.

Same phone, Moto G on 4.4.4

cheers
John

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
I have the same issue as well on my Android 4.4.4 Moto G 4G.
If Avast is indeed responsible, a fix would be more than welcome as it causes my old and broken single surviving USB port of my laptop to take years to read them all making.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
Same here  on Moto G 4G 1st Gen with Android 4.4.4. [using a 32GB microSD card] :(

Also have a Moto G 1st Gen 16GB - no prob there - doesn't have a card slot!

Clearly avast has a bug of some sort.