Author Topic: "We are unable to contact your device"  (Read 16571 times)

REDACTED

Re: "We are unable to contact your device"
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 05:24:55 AM »
I too facing the below issue.

just updated with Android lollipop.  It looks like everything is correct, the web portal says it is installed on the device and has obviously communicated with it... however, if I click LOCATE (the button says "off" but it is clickable so I assume that it should work), the page pops up a message saying "trying to contact your device"... then, after awhile says "We are unable to contact your device"...
- I tried CONTACT DEVICE to send a message to the phone... same result.
- I Tried switching off wireless in case there is a firewall issue and maybe only DATA will work... still no luck.
- I refreshed the page and the battery state changed and it says "last communication two minutes ago"... but still no action when we perform Locate.

Please help.

Thanks,
--Vijay

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:32 AM »
I am having the same problem on my rooted Samsung Note 3 - from the web it says I can't contact my phone - from my phone in Avast Count / Fix Connection Problems it has problems and none of the proposed solutions work.

This used to work. It sees the position of my phone from 1 week ago, but not any more.

Anybody made any progress on this?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
I have same problem. Avast support told me to remove my devices from my.avast and re add them. It helped....for a day or two and again same problem!

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 06:28:45 AM »
This has been an issue for a long time.
I believe the problem is that when the device goes to "sleep", Web commands aren't coming through.

What I found that helps SOMETIMES is when you call the device or send an sms which wakes the device up, and if you send the web command right then, it goes through most of the time.

I think there maybe no easy fix for this as if antitheft mobile keeps the device awake all the time to be able to receive Web commands it would just drain the device's battery. On the other hand there are lots of various messaging apps that are able to receive messages even when the device is sleeping, so maybe there is a fix.
On the other hand the send commands expire way too soon on my.avast portal, I think it should keep trying for a while longer.

In any case I'm very disappointed that these essential commands don't work and I've been paying premium for a year now or maybe longer.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
Taking my previous comment back. The little trick I described used to work before, but I just tried to send some Web commands to my device from browser running on my device! It didn't work! The phone was as awake as it can be, I was holding it in my hand trying to send some commands. It didn't work.

It might be a time to look for the alternative solution as these are the functions that I need in case my and/or my wife's mobiles are lost or stolen, and that is why I've been paying for premium!

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
got also this sort of problem, just that i tryed to turn on the "alert" or something, wich worked, but now i am unable to turn it off again! wich basicly means that my phone keeps telling me that it's "lost or stolen" with a nasty alert sound all the time and i just can't figure out how to turn it off again. my wireless doesn't work, even though it get's shown as working, and i'm also unable to connect to it through the phone network.. i just don't know what to do anymore. in fact i always liked avast products, but this sucks!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:16:00 PM by Adrian-F »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
ok, i certainly won't use antitheft anymore, cause i could actually remove it as "device-admin" and after i could UNINSTALL it! sorry, but this shouldn't have been possible at all! at least now the problem with the alert is solved  :o

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 03:35:08 AM »
ok, i certainly won't use antitheft anymore, cause i could actually remove it as "device-admin" and after i could UNINSTALL it! sorry, but this shouldn't have been possible at all! at least now the problem with the alert is solved  :o
Yes it's that easy if your phone isn't rooted. On rooted phones with rooted installations it's not that simple.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »
So this isn't fixed and Avast just keeps quiet and does sh*t? Not a single reply from them?
Not cool.