Author Topic: Can you make a delete personal information thing for Mac?  (Read 1813 times)

REDACTED

Can you make a delete personal information thing for Mac?
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »
I had an old Mac laptop that I want to throw out and it was like really hard to even find out how to format the hard drive. Actually I don't even know if it is possible. Then I went through all the stuff on the Mac laptop and I realized that it asks for a lot of personal information that gets stored on the laptop. I had my phone number, address, e-mail and all that stuff, plus my name and I am sure there is more info on my iTunes account and then there was all the stuff on my keychains and just other stuff that doesn't get deleted when you want to get rid of your computer and you want to delete everything and throw it away.

So I was wondering if Avast! can make a program for when you want to throw away your computer, laptop or cellphone so it deletes everything that might be personal because I want to throw it away, but there is too much personal stuff on it that maybe I don't know about. I can't get rid of the user name drive that has my full name steveburrell on it because Mac OS X has to use it for some reason and I just wanted my name off of the computer, but I can't because Mac OS X needs it. It just can't be renamed, but I don't know how to get rid of it if I want to throw it out.

There is just those scenarios that are going on and if lots of people throw away their computers and the places that you give them too are not responsible for the personal information you give away, which tells me that information thieves are working at these places where you throw it away and they will lift the information before they throw it away. They would be paid lots of money to work there by other people outside of their place of employment.

So I was wondering if you can protect people like me who doesn't know a thing about programming, but like has a general idea of what is going on, by making a software program like that.

Offline specimen9999

Re: Can you make a delete personal information thing for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Boot it up with recovery partition or installation CD, got to Disk Utility and format the drive (choose to write zeros on the free space/secure delete to make data unrecoverable).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:08:38 PM by specimen9999 »