Author Topic: Does Avast block Olark?  (Read 2395 times)

REDACTED

Does Avast block Olark?
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
I have a client who wants to use this online chat application, but the Avast Chrome extension seems to be blocking it.  Is there
some way to whitelist that app or is there any other solution?

Ron

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Does Avast block Olark?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:28:53 AM »
Hello,
is there some Avast's alert window? If yes, post screenshot of it, please.

Milos

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
I have a client who wants to use this online chat application, but the Avast Chrome extension seems to be blocking it.  Is there
some way to whitelist that app or is there any other solution?

Ron

I see a lot of people mistake the browser extension for the webshield. And Avast doesn't really explain this well, so people end up thinking that they need the extension for filtering web traffic.
The browser extension doesn't do any blocking (only blocks advertising and web tracking, although it does some webtracking itself, so that's ironic) and is not needed for the webshield to work, the webshield is a separate program that works in the background to filter/proxy all web connections independent of the browser.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:03:53 PM by specimen9999 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
Great!  Thank you so much for explaining this.  It is confusing.  I have way too many problems with Chrome extensions, and generally avoid them, so I'm happy to know this is one more I can just turn off!  Really appreciate the info!

Ron