Author Topic: Tweak DNS for faster access in XP.  (Read 48044 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Tweak DNS for faster access in XP.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »
I wish you'd stop shouting, I'm not a child.

I fully understand how significant the problem is. That's why I ditched the program rather than reinstall MSJVM.

The problem with Encylopedia Britannica is not 'unconfirmed': it is listed on the MS website along with 'some' other programs.

You obviously have a vastly superior intellect to the rest of us, MasterTech, and it must be very frustrating for you that I choose to experiment with a hosts file.

Well tough tit.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
The problem with Encylopedia Britannica is not 'unconfirmed': it is listed on the MS website along with 'some' other programs.
I found nothing of the sort.

Windows XP Application Compatibility Update (December 17, 2001)
Windows XP is designed to support additional programs after you install it. The Windows XP Application Compatibility Update is a package of software updates that addresses common program issues. These updates help Windows XP to support these programs or to avoid common issues that you may experience with these programs. Microsoft recommends that you download this compatibility update if you are having problems with any of the programs that this update is designed to support.
Here it lists EB 2002 but this has nothing to do with Java but XP in general and the fix is provided.

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer.
This article contains a list of programs that are known to experience loss of functionality when they run on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer. If you are using a program that appears on this list, contact the software vendor for more information. Microsoft is updating this list with new information as we receive it. Therefore, check this article frequently.
Here it lists:
Encyclopedia Britannica 2000 Deluxe  1  Encyclopedia Britannica  32-bit and 64-bit (NX)  http://www.encyclopediabritannica.com (http://www.encyclopediabritannica.com) Java rendering does not function after you install this program.
#1 this is NOT EB 2002 it is EB 2000 Deluxe. #2 it does not mention if installing Sun's Java fixes the problem. #3 This is the ONLY Java related issue on the list.

So again please provide proof of your claims. Because like I said it is perfectly safe to uninstall MSJVM.

As for the Hosts File as with other issues I have discussed you are more concerned with someone telling you something then looking at the facts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:35:23 PM by Mastertech »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »
You don't give up, do you?

If you are here to 'tell people something', then you are in the wrong place.

This is not a soapbox for you to expound your wisdom.

#1 this is NOT EB 2002 it is EB 2000 Deluxe. #2 it does not mention if installing Sun's Java fixes the problem. #3 This is the ONLY Java related issue on the list.

I'm really getting fed up of answering petty little points, but as you insist,

-please note my edit to the program version
-If you'd asked I could 've told you the answer
-so what? I just mentioned it as an example. I don't really care if it's the only application in the universe to be dependent on MSJVM.

I suspect there are more, especially in-house apps in the business world. There may even be people who are still running outdated systems and haven't addressed these issues yet- Some companies still use Windows 2000 because XP hasn't been fully evaluated.

Anybody updating an old system needs to exercise a tad of caution, as the MS site makes clear.

Look at any of my postings and see that I'm always going on about security vulnerabilities in Java engines, and the importance of switching to and updating Sun JRE.

I think you'll find similar advice from others here.

Some people have even been kind enough to let me know that they have found my advice useful. So you see, people do get the message if they want to hear.

I just realized something, where would all these online "security forums" be if no one had spyware on their computers? (not talking about Avast). I don't see a single one giving anyone good advice, except info that makes them dependant on coming back.

I find your tone patronising. You can't force advice down people's throats, just give good advice and let 'them' choose to take it if they want. And give 'them' a little more credit as well. We can't all be MasterTechs, and most of us don't even want to be,

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2005, 02:13:06 PM »
I don't really care if it's the only application in the universe to be dependent on MSJVM.
You have NO proof it is dependant to begin with. You have no proof there are other applications out there that are.

I suspect there are more, especially in-house apps in the business world. There may even be people who are still running outdated systems and haven't addressed these issues yet- Some companies still use Windows 2000 because XP hasn't been fully evaluated.
So far you have given massive assumptions when you can't prove your points. The evidence speaks differently. I support thousands of customers and end users and have no had a single remote incident related to doing this properly. Not to mention SP1a and SP2 do this for you! I find no proof on Microsofts whole website. Other then you need to make sure you are running IE 6 and install Sun's Java.

So, on 2000 it is just as important to uninstall it and is even more important to remove it since no Service Packs do this for you.

