Author Topic: Lagged download w/Windows Update after installation  (Read 1185 times)

REDACTED

Lagged download w/Windows Update after installation
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:48 AM »
Not sure if I'm in the right area at all... Feel free to move this.

So yeah. I'm one of those terribly lazy people who doesn't often install updates. I didn't do updates before I installed Avast a month or so ago (I've used Avast in the past though, just not on this particular hard drive until recently), but today I'm trying to update my computer because I've been Blue'ing out (BSOD), and it's likely attributed to a failing hard drive but I'm in denial about it atm still.

So... Started the update about 10 minutes ago and I'm still sitting at 0KB downloaded out of 35 updates. Normally if I disable shields for whatever amount of time, whatever download is trying to go (loading a website, actual download) will kick in appropriately and when the thing times out and the shields go back up, either the download is finished or it keeps going.

Just looked over at it and it somehow jumped to 162MB downloaded, nearly finished for that one update, but that hang has me worried... Is there a way to absolutely exit Avast! if it were to hang for an extended amount of time as a part of troubleshooting? I tried killing the process using Task Manager multiple times, but... it's still there. I don't see any other way to exit Avast! and that makes me rather nervous and makes me think back to the days of Norton being uninstallable.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Lagged download w/Windows Update after installation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:27 AM »
Why not simply disable the shields?