Author Topic: uBlock in Chrome (Off Topic)  (Read 41055 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
uBlock in Chrome (Off Topic)
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
This might seem silly, but is there a particular whitelist I should be using?
Or are the defaults good enough?

I'm use to AdBlock Edge in Firefox and I'm trying to find a solid ad blocker in Chrome.
Please don't suggest AdBlock Plus, I am not a fan of "paid for" whitelist(s).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:19:08 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: uBlock in Chrome (Off Topic)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »
This might seem silly, but is there a particular whitelist I should be using?
Or are the defaults good enough?

I'm use to AdBlock Edge in Firefox and I'm trying to find a solid ad blocker in Chrome.
Please don't suggest AdBlock Plus, I am not a fan of "paid for" whitelist(s).
I've never added a white list. Using it out of the box without any problems on both Firefox and Chrome.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
uBlock is a great adblocker, I liked it immediately when I found it. The default of 51.639 networkfilters + 33.312 cosmetic filters works like a charm and it is lightweight and does not slow the browser much like ABP does.
Whenever you wanna do some tweaking and you are an advanced user go to the uBlock Dashboard.
I incorporated this list there and it works like I thought: http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?showintro=0;hostformat=hosts

Enjoy this great adblocker not only to block ads but also as a protection against malvertisers and additional  malware. Yes, a decent adblocker is a must for every user that want to stay secure online.  ;)

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »
Thanks!

@ polonus

Peter Lowe's list is "on" by default.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: uBlock in Chrome (Off Topic) [Resolved]
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:22:47 PM »
I honestly don't mind Adblock Plus. I know about this whole scandal with Paid Whitelists. But that and NoScript keep me relatively protected from the dangers. Plus common sense of course.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
I do not mind ABP either, but uBlock is better and there is another reason - ABP is known to slow your browser down considerably, while uBlock isn't. The weight on the old cycles that is the thing that counts most for me, the whitelisting that can be made undone is a second matter. uBlock is also more versatile. Also works well next to uMatrix.
I have been a long time user of Palant's ABP, but now I have met uBlock I won't look back.

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
I too have no issue with ABP - I don't mind what they do in regard of whitelists, provided I'm allowed to override them.

Same thing 'Known to slow your browser down' I certainly haven't noticed this phenomenon. Many of these so called faster/slower statements (not necessarily in relation to this) you would need a stopwatch to determine any appreciable difference.

Don't get you ad blocker of choice get over laden with multiple lists.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:25 AM »
Hi DavidR,

The concept is different as we learn from a thread on the ABP forums.
lewisje there says:
  μBlock does not support regex filters, in case those are important (this is a major reason it's so resource-efficient), and I don't think it supports $sitekey

Greiner there says:
Actually, µBlock is more comparable to Disconnect than to Adblock Plus since µBlock's primary focus is not on adblocking (quote: "My main goal with µBlock is to help users neutralize as much as can be privacy-invading apparatus"). An important thing to consider when looking at stats is that blocking more doesn't necessarily mean blocking the right things. sitekey (only used in the Acceptable Ads initiative). (info from the ABP user forum).
LyleS says:
I prefer Ublock over Adblock Plus for one reason: A significant portion of conventional Internet advertising streams including those paying for white listing with Adblock plus are inadvertantly delivering malicious content. Ad-blocking is not just a page layout convenience, it is a necessity. There is no such thing as a trusted advertising source so long as custom content delivery is a permitted part of that service and they must not gain access to the browsers they target. Ublock is just one tool for reducing risk and it does to a greater degree than Adblock Plus.
So there is more to it than at first site - so uBlock is more privacy driven and also more focused on blocking malvertising - protection.

polonus

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:55:02 AM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »
This is where there is some cross over with other add-ons with NoScript and RequestPolicy blocking third party sites there will already be a good deal of blocking on these supposed ad delivery systems.

So many of these requests to ad servers won't even get a look in, so may not even trigger AdBlockPlus. I have been considering doing some tests in this regard by disabling AdBlockPlus and see how effective NoScript and RequestPolicy would be at blocking ads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »
Quite a history here of malvertising campaigns involving Doubleclick, read this article and updates: https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2014/09/large-malvertising-campaign-under-way-involving-doubleclick-and-zedo/
link article author = JÉRÔME SEGURA.
So a good adblocker without particular Doubleclick non-intrusibe ads whitelisting is recommended to be secure.
Those with script blockers and third party request blocking are also secure - ScriptSafe/UMatrix combination in Google Chrome and NoScript, RequestPolicy in firefox, eventually Policeman extension for firefox.

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
There are also other ways to tackle particular forms of ads here a script to remove forced download accelerators, managers, and adware on supported websites, called Adware Atomizer by noname120
It can be worked sandboxed inside Google Chrome installed via an extension called Tampermonkey (to run particular user scripts inside Google Chrome). When you have Tampermonkey installed install the script from here: https://greasyfork.org/nl/scripts/4294-antiadware
Similar specific user scripts: to Fight Naughty Ads, Go Fight For Your Right! AdsFight! by daYOda (THRSH), download here: http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/89322
And very interisting AdsSkipper: http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/118033
or use: https://adsbypasser.github.io/releases/adsbypasserlite.user.js

Scripts are very light and play a particular role to assist in your ad-blocking.  ;D

Only allow user scripts to run inside the Tampermonkey Greasemonkey sandbox that you trust,
there is something for everyone and every taste, also as I like it security related user scripts,
for instance to check on the jQuery versions websites run, etc. etc.

polonus

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »
I guess I shall switch over to uBlock.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
This might convince you:
With AdBlock Plus memory usage was 175,932KB and fell to 99,900KB.

With uBlock memory usage was 59,516KB and fell to 35,704KB.

I was quite stunned. They have exactly the same success rate in blocking ads. Needless to say, I've switched ad blockers.
Quote from AMReynolds on Lifehacker....a website with 15 trackers, the list of trackers I would not expect Lifehacker would have:
Amazon Associates
Reclame, Affiliate Marketing
ChartBeat
Analytics
Criteo
Reclame, Search
DoubleClick Spotlight
Bakens, Tag Manager, Analytics
Facebook Connect
Widgets, Social
Facebook Social Plugins
Widgets, Social
Google Adsense
Reclame
Google Analytics
Analytics, Analytics
Krux Digital
Bakens
NetRatings SiteCensus
Analytics
Quantcast
Reclame
ScoreCard Research Beacon
Bakens, Analytics
SimpleReach
Bakens
SkimLinks
Reclame, Affiliate Marketing, In-Text Ads
Twitter Button
Widgets, Social

Anyway, uBlock is cute and effective...

Damian

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
(For Pol):

As I've been following this topic, I was just curious if you happened to know the memory usage stats for Adblock Edge (ABE), compared to the others you mentioned?

Much obliged for any info!  :)

Pete
kls490

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
Hi Pete,

About half the size of ABP, yes ABP is a sort of memory hog,
also consider the additional lists you have installed naturally...
a quite good alternative on firefox to ABP as uBlock is on Chrome.
uBlock has been ported for firefox add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock/

Damian