Author Topic: Outlook 2002 - Can't Logon to POP3 Incoming Server  (Read 2505 times)

paulbasel

Outlook 2002 - Can't Logon to POP3 Incoming Server
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
I have used Avast Home with my Outlook 2002 SP3 client for a couple of years with no problems to speak of. Since Friday of last week, I cannot retrieve my email from my ISP. I have the latest updates for Avast and am running Windows XP SP1.

I've diagnosed part of the problem, but not the cause. If I stop the Internet Mail v. 4.6-691 provider, I can connect and retrieve my email. Restarting it results in the same error messages which basically state that the system cannot logon to the POP3 and SMTP servers.

There is one curious behaviour, i.e., when I boot up the first thing in the morning, Outlook retrieves one email and then the error message occurs. All subsequent Send and Receives throughout the day retrieve nothing.

I have repaired Outlook through the repair tool and even deinstalled Avast and reinstalled it, but no go. I do recall that I had a system crash on Friday, and when I restarted, Outlook complained about something which I can no longer recall. I have run all of my malware and virus checkers, and the system is clean.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:40:03 PM by paulbasel »

paulbasel

Re: Outlook 2002 - Can't Logon to POP3 Incoming Server
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »
I goooooofed. Somehow, ZoneAlarm blocked the Avast email scanner service and I never saw the ZoneAlarm alert asking if I wanted to allow it to connect to the Internet. I'm not sure there was one after I did the Avast reinstall. Hmmm,

Sorry for the post, all is well now.

Paul

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:44:15 PM »
all is well now
Not quiet, your system is very vulnarable to infections, hackers and such.

Visit THIS SITE and keep going there till ALL security patches/updates are installed for both Windows as well as Office.

paulbasel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 02:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice Eddy. If you are referring to the fact that I have not upgraded to XP SP2 it's because I run some proprietary software that is just not compatible with SP2. All other security updates have been installed. I also run behind a router with everything locked down.

Paul