Author Topic: Tweak DNS for faster access in XP.  (Read 48042 times)

Mastertech

Re: Tweak DNS for faster access in XP.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 03:43:57 PM »
Any Windows Update can replace the TCPIP.sys file with a different version if Microsoft decides it is necessary for that update. It can either replace it with the original or an updated version.

The Event ID Patcher for TCP/IP will work around this if you ignore the warning during patching. Normally however Windows File Protection will put the file back immediately after you replace it. There are ways to disable this protection but it is definitely not recommended for obvious reasons. To check to see if the TCPIP.sys file has been replaced simply rerun the Event ID Patcher and check the limit, if it is at what you changed it to then there is no need to repatch. I frequently check this after any new updates and post a warning accordingly.

With the default file protection in place you simply cannot replace a system file by copying over it. It will always be reverted. You either have to disable the protection or use a third party utility to force it.

toadbee

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 03:48:05 PM »
To each their own in regards to hosts files.

Bottomline is it is effective. And is effective regardless of browser or email client.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »
Any Windows Update can replace the TCPIP.sys file with a different version if Microsoft decides it is necessary for that update. It can either replace it with the original or an updated version.

The Event ID Patcher for TCP/IP will work around this if you ignore the warning during patching. Normally however Windows File Protection will put the file back immediately after you replace it. There are ways to disable this protection but it is definitely not recommended for obvious reasons. To check to see if the TCPIP.sys file has been replaced simply rerun the Event ID Patcher and check the limit, if it is at what you changed it to then there is no need to repatch. I frequently check this after any new updates and post a warning accordingly.

With the default file protection in place you simply cannot replace a system file by copying over it. It will always be reverted. You either have to disable the protection or use a third party utility to force it.

Exactly, and this is what you get when you re-run TCP/IP slowdown fix once it's already been applied:

Disabling default file protection is definitelly not good thing to do... that's why we have all those wonderful auto-patching utilities just like TCP/IP slowdon fix for tcpip.sys or for example, UXTHEMEpatcher for uxtheme.dll (for additional Windows Visual Styles and themes)

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 08:14:38 PM »
Hi thread posters,

Sometimes the site is not accessible, so when DNS is not cached, the site cannot be reached the next time it is again accessible. In that case go to Start Execute -cmd and give in: ipconfig/flushdns.

I can see the dangers in a hosts file that is not checked (checksum) or has no back-up, when it is altered deliberately by viruses or to redirect to phishing sites.

Some like FWF here still see the good ad-blocking function of a hosts file. If not a lot of people used it for this purpose, why there are sites listing ad- and malware sites like:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/. For me the nitty gritty starts when this list has to be updated and worked on regularly because some adservers and sites to block change addresses.

But there are more stones  to strike a bird and this is a beautiful script in conjunction with the hostsfile, use the Dan Pollock script to replace ads to nothingness, save it as jar file into Chrome in Firefox. I see the ad vaporize allmost at once.

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:17:17 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »
Polonus did you read this whole thread?
Sometimes the site is not accessible, so when DNS is not cached, the site cannot be reached the next time it is again accessible. In that case go to Start Execute -cmd and give in: ipconfig/flushdns.
You don't have to do this if you disable DNS from caching failed look ups to begin with. And Tech already mentioned this.

There are much better ways to block ads without the DNS slowing Hosts File.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2005, 04:34:25 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

What happens if people remove the MSJVM completely with this removal tool to be found here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4158.html?. It is not generally supported by MS, only for admins etc. because the changes for XP are irreversible. How does that effect your OS and other programs? What are the dangers? Can this also be done for older platforms as well like in Windows 98SE?. And what replacement do you have, also what are the consequences of such a choice? Can you explain on this please.
Then a second point, why people put special hosts lists still on the net? Why anti-spyware programs still propagate the use? Is your story exclusively for the Win2xxx and the Win XP (Pro) etc users? What comes after MSJV is no longer supported, that is after 2007? Will MS look for a foreseeable future where Java and Javascript's role is taken over by other instant script languages?

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 04:38:06 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 01:06:08 AM »
Polonus read this: Optimize XP - Spyware Protection
What happens if people remove the MSJVM completely with this removal tool to be found here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4158.html?. It is not generally supported by MS, only for admins etc. because the changes for XP are irreversible.
What happens? You don't get infected with autoinstalling spyware. The tool is necessary however you have to also run the registry fix otherwise it will not be properly removed. You can use the tool on any version of windows. FYI Windows XP SP1a and SP2 remove MSJVM by default. As for it being irreversible, it is as far as MSJVM goes, but you don't want or need it so this is a good thing.

How does that effect your OS and other programs?
It doesn't, just install Sun's Java instead.

What are the dangers?
None.

Can this also be done for older platforms as well like in Windows 98SE?
Not only can it be done it is mandatory. This is the single biggest exploit that no one fixes.

. And what replacement do you have, also what are the consequences of such a choice? Can you explain on this please.
Java is made by Sun get the latest version from Sun. People think Microsoft made MSJVM, no they licensed it, it is really Java v1.1.4 where Sun is up to v1.5.0_05. Consequences are you do not get infected with autoinstalling spyware anymore.

Then a second point, why people put special hosts lists still on the net?
Because they think they need them.

Why anti-spyware programs still propagate the use?
Which ones? Spybot comes with a very limited one as an "extra" option that is not by default enabled. They rarely update it and don't recommend using it.

Is your story exclusively for the Win2xxx and the Win XP (Pro) etc users? What comes after MSJV is no longer supported, that is after 2007? Will MS look for a foreseeable future where Java and Javascript's role is taken over by other instant script languages?
This effects all versions of Windows. Microsoft was sued by Sun for violating their licensing agreement and don't really care about Java support. The latest version of Java is free to download and install for all Windows users Win98SE and newer. If you have an older OS you can dig up an older version of Java but no one should be running anything older then that and realistically if you are running Windows you should only be using 2000 or XP.

MSJVM serves no purpose but to leave large security exploits on your machine.

Mastertech

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 01:13:43 AM »
Also some may be wondering if anything is dependant on MSJVM. As you would suspect some Microsoft products are but this is due to the products dependance on Internet Explorer, simply upgrading to IE v6 fixes the problem.

MSJVM dependancies

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 09:40:14 AM »
Some other products are also dependent, Mastertech. Encyclopedia Britannica for one. (An older version, obviously, 2002, I think.)

Edit: 2000, in fact. Edit of Edit: No, it really was 2002.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 04:25:37 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2005, 10:01:08 AM »
I'm not sure about that, I would have to test it. I suspect that MSJVM was not removed properly or the problematic registry key still existed. Java is Java.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2005, 10:04:11 AM »
The program depends on MS Java. There may be others. This needs to be borne in mind if using the MS Java removal tool.

Edit: EB is listed on the MS website as one of the programs which doesn't work under SP2, no doubt because SP2 removes MSVJM as you say. The program prompts for its installation CD and then tries to install MSJVM if opened on a SP2 system.

What are the dangers?
None.

Not quite. Some older programs may stop working. An update may cure the problem. (I wasn't too bothered about losing EB: It came free with the computer.)

This is why MS took it [the removal tool] off their site and you have to go to Major Geeks to get it.

The security argument for removing is compelling as you say, Mastertech, but MS itself does advise caution in the 'transitioning' process:

Which computer programs use the MSJVM?

