Author Topic: SuperDuper and Avast for Mac incompatibility  (Read 3036 times)

Offline specimen9999

SuperDuper and Avast for Mac incompatibility
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:48:23 AM »
When backing up/cloning a whole drive using the popular app SuperDuper! to a disk image, sparsebundle, Avast mistankingly will put in the Chest some of the sparsebundle bands, this action effectively damages the backup.

I had to boot into safe boot just to make sure there were no interferences by Avast, I also didn't turn the file shield off because the clone is suppose to work as the original (I.e. It would be cloned with file shield off).

I had noticed this before but because last time I clone the drive was months ago I had forgotten about this terrible behaviour
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:30:43 AM by specimen9999 »

Offline specimen9999

Re: SuperDuper and Avast for Mac incompatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »
Nothing?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
What exactly odes it mean " some of the sparsebundle bands"? Without the exact false positives
(if those files are FP) there is not much we can do about it.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
Mac OS X Leopard introduced the concept of the sparse bundle.[5] Instead of a single big file, a sparse bundle is a bundle (directory) containing a number of files called bands, each on the order of 8 MB in size. This means even though to the end user the sparse bundle appears as a single file, it is composed of smaller files. As of Mac OS X 10.8, the bands are 8 MiB (8 × 10242 byte) each. When the content of the image changes, one or more band files is changed, created, or deleted. This allows backup software (such as Time Machine) to operate more efficiently. A tool such as rsync may be used to keep one or more disk images consistent across various systems.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_image

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
I'm performing a Full System Scan with Avast which will likely turn up with no infections, I'll give you the results when it's over. The question is, if the full system scan does not find anything why would backing up to a sparsebundle would?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:16:46 PM »
What is the virus name you get?