Author Topic: Grime Fighter was done and rebooted it won't go to windows 8 goes to sleep.  (Read 20661 times)

REDACTED

Bought Grime Fighter downloaded it. After doing it's thing, it said to reboot to go to windows. It didn't, it goes back to grime fighter and goes to sleep. Rebooted several times always goes straight to Grimme Fighter. Lets me go to the web. Can anyone help me. I had Windows 8. Went through Chrome.

REDACTED

This product is total crap. The product contains many bugs! Their customer support sucks too! Grime fighter is a poor product and a total waste of money! Haricharan India

REDACTED

Bought Grime Fighter downloaded it. After doing it's thing, it said to reboot to go to windows. It didn't, it goes back to grime fighter and goes to sleep. Rebooted several times always goes straight to Grimme Fighter. Lets me go to the web. Can anyone help me. I had Windows 8. Went through Chrome.

My frustration and anger is caused by Grimefighter acting on my Dell Inspirion 17 in the same way as it does for sugarbabe0054, except I can get to the Web by opening a new tab on the Grime Fighter screen, but it does not allow any actions such as reading one's email via an Outlook Web site.  Grimefighter starts as soon as I turn on the laptop.  Grimefighter starts sedating the computer then displays full screen: “Houston, abort shuttle launch. We can’t run Grimefighter on this computer.”

This screen then allows only two choices:

1. to click a button that takes me to another full screen, headed chrome://jumpshot/content/browse.html which only allows me to get back to the “Houston, abort shuttle launch. We can’t run Grimefighter on this computer” screen.

2.  to click the close X in the corner and go to another full screen which only allows Reboot or Shutdown. Reboot gets me back to the original choice of Grimefighter or Windows.

If I reboot, Grimefighter starts immediately to sedate the laptop.  My laptop is password protected, and I can never get to the password screen that unlocks Windows 8. 

After using a public PC at the library on campus to find the AVAST phone number, I phoned AVAST support at 1-966-951-7679.  An ESL speaker said it was a "misconfiguration" problem and that I would have to buy extended AVAST support for $170+.  I asked to speak to his supervisor.  He promised a phone reply within 24-48 hours.  Still waiting.

14 April 2015 - Info about AGHAST:

Avast was founded in 1988 by Eduard Kučera and Pavel Baudiš who encountered the Vienna Virus and started developing methods to help protect computers from it and others like it.

Corporate Office Address:

AVAST Software a.s.
Trianon Building
Budejovicka 1518/13a
Prague, 140 00
Czech Republic
Phone: 00 420 274 005 777
Fax: 00 420 274 005 888
http://www.corporateofficeowl.com/Avast/Corporate%20Office

AVAST Software, Inc.
255 Shoreline Drive, Ste 515
Redwood City, CA  94065
USA

http://www.computerhope.com/comp/avast.htm

http://gethuman.com/email/Avast/all/
helpdesk@avast.com
sales@avast.com

Avast Customer Service Reviews, Ratings, and Comments
http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Avast 
21.60 / 200 = TERRIBLE
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:14:21 PM by Richard223 »

REDACTED

My computer is doing the EXACT thing as Richard's. I just bought my computer and always used Avast without problems. Now I'm stuck and can't get online. Please help!!

REDACTED

My computer is doing the EXACT thing as Richard's. I just bought my computer and always used Avast without problems. Now I'm stuck and can't get online. Please help!!

I'm sorry to learn, Melissa, that you have the same problem.  This has made my very depressed.  i woke up this morning feeling just as badly as I did before I went to bed.  Depression is repressed anger, so I should focus more on how angry I am that a formerly dependable product has done so much damage to my laptop and my spirit.   >:(

REDACTED

REDACTED

Hello, I'd like to help you guys get back to Windows.  This is a non-trivial thing to fix in software, what has happened is the Grimefighter boot entry has been placed above the Windows boot entry in your systems firmware boot order.  To get back to Windows you will need to go in to your system firmware settings and update the boot order.  The UEFI firmware is implemented differently depending on the vendor and model of system, so there is not a good way to give generic step by step instructions.  Please PM me or post here the vendor and model of your system, and I will walk you through updating your boot order.

REDACTED

Also, I need to know which version of Windows you're running

REDACTED

If your system runs Windows 8 or 8.1, please try this:

Power the system on and immediately and rapidly press the ESC key, you might need to reboot and do this a couple of times because the system will often boot too fast to catch the key you're pressing

This should boot your system into "Automatic Repair"

Select "Advanced options" -> "Troubleshoot" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Command Prompt"

Login to your Windows account if it prompts you

In the command prompt type (without the quotes)  "bootrec /fixboot"  and hit ENTER

Then type "exit" and hit ENTER

Select "Turn off your PC"

Power on the PC with the power button

REDACTED

If the above "bootrec /fixboot" command doesn't work for you, you can remove the Grimefighter boot entry manually by booting back to the command prompt and doing this:

run "bcdedit /enum firmware" 

Scroll up and look for the Windows Boot Manager entry with a description of Avast! Grimefighter

There will be an identifier number for this entry, it will be a random string of numbers like {233a9f91-efd8-4771-a9c7-5f4ecc823458}

Hightlight the identifier, including the curly braces, this will copy the identifier, so you can paste it into the next command, to paste after highlighting, you hit the right mouse key

Scroll back down so you can run another command

To delete the Grimefighter entry run "bcdedit /delete {233a9f91-efd8-4771-a9c7-5f4ecc823458}" using the identifier you have copied for your Grimefighter entry instead of my example one, be very careful here and make sure the identifier you delete is the one for Grimefighter, double check it before hitting ENTER

REDACTED

Wow!  Thanks a lot, Ocotillo.  My Dell Inspiron 17 is using Window 8.  I will try your suggestions when I get home from work and let you know what success I have.   :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:25:59 PM by Richard223 »

REDACTED

Another thing you could do from the Windows command prompt, which might be an easier set of commands to run would be to simply rename the boot file that Grimefighter uses, that way Windows boot manager will boot the next available entry, which should be Windows.  The commands for that would be:

mountvol s: /s
cd /d s:\efi\avast
ren bootx64.efi old-bootx64.efi
exit

REDACTED

Wow!  Thanks a lot, Ocotillo.  My Dell Inspiron 17 is using Window 8.  I will try your suggestions when I get home from work and let you know what success I have.   :)

Great, I look forward to your results, could you give me the model number of your Inspiron 17, or PM it to me, it would usually be listed on the bottom of the system, or even better would be if you could PM me your service tag so I can look up the specs, I'd like to be able to reproduce this issue.  According to Dell  "Your Service Tag is located on the bottom of your laptop.The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. "

REDACTED

Hitting ESC at bootup did not give me the options you suggested.  However at the bottom right appeared two choices F2 Setup? and F12 Boot Options or vice versa.  I tried both and eventually found the Boot Manager.  There were two options:
Grime Fighter (ST500LT012-1DG142)
Windows Boot  (ST500LT012-1DG142)
I chose the second, and was able to log in to Windows. 

I opened AVAST! and unchecked GrimeFighter and unchecked the option to run AVAST! before bootup. 

I then upgraded my Dell Backup and Recovery by paying for Cloud storage of my files.  After installing an update to the Dell Backup, the software needed to restart the computer.  Grime Fighter reappeared!  I had to use ESC again to get back to choosing the Windows Boot. 

I uninstalled AVAST!, but I have not yet logged out of my laptop.  Perhaps Grime Fighter will greet me again. 

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your patience regarding this obviously frustrating situation.  Please let us know if you continue to encounter this issue or if you are able to boot in Windows normally now.

Many thanks,

Davidek