A number of products use the MSJVM in custom Java applications for clients or servers, as well as Java applets. These may be business-to-business or business-to-consumer applications and Web sites. They depend on the MSJVM to be installed in order to work properly. Java applets start automatically and may perform a variety of functions, ranging from simple loan calculators or stock quote tickers to more complex functionality for the services the Web site provides. MSJVM-dependent software may originate with:

* Microsoft. A list of tested Microsoft MSJVM-dependent applications is available.
      Review the application list (149 KB Portable Document file)
    * Third parties. Most independent software vendors (ISVs) with MSJVM-dependent applications provide dependency and upgrade information on their Web sites.
    * Internally developed applications. Businesses may also have custom programs developed internally or by a software vendor or consultant that may have dependencies on the MSJVM. Check with your developer, consultant, or software vendor to identify any dependencies on the MSJVM.

How can I determine my dependencies on the MSJVM?

Microsoft is providing customers with developer and IT pro versions of the MSJVM Transition Guide, which provides a comprehensive starting point for analyzing MSJVM dependencies. The MSJVM Diagnostic Tool is designed to help businesses with complex IT infrastructures easily run dependency analyses. It checks for the use and dependencies of programs and Web sites and issues a customized report that identifies such dependencies.

* Get the transition guide for developers (389 KB Portable Document file)
    * Get the MSJVM Diagnostic Tool

Businesses may also have custom or internally-developed programs that may have MSJVM dependencies. If your business relies on such programs, you should check with your developer, consultant, or software vendor to identify MSJVM dependencies, and to learn about the steps you should take to minimize those dependencies and the potential impact on your business.
To help you assess your dependencies, answer the following questions:
Are you using a version of Windows that predates Windows XP SP1a?
If so, you probably have MSJVM installed on your computer.
Are you using other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Works or Microsoft Publisher?
If so, you should review the list of tested Microsoft software for possible MSJVM dependencies.

* Review the list of dependent applications (149 KB Portable Document file)

The applications list includes options for removing dependencies. For additional guidance, see the MSJVM Support page.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:15:59 PM by FreewheelinFrank »

Mastertech

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »
First of all the list of dependant applications Microsoft lists clearly shows the far majority of dependants use IE, which in v5 required MSJVM, this is not the case with v6. I suspect this is the problem with EB but I have no reason to check. I honestly don't care. Any Java dependant application should be Java compliant, if it is not then you should contact the manufacturer of the application for a fix. MSJVM is NOT Java compliant, which is why Sun sued them to begin with.

Regardless SP1a and SP2 remove MSJVM. Anybody who installs it on top of this clearly doesn't understand the security problems nor what it means to be Java compliant.

So I will repeat there are no Dangers of removing it.

See this is the problem. You don't grasp what is going on here. We have people recommending useless Hosts Files yet not plugging the most significant security whole for spyware? Ironic? ???
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:44:00 PM by Mastertech »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2005, 12:50:40 PM »
Why do you assume everybody is really stupid?

I had Encylopedia Britannica 2000 installed before SP2 came out in 2004 (Duh!)

I hadn't used the program for a year anyway, so I didn't mind  uninstalling it.

For anybody with an older system, there there is a risk that some software will cease to function if MSJVM is removed.

That's why MS has the advice on their site.

Anybody with such a system can evaluate that advice and your own as they see fit.

Some may even notice some of the grey areas in life that seem to be oblivious to you, Mastertech.

Mastertech

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2005, 12:58:13 PM »
What software? You say some, show me a list that includes no workaround. I have no way to test EB to see if it will work with Sun's Java properly installed. This is the problem you are making declarations as if some huge list of applications exists that breaks. This not even remotely true. So far you have mentioned one unconfirmed application, that doesn't even relate to "some".

Don't you understand how significant this is? You browse a website with Java enabled and malware will autoinstall itself, no warning, no nothing. Now I am starting to get a much clearer picture of this and why people think they need hosts files. Why fix the problem when you can prolong it.

Mastertech

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2005, 01:03:50 PM »
I just realized something, where would all these online "security forums" be if no one had spyware on their computers? (not talking about Avast). I don't see a single one giving anyone good advice, except info that makes them dependant on coming back.