Author Topic: grimefighter locked my pc  (Read 4590 times)

REDACTED

grimefighter locked my pc
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »
Down loaded the free avest last night turned my pc on 2day and grimefight came up witch I haven't paid for so can't moved passed grime fighter every time I reboot its back and I can't get it off or get to Windows so stuck with a pc I can't use help plz

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: grimefighter locked my pc
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Hello stacey,

I have forwarded this info to our Engineering team and asked them to investigate why this is happening.  Will reply once I have some news from them.

Best regards,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
I have the same problem too since yesterday in the morning, I tried to boot my laptop and I can't, because the Grime Fighter has locked it (even when I let it run for 7 hours at least): is that app malicious or a scam or something? Because I need my laptop: let me know how to revert an app what I don't paid for and I don't want it in Avast also (and yes: I'm writing this in another computer from Mexico).

Thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »
If you don't want it/didn't want it, why did you installed it ?

Simply changing your boot.ini file should let you boot windows again.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
If you don't want it/didn't want it, why did you installed it ?

Simply changing your boot.ini file should let you boot windows again.
Well, it was in Avast by default (like any other version of Avast in spanish, even the Free version), you can't use it directly because you should pay for unlock it or use a license, only you can use it in the smart scan or use it's own schedule in the options when is by default, but I don't have scheduled the use of Grime Fighter).

But I need boot correctly if I should follow the tip, Grime Fighter intercepts the boot and put it's own advertisement first.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
Please reply to my post at https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=169311.0 so I can try to help you

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »
I’m very disappointed not only in Grime Fighter but Avast in general. I am the owner of a small business and have purchased paid licenses for 5 stations for a number of years. I recently purchased paid subscriptions for Grime Fighter (for all stations) and encouraged my employees to use it.  Grime Fighter “sedated” one of the PC’s and wouldn’t complete the process. She ran it for over 8 hours. Finally we called Avast paid support. And spoke with Alvin at extension 104. This employee works out of her home office. Alvin told her her entire network was corrupted and it’s going to cost $500 to fix for a lifetime of technical support and a “free” manual cleanup on the computer every 30 days. I called Alvin immediately and told him to remove Avast from her PC. I was told there is no way of doing it since it can’t “go online” and that all 5 of the computers on her network were infected. I told him that was pure rubbish and I plan on taking Avast to small claims court in Colorado and hung up. He later contacted the employee and tried to negotiate the service for $250.00. Obviously a scam job and not what I would expect from Avast. 

We ended up calling Dell paid Support (Dell is our pc manufacturer).  After paying $75.00 they had her fire up her PC in safe mode with network support, removed Avast and Avast Grime Fighter and now everything works great. I’ll be replacing Avast on all of our PC’s. They’ve lost us as a customer.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
Finally we called Avast paid support. And spoke with Alvin at extension 104. This employee works out of her home office. Alvin told her her entire network was corrupted and it’s going to cost $500 to fix for a lifetime of technical support and a “free” manual cleanup on the computer every 30 days. I called Alvin immediately and told him to remove Avast from her PC. I was told there is no way of doing it since it can’t “go online” and that all 5 of the computers on her network were infected. I told him that was pure rubbish and I plan on taking Avast to small claims court in Colorado and hung up. He later contacted the employee and tried to negotiate the service for $250.00. Obviously a scam job and not what I would expect from Avast.
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
If anyone is still experiencing a perpetual reboot to Grimefighter, please allow Grimefighter to boot all the way to the prompt for starting a scan or logging in, there is an update that will try to fix the issue, Grimefighter will only download this update if it has internet.  It is not necessary to run a scan, only to boot into the Grimefighter application.