Author Topic: Not able to change email account to get lincense  (Read 3580 times)

REDACTED

Not able to change email account to get lincense
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:32:54 AM »
I just bought a new laptop to replaces one that crashed. I added the device to my Avast account and it installed the free antivirus. When I tried get a copy of the license, I noted that the email account associated with my account was still the old account I purchased the software from. I have changed my the email account on the website, but it does NOT change the sign up account. I contacted support by phone and discovered this fact when the technician stated he was sending a license to the old email account that no longer exists. I asked him to send the license to the correct email account. He stated he could not and I would need to send a ticket to get Corporate to change the email on my account. I tried to submit a ticket 4 times and each time the submission failed. However, I was getting automatic emails, stating the tickets had gone through. When I tried to log into the site to view the ticket status, the site would not recognize my email address and password. I tried resetting my password. Still could not get into the site. I called technical support again. I was told the ticket had probably failed again and the tech sent information to Corporate. There's no phone number to contact Avast Corporate or email contact. What's the next step? I'm just trying to get the license I paid for so I can activate my new laptop.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Not able to change email account to get lincense
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
What you have called was not avast but a third party and they can't help at all with problems like you have.
After adding the new email address, did you set it as primary ?
If not, do so.

https://support.avast.com
There you can send a ticket.
If you already did it, just have patience and do not create a new one or change a existing one.
That will put you back to the bottom of the stack.

No phone number or email ?
Never heard of a phonebook ?  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »
Yes I did set it to primary and deleted the other email address. If I understand you correctly, support is a third party vendor hired by Avast? It seems their billing is a third party vendor also. From what I've read here in the forum, no one in this forum is an Avast employee either? If all this is true, it's very enlightening and concerns me greatly. I don't have time to be patient while my new laptop is unprotected. I'll wipe Avast off of it and use another Internet security software and let the account expire, making sure I can not be billed again when it comes time to renew. Thank you for your attempt at assisting, but it seems there's really nothing this forum can do to help with my problem, except advise. At least your reply is prompt, compared to the company that took my money and doesn't provide the all of the services stated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
support is a third party vendor hired by Avast?
That is correct. And there really many complaints about that company. They are only after your money and don't provide anything near what you can call service. My advice is to never call them again.
It seems their billing is a third party vendor also
Actually there are two. Digital River and Nexway. Both of these handle financial transactions for a huge amount of companies (small, medium, large) and can be fully trusted. If you ever have a problem with them, contact them and things will soon be solved in a decent way.
From what I've read here in the forum, no one in this forum is an Avast employee either?
I don't know what you have read, but that is wrong. There are avast employees active on this webboard from all kinds of departments. You can recognize them easy. They have "avast team" underneath their webboard name.
I don't have time to be patient while my new laptop is unprotected.
It doesn't have to be unprotected. You can put avast free on it. And don't worry, it is using the same database and detection as the paid versions.
and let the account expire
If you have money to waste, give it to me. ;D My experience is that avast will solve your problem, just have patience.
making sure I can not be billed again when it comes time to renew
You can do this by looking up your order and disable the auto-renew option.
Thank you for your attempt at assisting
No need to thank me. If I didn't wanted to do so, I would have not done it.
but it seems there's really nothing this forum can do to help with my problem, except advise.
Well I, as well as the majority of users here, are just like you a user of the avast software. We can't see/change the information/data that avast have of users. But some of us do know a lot about the avast products, how the company works, what to do when there is a problem and such. Besides the individual knowledge we have, never underestimate the power of the collective :)

If you post your ticket numbers here, I will try to have someone from avast to have a look at them.
I can't promise anything ofcourse, but my experience is that your problem will be solved soon.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:40 AM »
Thank you, there's no need to give you the ticket numbers as my tickets were answered. Deciding not to play the game Avast has set here, I sat down and launched operation "Cyber Rash". I flooded the system with tickets. Then I followed your suggestion, Eddy, I did some research on the company and located a non 800 number for the Redwood office in California and left voice mail on each extension that I could. I was set to send another round of tickets and voice mails, when I received the fixes I requested. My strategy was simple, become an irritant. My tactics may or may not have had any bearing, but the outcome is the same. I have a copy of the license.

As to the automatic renewal, I found that you need to go to the billing companies as stated in the FAQ. Trying to access the Avast/Nexway portal didn't work, so I had to resort to emails through their system and my email service. I'm not sure if this link will work in forum or not, but this was the info for canceling automatic renewal: https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB136 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »
There really was need to become (as you call it) irritant.
If you simply had posted the ticket number here,
the problem would have been solved without you having to go through all that trouble.

Anyway, the problem is solved.