Anybody updating an old system needs to exercise a tad of caution, as the MS site makes clear.
No they don't. Caution for what? What is going to happen by removing MSJVM, they will not be vulnerable to auto-installing spyware? This unfounded paranoia without facts is illogical.

I find your tone patronising. You can't force advice down people's throats, just give good advice and let 'them' choose to take it if they want. And give 'them' a little more credit as well. We can't all be MasterTechs, and most of us don't even want to be,
What I said in that post was clear. Apparently I have to force common sense down some peoples. You are so hung up on "choosing". You responses is proof why I don't give most people credit. You have a choice. Either A. Use IE and not get infected with Malware by removing MSJVM or B. Choose to ignore facts and get infected. So please choose away.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:34:09 PM by Mastertech »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2005, 02:24:41 PM »
Mastertech, no need for this tone:

Apparently I have to force common sense down some peoples.

We don't need an unfriendly help here...
The best things in life are free.

Mastertech

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
Then please ask others to stop making personal refences in the replies. Are these comments conviently overlooked?

Why do you assume everybody is really stupid?

What about the tone of all his replies?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:02:41 PM by Mastertech »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2005, 03:11:40 PM »
Matertech is telling some useful information and if people find it offensive than I don't know what they think... maybe jealousy again ? We had that before...

I am so tired of this s**t...

No strange tone from the Mastertech's side at all... all he is trying to tell people is to help if they are wrong, and sometimes it looks like they are...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 05:30:09 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Mastertech

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2005, 03:23:22 PM »
S.Z., thankyou. I am trying to STOP people from getting infected with Spyware. If removing MSJVM does something truly catostrophic or breaks even one commonly used application that has no patch then someone please let me know. Because I truly want to know. I have not been able to find any legitimate reason to keep MSJVM. None, ZERO. MSJVM is Java. Any application that is correctly written in Java will work with the real Java otherwise there is a problem with the program that needs to be corrected by the manufacturer. So far there is no remote evidence of this. Anyone disputing this needs to provide proof otherwise.

As for assumptions:
If you want to go on assumptions I can give you one. Microsoft pulled the MSJVM removal tool because they knew ALL Java applications broke after running it even after installing Sun's. The reason? A left over registry key. Which you can download a fix for from my website for. I have strong suspicions this is the problem most people are having with any Java related problem after removing MSJVM with the tool.

darth.mikey

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »
IMO Mastertech has proven that he is right and had no intention to insult anybody or anything like that only to try and make us understand something here, i am personnaly glad he is here on the forum cause i already learned alot from him and i'm hoping that he will continue to post here so i can learn more... ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2005, 03:29:13 PM »
Exactly ! One correction though, Miha...

...i'm hoping that he will continue to post here so I can learn more...

So, WE ALL can learn more I would say...  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2005, 03:33:03 PM »
As for assumptions:
If you want to go on assumptions I can give you one. Microsoft pulled the MSJVM removal tool because they knew ALL Java applications broke after running it even after installing Sun's. The reason? A left over registry key. Which you can download a fix for from my website for. I have strong suspicions this is the problem most people are having with any Java related problem after removing MSJVM with the tool.

Where Mastertech ? I couldn't find the link... can you provide a direct link to that fix ?

Thanks in advance !

Mastertech

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 03:40:04 PM »
Link

Look under Microsoft Java Virtual Machine v1.1.4 Removal Tool. Labeled "Registry Fix". Please read the instructions carefully before proceeding. Any mistakes are easy to fix it just takes less time to do it right the first time. ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2005, 03:44:10 PM »
Thanks I appreciate your help Drew... thanks again !

darth.mikey

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2005, 03:53:26 PM »
Exactly ! One correction though, Miha...

...i'm hoping that he will continue to post here so I can learn more...

So, WE ALL can learn more I would say...  ;)

Yes Sasha you're totally right there.... ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2005, 04:33:35 PM »
If you are here to 'tell people something', then you are in the wrong place.

This is not a soapbox for you to expound your wisdom.
FreewheelinFrank
Would you prefer that we listen to yours?
Some of us happen to enjoy his wisdom. Wisdom combined with knowledge is rare and I for one,
am glad Mastertech is sharing some of it us.

We don't need an unfriendly help here...
What's so unfriendly? It's truthful, correct and straight to the point.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet