Author Topic: Problem in updating virus database  (Read 8970 times)

Jovy

Problem in updating virus database
« on: November 10, 2003, 06:45:49 PM »
I use Avast 4.1 Home edition.  When Avast wants to update the virus database, there is a message appearing in red saying that "there is a problem in trying to update the virus database".  I have tried to update manually but it didn't work.   So I tried to suppress avast, in order to reinstall it correctly, but I can't suppress it with the add/remove programs from my Windows (I use win XP).  Could you give me some explanations about the way to delete it and reinstall it ?  Thanks in advance :)
Anne-Marie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Problem in updating virus database
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 08:07:28 PM »
I use Avast 4.1 Home edition.  When Avast wants to update the virus database, there is a message appearing in red saying that "there is a problem in trying to update the virus database".  I have tried to update manually but it didn't work.   So I tried to suppress avast, in order to reinstall it correctly, but I can't suppress it with the add/remove programs from my Windows (I use win XP).  Could you give me some explanations about the way to delete it and reinstall it ?  Thanks in advance :)
Anne-Marie

You must correct set which Internet connection do you have (dial-up or DSL connection): Start avast! Antivirus > Settings > Update (Advanced) and choose the option. Some help could be found in this forum: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1677
The best things in life are free.

Jovy

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 08:39:35 PM »
Sorry ... doesn't work either.  Any other suggestions are welcome ;)

techie101

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 08:49:08 PM »
Jovy,

Hello. Would you try this for me first....
Let's see if your computer has installed the necessary files used to connect to the Avast server used for updates:
Go to Start, Run,  enter MSconfig....then go to the Start tab.
See if these files are listed:
1. ashdisp
2. ashmaisv
3. ashmon

Next question:  Do you have any other anti-virus software installed, or DID you have Norton?  Very important.

Does the "red" box give any other details besides that Avast iks having problems updating.  Does it say error 80 or server down...;.anything like that?

If you uninstalled, how did you perform the operation?

I'll be  here to help.
techie

Jovy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 09:03:49 PM »
Hello :)

your first question : "Ashmon" is not in the list in the Start tab. The two others are there.

2nd question : I have no other antivirus on my pc and never had norton installed.

3rd question : the red box gives no other message of error. Only problem for updating the virus db.

4th question : I did not uninstall .. I would, but I could'nt loll.  The add/remove programs doesn't want let me do it.  It says contact your help desk ... that's what I am doing ;)

Thanks for your patience and help  :)

Jovy

techie101

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 09:22:48 PM »
Jovy,

Ha ha.....Ok...Help desk contacted.  ;D
Looks like we are going to uninstall the program.

Go to http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html and follow the instructions for Avast 4.0.  I doubt you are using th older 32 version.  The file is an executable, so db clicking on it should do the trick.

This should remove a stubborn installation that have gone a stray.

If you are successful, then shut down ALL unecessary programs (usually only Systray and Explorer should remain).

Run the install and then try it.

I am puzzled as to why Windows would not remove the program using the Ad/Remove utility.

techie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 12:46:30 AM by techie101 »

Jovy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 09:29:18 PM »
ok let's try this ...
I come back to you soon (i hope ... ) ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 09:42:26 PM »
I am puzzled as to why Windows would not remove the program using the Ad/Remove utility.
techie

Me too!  :-\
Anyway Jovy, try what techie said. Let us know what happened. But first you can see if you have the version 32: click on avast icon and choose the About. What is in the window? What version of avast do you have (if you does not desinstall it yet)  ;)

Jovy

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 10:45:22 PM »
Me again ... sorry I did not yet test what techie says ... I will try it tomorrow and revert to you.

I checked in the "about" I have the version 4.1

See you soon

Jo

techie101

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 12:16:58 AM »
Jovy,

You DO have Avast 4.1....Great!  The build shoud be 289.  This is also in the About info.

At least we know that we are working with the latest version.  Lets check the build also.  Some earlier builds were a little troublesome.

I'll be waiting for your reply tomorrow.

Good luck,
techie

Jovy

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 11:24:58 AM »
Hi Techie,

I checked the build it's 289 ...

I will try to uninstall this version with the explanations you gave me yesterday.

See you soon.

Jo

Jovy

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 11:58:03 AM »

YEAAAAHHHHHH ! it works again :o)

I have done the removal of avast with the removal tool on the site and then reinstall a new version.  And everything seems to be ok now :o)

Thank you for your patience and help Techie and Technical :)

Let's try to stay in touch.  See you soon.

Lots of kisses

Jovy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2003, 12:59:40 PM »
Quite happy with you...
It's well known that previous versions of avast! must have a full update (downloading a new setup file)... There are some other foruns about this and Igor is the avast team expert on the setup  ;D

Best regards. Technical.

techie101

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 06:52:18 PM »
jovy,

It's great when my magic works.  ;)

We are here to help whenever you have a question.  Keeping in contact is easy.  You can use the email or IM feature of the forum or post a new topic.

Normally the forum is devoted to Avast stuff (although I get in hot water for saying that) but we can also help with virus related issued or even other software.

Glad you could join us at the forum.  Hope to hear from you soon on a positive experience.

Take Care,
techie

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:55:25 PM by techie101 »